User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lowepro flipside 400

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally pick mine up Thursday, $164.00, not sure if I'm allowed to say where but if you PM me I'll spill the info.
    regards
    Bill

Nikon D90 with grip. 35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8D. 18-105VR. 70-300VR
    SB-600. GF Lightsphere. Stroboflip flash bracket.
    Benro A357 & B2 ball head.
    and a bag full of gadgets.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill44 View Post
    I finally pick mine up Thursday, $164.00, not sure if I'm allowed to say where but if you PM me I'll spill the info.
    Good price. mine's $20 more locally and dropped off for free!
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, can I ask, if used the majority of the time only lightly laden, is the 400 overkill? Meaning is it really too much bag to carry around for light trips maybe involving Sydney public transport etc?

Edit: You know what would be good? A bag that has an additional large compartment that can be zipped/clipped on or off depending on whether you need to travel light or heavy.
    Last edited by abitfishy; 09-02-2010 at 3:45pm.
    Have: Nikon D90; Tamron 17-50mm 2.8; Tokina 50-135mm 2.8; Tamron 18-270 'alphabet' lens; Nikkor 50mm 1.8; 1x Nikon SB-600; 3x Yongnuo YN560 flash, 1x Yongnuo YN465 flash.

Want: Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro;

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abitfishy View Post
    OK, can I ask, if used the majority of the time only lightly laden, is the 400 overkill? Meaning is it really too much bag to carry around for light trips maybe involving Sydney public transport etc?

Edit: You know what would be good? A bag that has an additional large compartment that can be zipped/clipped on or off depending on whether you need to travel light or heavy.
    For light trips I take my Lowepro TLZ-Mini . TLZ or just a Catepillar sling bag I picked up at luggage shop. The latter can hold either of the bags previously mentioned and a second lens (in it's case), mob phone etc easily. I took the bag to a boot maker who added straps and clips so I can take my tripod along too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Lowepro flipside 400

I'm actually surprised by how small it is. I lug a laptop backpack around for work, and find the Lowepro to be roughly the same size but shorter in length (sits above belt level). I'm not particularly tall either.

It might be overkill to some if u aren't taking a lot of gear, but it's no humungous beast either. Probably the same size as a typical high-school backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Darchangel (aka Pete)
    Please CC my images.

"Before judging a man, always walk a mile in his shoes. That way when you judge him you're a mile away, and you have his shoes"

Canon 7D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-300 f/4.5-5.6, Visatech Solo monoblocks

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowepro Flipside 400 AW arrived today and I am about to head out with it.

Fits nearly all my gear: will have to choose my lenses carefully.

Only downside is the 155 XPro-B is top heavy on the tripod carrier, hangs back and wobbles all over the place. Fortunately the 155 XPro-B snaps apart in a jiffy and can be stored and strapped into the side pouches well. I may be taking it over to the local to have some additional straps put on to support the tripod better so it can do the job nicely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have had the flipside 400 for a year or so, carries a 20d. 100-400l. 24-105 l, nifty 50, 100mm macro , 580 flash and some stuff, only draw back is my older style heavy frotto swing around a bit, but i love it, i took it to vietnam and walked for ages
    I've done so many things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting. ~Moe, The Simpsons

http://Grae-and-co-images.com/

canon 5dmk 2, some lenses, a couple of sticks to hold them up, a thing that make sun at night, and a sense of adventure

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wallywoo333 View Post
    i have had the flipside 400 for a year or so, carries a 20d. 100-400l. 24-105 l, nifty 50, 100mm macro , 580 flash and some stuff, only draw back is my older style heavy frotto swing around a bit, but i love it, i took it to vietnam and walked for ages
    To combat the swinging tripod, I added a peice of nylon strapping and buckle (can get this from any hiking/outdoors shop) and attached it to the tripod and the lift handle on the top of the bag. The tripod hugs in really tight now.

Next week I'll make up a quick release version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darchangel View Post
    Probably the same size as a typical high-school backpack.
    Thanks mate. I just measured my wifes work bag (backpack) compared to the quoted specs on the Lowepro 400 and they are pretty similar, so you're right, its not overly huge. And that spare space can always be used for lunch, book to read on the train etc etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one question I couldn't get an answer to from the myriad of reviews on the net was whether the tripod holder can handle something like a Manfrotto 055XBPRO or similar
    There a quite a few good reviews on B&H about this bag. Most people who commented on this said that tripods tend to hang too far from the centre of balance. I haven't used mine with a tripod yet, but people have suggested trying to carry it on the side or even across the top.

I searched and searched for a replacement for my Slingshot bag, which is fantastic but got too small. Like others found, the 400AW kept coming up as the right bag and it gets excellent reviews compared to the others I was looking at. I'm happy with mine after a few weeks but there is no doubt that if you fill it up, you will feel it after an hour or two. Others may have tougher backs than mine but I get a bit sore after a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back from Sydney with my new one. Not being one to waste the visit to Sydney we fill it up with bottles of Chinese cooking wine that we can't get up here on the Central Coast. Far more weight than the camera gear will be and it felt like a dream on my back, BTW that's a 65yo back too.

The big thing is to make use of the many adjustments on the straps, a small adjustment can make a big difference in comfort, particularly as to getting some of the weight onto your hips instead of it all being on your shoulders (old army trick).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, sorry to resurrect this thread, but having just started putting my new gear in the bag, I've snagged an issue I'm interested in hearing your opinions on:

Since the zip doesn't go quite to the bottom of the bag, I find that it constantly flips back in my face when I'm trying to take gear in and out of it, and it makes it a pain in the proverbial to carefully position a heavy camera\lens combo into the bag.

Does anyone else have this issue? Will it get better over time as the foam degrades a bit to make it easier to bend the backplate back (mine is brand new)? Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When loading (or unloading) new Flipside, put bag on table with bottom facing you, undo bag and hold flap under chin, load/unload bag.

Will get better with time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, ok, thanks for that, will persevere with it. Luckily I have a spare chin to assist the first one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do the same with mine. It's not as easy to get things in & out of the bottom as it could be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yah bottom is hard but i leave stuff I dont use often there, such as a rainproof jacket!!
    NIGH -KON

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, sorry to resurrect this thread, but having just started putting my new gear in the bag, I've snagged an issue I'm interested in hearing your opinions on:

Since the zip doesn't go quite to the bottom of the bag, I find that it constantly flips back in my face when I'm trying to take gear in and out of it, and it makes it a pain in the proverbial to carefully position a heavy camera\lens combo into the bag.

Does anyone else have this issue? Will it get better over time as the foam degrades a bit to make it easier to bend the backplate back (mine is brand new)? Cheers.
    I never had such an issue with the flap - perhaps it's because I am 185cm.

When taking gear out I nearly always loosen the shoulder straps and then rotate the bag to the front or side position, that way I have plenty of space for my arms to access the gear. Also I do tend to drop to one knee and rest the bag on the thigh of the other leg. This technique stabalizes the bag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not a problem with stabalization though, I find that with a solid foam back pad that extends past the zipper opening, I'm bending the solid back panel just to open the bag. Obviously the foam is designed to resist mishaping via it's spring (so it protects the contents) but this results in the bag resisting being opened.

I actually thought of the possibility of me having a dud bag, but definately not by the sounds of the responses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12