Thread: Night Vs Depth of Field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Night Vs Depth of Field

Hi all,

Here's a complex one..

This is on the corner of Rundle Street and Pulteney Street Adelaide, just prior to Christmas. My wallet on top of the traffic signal box is my tripod, and I believe it was set to about f8 on a multi-second exposure..

Am not sure whether its focus a problem or just colour spectrum reaction is the 'problem', as it look like its out of focus..

Appreciate your comments and thoughts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My thoughts are camera movement, you state your wallet on top of a signal box was your tripod, I think that during the exposure there was some slight camera movement.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most likely!

I'm guessing that you used timer and such like.

Even using the timer function, you can still get movement from any breeze, or the most likely cause, mirror slap.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, definately camera movement. Probably due to the fact yoyu didn't really use a tripod but just put the camera down on something soft like a wallet - that's not a sturdy base in any book.

Mirror slap is possible, especially with the 1/2.5 second exposure you used on this image. I do not expect it to generate this much unsharpness though.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did the lights on the building change at all? just wondering cause the bottom part appears to be reasonably sharp? if camera movement was the problem wouldn't the bottom where the cars are be oof more also?
    Last edited by Miaow; 12-04-2009 at 8:18pm.
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the lights have something to do with it -

Although my photo is taken hand held, I also found the colours 'blown out' and had a OOF look to them.
    hoffy was also taking shots at the same time - not sure if he has any of the same tree though.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit of both....colour a minor problem, but certainly slight camera movement, most evident in the slight blurr to the buildings.....still, looks good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that camera movement would cause more of the photo to blur...

(in the original photo), take a look at the various edges at the bottom and the fixed street lamps, they're not showing signs of movement and if they are, it's very minor compared to the lights on the building...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of the photos that I have taken of the Rundle Lights, they all look OOF towards the ends, but the middle of the lighs at 100% is sharp. The buildings and signs look nice and sharp. I think that because of the angle of the shot taken it looks OOF and the size doesnt help too much.

Dale
    Canon 5DMarkII | 17-40F4L | 24-70F2.8L | 70-200F2.8L IS | 100F2.8 Macro | 580EXII | Gitzo GT3541LS | Markins M20 | RRS B2 LRII
    ThinkTank StreetWalker Harddrive | Crumpler 7 MDH
    AdobeĀ® Photoshop Lightroom 2.3 | AdobeĀ® Photoshop CS5