hi guys

i've recently got into photography seriously and i need some advice on how to setup my workflow as i'm getting quite confused...

To give you some info about me, i travel quite extensively (3-4 times a year, 2-4 weeks per trip) so usually hv lots and lots of photos. I've traditionally used a bridge camera and shot only in JPG with no PP work. Usually average around 1000-1500 photos per trip. Also tend to use a camera at family events etc.

I got into DSLR's around the beginning of this year and hv decided to shoot RAW when i travel (to give me the greatest amount of latitude in making corrections)...

I'm very competent with a computer, and i'v got a iMac 24" and a 17" Macbook Pro.

Until now, i've always used iPhoto and basically imported the photos from my camera to iphoto and thats it.

I've also recently acquired Photoshop CS4, and will be purchasing a full copy of Capture NX2, and perhaps Aperture.

The thing that frustrates me about iphoto and Aperture (from what i can tell using the trial version) is that they copy the files to their own library file. I'd prefer a program such as View NX which i can just point to one of my own directories and it'll edit the pictures from my own directories.

that aside, can ppl give me an indication of what their workflow is like? Does using ViewNX make Aperture and/or iphoto redundant?

My two main photo editors will be Capture NX2 and Photoshop for more difficult tasks only. How do ppl duplicate/backup their photos? Do you make double copies of the original RAW files and work on the duplicate...do you make keep copies of the files that you dont want/havent worked on?

any feedback on your entire process from copying to the comp onwards would be great!

thanks in advance..

cheers
Jeelan