Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Borders and frames

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Borders and frames

How do you make custom borders/frames for photos in Elements - 7 specifically. I can use layers and add a border, but this is very limited and I would like to do more. The books I have read are very general in their help on this topic.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the borders tool in FastStone Image Viewer - it has lots of options and is easy to use. FSIV is a free downloadable file viewer that lets you view RAW files full screen, do basic edits, and, most useful to me, do batch conversions, with resizing, framing and adding watermark all in one action.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi John, in Elements 6 and I'm sure it would be the same for7 , you go to Image>resize>Canvas . Select pixels and put a size in both boxes. You size would depend on what you are going to do in the width, writing for example. Then select the colour, white, black or gray.
    You can do a small black border of, say, 5 pixels, save it and then go back and do a 100 pixel white border for a different effect.
    David

RAW post work done with Aperture 4 with image size done in CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, Im not sure about Elements, but I use this program http://www.bordermaker.nl/en/home.html it may help you a bit.

Cheers
    Cheers Peter
    Canon 7D...Canon 40D...Canon 24-70L 2.8...Canon 70-200L 2.8...Canon 17-85...Canon 50mm...Speedlights....Tripods...Filters... Battery grips.... And heaps of other stuff

There are always two people in every picture.. the photographer and the viewer.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, I have just got 'cs for dummies' and it helped a lot. I now have a selection of borders that I have made and they run in 'actions'. Not elements, but close enough.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    just some additional advice. Remember the border takes up pixel-size. So if you are entering a photo into a competition (on AP or elsewhere), you need to look at the final pixel size of your photo after you have added your border.

Borders can compliment a photo, but they can also ruin a good photo. If when the viewer first sees the photo, the first impression is "oh, look at that border/frame", you have failed.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Borders can compliment a photo, but they can also ruin a good photo. If when the viewer first sees the photo, the first impression is "oh, look at that border/frame", you have failed.
    Good point Rick. I have been putting a border on most of my photos but I have never actually thought whether it distracts from the photo.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At our 'camera club', it was noted that if you spent time enhancing a photo, why not present it in a frame, to compliment and complete the pic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off topic

I use an addon called 'Mogrify' (http://timothyarmes.com/lr2mogrify.php) this lets me automatically add my borders and logo, as well as a host of other things.

It's worth looking into.

I get asked a few times a week about it, so feel free to sticky this

FINE ART PRINTS: www.kanegledhill.com.au
    FLICKR: www.flickr.com/photos/kanegledhill
    FB: www.facebook.com/kanegledhillphotography

Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 50D | Canon EF 17-40 f/4 L | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM Lens. Fotoman 617 (medium format film)