Thread: Alternative Flash to 430EX for Canon 400D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternative Flash to 430EX for Canon 400D

New to this strobist business and am trying to get some help tracking down a flash that will work on my 400D but not cost a pretty penny.

I will soon have a set of Cactus V2, and I would like a flash to use with them for off-camera shooting, but also the ability for ETTL on camera.

Does such a flash exist that is manually adjustable etc? I have heard people using Nikon flashes such as SB26 etc. Is this a viable option?

cheers

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not if you want to use E-TTL. Your best bet probably would be with Metz. Sigma perhaps (but be advised there are known issues with Sigma flashes on Canon bodies).
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm...maybe I need to remove the need for ETTL and learn how to do this stuff the real way. With that in mind, I guess I should be looking at a Nikon flash? (only saying that as I have just watched the first part of the Strobist DVD and he recommends Nikon flashes even for Canon users).

After a quick look on ebay would something like a sb-24 be a good starting point?

Appreciate any help

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Provided you're absolutely sure you never, ever want to use any automatic flash, the SB-24 would be a good starting point as any I guess. The question is: why?

I think it pays to get the requirements right first. If you ever want to do anything with on-camera flash, I would suggest to stick with brands that work with E-TTL (or even better with E-TTL II). What is the pricepoint you're looking at and why?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    max $200 I guess, but if I can get a known-brand flash cheaper that will do an adequate job for an amateur's first foray into playing with light.....

why? because i just spent a heap on a new Sigma 30 1.4

What needs to be set manually on a flash for each shot? (Assuming I'm using with a prime lens - if that makes any difference re not zooming). I have never owned a flash so sorry if that's a stupid question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it pays to get the requirements right first.
    I strongly agree with this sentiment.
    If you buy anything other than a Canon (or another ETTL II flash) I am prepared to bet you will flounder around trying to learn the ins and outs of flash exposure, and then decide to get the Canon anyway.
    Graham

Canon- EOS 7D with BG-E7 grip, 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, 24-105L f/4; Speedlites 580EX II, 550EX, 430EX.
    Sigma- 18-50 f/2.8, 50-150 f/2.8, 120-300 f/2.8, 50-500 f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS, 30 f/1.4, 150 f/2.8 macro, Sigma APO 1.4x and 2x Teleconverters;
    Kenko Extension tubes; Benro- M-257 tripod & B-1 ballhead; Wimberley- Sidekick.
    Home made "bag" on wheels; heaps and heaps of other minor stuff!