Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: NTP: Challenge VI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mates and I went fishing tonight, I took my cameras along and here is the results. Everything here was done using the SX10.

There are some others, check here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3751583...7616980587188/
    Canon EOS 300V (Film)
    Sony A6400
    flickr

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice shots there Remin. But the challenge is about using the rule of thirds, all your photos have the horizon in the centre of the photo (top to bottom). Maybe go have a read of the Learning Centre topics suggested at the start of this thread.

Also, please don't post more than one photo at a time in these challenges. If you want general critique, please put your photos in the member photo's area of the site. The NTP challenges are for each member to present one photo, get advice on improving it, then going out and work on improving based on the challenge topic.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    finally time to come back to this thread! I took heaps of photos and had a re-think before i clicked the shutter button to see if i could change my angle to give a better rule of thirds. Here are a couple.
    Funnily enough just scrolling through my blog since the day of this challenge to my more recent posts and there are heaps jumping out at me that i want to post here but i won't! I'll choose two that at the time i was trying for the thirds rule but looking at them now i wonder if there are too many other elements in the photos that don't fit the rule that are enough to unbalance things.

With this one the horizon is close to being one third up but not exactly... is it enough? or do you find that it really needs to be as close to visually thirds as you can get to have the right effect? When i took it i thought the tree gave a god 'one third' on the right but now that i relook for this challenge the overhead rock is half way across the top so if that enough to counter-act the effect we are aiming for?
    (Hoping the photo shows up... First time trying to not upload direct to AP...)

Here is a photo of me! THe horizon is closer to thirds and the boulder with me on it is the other third... but again has the grass being half at the bottom ruined the rule?

But for a photo that i think really matches the guidelines i'd pick this one (i'll just link it to save posting too many photos)
    Chelle.
    I've had my camera on AUTO for far too long... learning the ropes on my Sony A300.
    C&C welcome - but keep it simple!
    I'm more interested in capturing memories than in taking the best photo ever (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I fixed them for you Chelle! You had the IMG tags in but had also put URL tags around them as well.

Please only post one photo at a time in the NTP area though, as it is not a general critique area, and is designed for each member to present one photo, get feedback on that one, then go out and work on improving.

I will comment on the first. Well used Rule of thirds, by placing the rocks and tree around the outside of your photo. Horizon is well placed, I like how the rocks and trees 'frame' the photo. Having then positioned yourself so the middle distant boulders are through the frame has worked well. Good work, No the 1/3 is only a guide, you don't have to be precise, but as you can see, by using the Rule of Thirds, you create a very visually pleasing photo, it just feels 'right'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops, i may have unfixed them cos i tried editting it again and you must have already done it.
    sorry for posting two images (i sorta knew i was not supposed to! :hide: ) but i had the same question for them both re whether you needed to have as many elements as possible as thirds or if something prominant being half-half ruined it.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I will fix them for you again Chelle.

EDIT - there appears to be an anomoly in the way blogspot names its image links, your original links wont work on AP, but if I copy them into my browser, go to the photo, right click the photo on blogspot, click properties and then copy the link that appears in the pop-up window, that link will work with AP, there is a slight change to the name of the link between the two. Something to watch Chelle, so always use the right click, properties link on the photo on blogspot and then paste that link into AP using the icon to make sure it pasted as an IMG link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i also use the s10is i like the was you composed the lighthouse shot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunset by elyshiamadison, on Flickr

One I took a while ago - a touch dark, but I like the colours

Exposure 0.005 sec (1/200)
    Aperture f/11.0
    Focal Length 55 mm
    ISO Speed 100
    Mode Manual

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys.......here is my attempt. Taken sunday last, 11.25mm, iso 100, 1/320 at f7.1.

Not quite sunrise. I only got lost twice driving the 1.9 k's to the beach so it was a bit late!
    After mortaging the house to buy a polariser ( how do i hide the c/c bill?) I had to go and try it out! I tried to keep the sun to my shoulder. The beach was closed due to rough seas and I tried to move away from all the other tog's!

I can see where I havent got the surfer into the rule of thirds but this image appealed more to me..........

slight crop and played with in LR and PSPx3.........

cheers
    Jan