Sometimes, you want to open a JPG in Adobe Camera Raw. (I have Photoshop CS3.)

Camera Raw is perfectly capable of operating on JPG files, and although you obviously don't get the same flexibility of adjustment you get with raw files, you can still do quite a bit with them.

For reasons quite incomprehensible to me, Adobe do weird and secretive stuff with Camera Raw. The normal way to open a JPG is to first open Adobe Bridge (this is a program that comes with Photoshop; it is essentially the slowest, most RAM-hungry file-browser on the planet and not much else), navigate to the folder where the JPG is, then right-click on it and select "open with Camera Raw".

This is tedious and annoying.

Worse, I've just discovered that it doesn't always work! I just went to open a JPG in Camera Raw, went through the usual starting up Bridge nonsense, only to discover that on this particular JPG there is no "open with Camera Raw" option! I double and triple checked, but there is nothing there. I even copied the JPG into TIFF format, with the same result. Yet the exact same procedure on other essentialy identical, straight-from-the-camera JPGs stored in the exact same folder does work! (And people wonder why I despise Adobe products.)

I've searched the web looking for the name of the Camera Raw executable so that I can just create a shortcut to it in the normal way, but without success. Can anyone help?