Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  31
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Challenge V : How to critique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CypherOz View Post
    A lot depends on what software is used and individual's workflow. Eg. BDsizer strips exif.
    I use BDsizer and there is a box I can tick to leave the exif on...almost all my pics have it included And I can still set the pic size to 200 including exif.

p.s. sorry, didn't meant to go OT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Bird Photo

As has been said before every thing is just perfect the pose of the bird in relation to the branch which was stated in a previos post, sharpness and composition all great.
    Even down to the photograhers watermark the size and style doesnt intrude on the image.
    An image that you could look at for hours
    Top marks for the Image and this thread, makes for some pretty good reading.
    GeeDee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is by far the hardest thing to do. I often find that I know immediately whether I like something or not (whether it be a painting, music or a photograph). Working out which components make it pleasing (or not) is something I find really hard.

Here’s my take on the dogs to start with...

I think I would crop the photo in to reduce the amount of bracken (but still leaving it to frame the dogs and footpath). The dog in front needs to be brought into focus. The dog behind seems a little over exposed and his position could benefit from a slightly different angle so that he can be seen clearly. I do like the DOF with the bracken blurring in the foreground and also into the back ground.

For the bird…
    If only I could take something half as good as this! What a great pose. I love the DOF (there is nothing to distract you away from the bird). The clarity is wonderful with individual small feathers being visible. I also really like the contrast of the blue eye against the muted colours of the feathers and back ground
    Thanks for looking

If you'd like to see more I'm on Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/34313408@N05/

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good work everyone. Now go across to the members photos and find a few to do the same thing to. It does get easier with practice.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rick, I deliberately haven't read any of the other responses yet. I will dive straight in so as not to be influenced by other opinions then go and read the rest of the thread afterward.
    The first thing that strikes me is the soft focus on the first dogs face, it needs to be much sharper, also both dogs look over exposed. Perhaps a slower shutter speed may have helped both these aspects. I find the second dogs face being partially covered by the lead dog very distracting too, I think moving to the left a little could have improved the composition a lot by revealing the second head more. I like the way the dark OOF foliage frames the shot, I think it draws the eyes toward the subject well. I think the DOF looks pretty right with the trail behind the dogs OOF and drawing me gently down the trail.
    Hmm, that's a lot of critique. I hope I don't sound too cocky with so many comments.
    Cheers,
    Rob.

My gear....... Sony a700, Minolta 7xi, Minolta 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 kit lens, Minolta 70-210 4.4-5.6 kit lens, Minolta 100-300mm 4.5-5.6 xi, Tokina AT-X 80-400mm 4.5-5.6, Sakar 2X tc

Coming soon...... Tamron SP AF90 mm F/2.8 Di Macro

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papillon View Post
    Hi Rick, I deliberately haven't read any of the other responses yet. I will dive straight in so as not to be influenced by other opinions then go and read the rest of the thread afterward.
    The first thing that strikes me is the soft focus on the first dogs face, it needs to be much sharper, also both dogs look over exposed. Perhaps a slower shutter speed may have helped both these aspects. I find the second dogs face being partially covered by the lead dog very distracting too, I think moving to the left a little could have improved the composition a lot by revealing the second head more. I like the way the dark OOF foliage frames the shot, I think it draws the eyes toward the subject well. I think the DOF looks pretty right with the trail behind the dogs OOF and drawing me gently down the trail.
    Hmm, that's a lot of critique. I hope I don't sound too cocky with so many comments.
    Not cocky at all Rob, we want members to be honest and up front in their critiques. As you look down the thread you will find more images, have a go at those too, cause they are harder, not having as many glaring issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, since this an NTP challenge, i will have a go at this this will be my first CC

on Rick's photo (two dogs in the forest): first thing i noticed is that the first dog's face have some motion blur and somehow, that part of the photo attracts my eye (maybe because it is very near the centre of the photo or just above the lower "rule of thirds" line). maybe a faster shutter and an increased ISO to compensate the faster shutter would have helped. this may put more noise in the photo but due to the nature of the photo having "course" overall background, noise might not even get noticed.

also, the tail of the first dog just obstructs the face of the second dog a little bit. in my opinion, it would have been better if the shot was taken just a little bit to the left. but then that fern on the left would obstruct the camera..

also, focus is a little bit off.. more of the ground is focused. if the focus was just higher, the DoF would have been great since it seems that the ground in front of the firts dog's face up to the ground on the second dog's body is clear and focused.. this may be what the photographer was aiming for but due to the spur of the moment and quickness of the dogs running, it was bit hard (i'm assuming that this was not a planned shot and the photographer just quickly took out the camera, composed the shot and *click*)..

i like the dark area on both sides of the photo.. it helps the eye on concentrating the view on the two dogs. but would have preferred if it extended a little bit more just to the middle upper right..

also, the two dogs are dead center in the photo.. in my opinion, it would have been better if the dogs where a bit "farther away" and the shot taken a bit lower..

just my 2 cents

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good work draco. That is how you do it. now to go across to the member photos and start applying some of the same critiquing technique there.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And here is another new one. Have a go at critiquing this one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I certainly need practice at CC so here are my thoughts....

Nice picture Rick

Composition: overall, good use of rule of thirds – horizon is the upper third of the frame, and nice and level. There is foreground interest – the tuft of grass is prominent, sharp and nicely lit; however it is in the middle of the frame – maybe better if off to one side. The zigzag formed by the grass tufts gives a good sense of depth. Perhaps the water could have been made more prominent in the composition IMO.

DOF is narrow. I would have liked to see a smaller aperture resulting in the background being in focus.

Exposure seems good. Maybe a little dark, but the foreground is well lit and there is nice detail in the clouds.
    cheers,
    Colin
    Colin
    Here to learn; please critique and/or rework my images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rick,

The photo gives me a feeling that I am about to be rained on lol.

Although being an overcast day I certainly like the vibrancy of the colours in this photo. Everything is evenly exposed and the subject is nice and sharp.

The apeture could be changed so the rest of the landscape is in focus, however I think the photo could instead be improved by cropping out the majority of the sky (perhaps to some point along the tree line). The dark area at the very bottom of the photo may be lighted, but as it creeps up the sides of the photo, to me it contributes towards framing the subject.
    Olympus bodies: E330 & the E3. Lenses: Zuiko 12-60mm, 50-200mm. Sigma 105mm. Extras: EX25, FL36R, FL50R and a few odds and ends

"A stranger is just a friend you don't know yet!" ~ Billy Connelly

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good replies guys. This photo was taken with the intent of trying to create a feeling similar to "Great Expectations" the movie from about half a century ago. I wanted to create feeling of English moors, and a painting of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Good replies guys. This photo was taken with the intent of trying to create a feeling similar to "Great Expectations" the movie from about half a century ago. I wanted to create feeling of English moors, and a painting of them.
    If I ever see the movie I'll remember to watch closely

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, here goes.

first thing i notice in the photo of the bird it is sharp as a tac, eye, beak , feathers and branch. The other thing that catches me is the expression caught on it's face. I've done what i needed here now i'm off over there to do what ever it is i need to do. And as NikonNellie mentioned i love the simple bokeh. Really awsome photo. Well done and no wonder it got POTW.

The landscape shot, feeling of rain, a break in the season and a vast emptyness. Like the closest grass is in focus and peetering off from there. I like it.

Will
    Will

Cannon 450d, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, Enthusiasm to learn.

Please CC my work so i can learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here goes.... I think this picture is fascinating. I get a huge sense of caution from this landscape, primarily because of the narrow DOF. What I mean is that the fact that the shrub in the foreground is sharp, with the focus falling away while venturing ahead... beyond the shrub, the rest of the picture becomes less important, as if the shrub is my destination.

I get the sense that I wouldn't trek any further, partly because of the lack of a cleared path, but the drama in the sky is also creating a suspicious allure. While I probably would have chosen a smaller apperture to sharpen more of the picture, I'm really intrigued by the end product.
    Living the dream...

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'll give it a go.

The photo follows the rule of 3rds, subject (the grass) is in focus. I'd prefer the rest of the photo to be in focus though, being a landscape photo. There is detail in the clouds, but nothing really inspiring.

Looking at the photo gives me a sense of isolation, which I like

Slightly underexposed, but the shadows at the bottom of the photo works for me, I quite like it. Gives it a hint of mystery of what's underfoot.

I'd use the river / stream as my background, keeping it all in focus. If it was a still day, I'd use a slower shutter speed to show fluid movement in the water, if at all possible.
    AKA Andrew P.
    Gear: Nikon D7100, Nikon D90, Nikon 18-105mm VR, Nikon 70-300mm VR, Sigma 150-500mm APO DG OS, , Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Tamron 90mm Macro Di, SB400 speedlight, SB700 speedlight, Nikon DR-6, Panasonic FH20, and all sorts of stuff

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good work guys, now go and apply that to some photos in the critique area of AP, you will learn a lot from 'critically' analysing a photo, which will help your photography as well

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bird photo

Can I try? My knowledge is minimal & am learning but here goes...

The capture of the bird has an almost painting feel about it for me because of the perfectly blurred background & the sharpness & detail of the birds eye in particular but also the feathers & the beak. The colours in the eye & beak & the yellow feathers really make this photo pop. The tail & the branch & the flight feathers lead my eye to the birds exquisite eye & there are no distracting features at all. I could look at this for a very long time!
    Dee

Nikon D700 , 28-200mm zoom lens, 60mm micro nikkor.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdenJane View Post
    Can I try? My knowledge is minimal & am learning but here goes...

The capture has an almost painting feel about it for me because of the perfectly blurred background & the sharpness & detail of the birds eye in particular but also the feathers & the beak. The colours in the eye & beak & the yellow feathers really make this photo pop. The tail & the branch & the flight feathers lead my eye to the birds exquisite eye & there are no distracting features at all. I could look at this for a very long time!
    That was good, now to put the same thought processes into members photos when you view them. Not only will you help the photographer, but you too will learn a lot about photography by analysing a photo so intently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just found this thread and would like to try with the grass.
    When I look at it I stop at the clump in the very front and then actually have trouble getting my eyes to look at the rest of the scene. It appears to me as if there is no lead into the pic. To my way of thinking it should have been taken with a much higher fstop. Strange I find it quite hard to look at.
    Cheers
    Wilky "We have taken a vow of poverty, send money to annoy us".

I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
    But I am not sure you realise that what you heard , is not what I meant

Canon Eos 450D Linux user

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast