Thread: Layer/Selection help ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Layer/Selection help ??

OK so ive got an image where i wanna apply some selective colour. Basically I wanna select a oart of the subject to keep in colour and convert remaining background area to mono..

Whats the best way to do it ?? Im using GIMP but i wouldnt imagine this kind of thing would vary much between PS etc ..

Ive made the selection, the bit to remain in colour, with the lasso tool, how do I now convert the remaining image to mono ??

This part of the game im very new to so all help is appreciated .. cheers
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    invert the selection so everything else is selected, then convert to mono.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lot's of ways to do this one. if you really must do the selective colour thing, my recommendation would be to convert the image to mon and simply paint back the colour using the history brush. this is what i do in cs3, but i've never heard of gimp. you sure you want to do selective colour?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Tom
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How did you go Darren? I posted originally based in the fact you had made the selection already, most likely on a single layer.

If you want to start from scratch, I agree with Tom as well.

Create a duplicate layer
    Turn that top layer to mono
    Then using masks/history brush/ eraser (differing methods given as I don't know what GIMP offers) remove the top layer where you want the colour to show through.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i kinda got distracted by the footy and didnt get to finish what i was doing ..

im not a big fan of the selective colour thing either, i think it has its place in some images but its not something im overly keen on .. im really just trying to learn more about PP .. Im trying to get my head around using layers and masks, Ive really got no idea about this stuff .. I really am a total noob .. i need to find some good basic tutorials to have a read of .. can anyone point me in the direction of something useful ??