User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  31
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Challenge V : How to critique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dog's nose at the back is too close to other dogs %$#@...
    Thanks for looking....Cheers,
    Julie-Anne / Julie / Jules / Julesy / JAS

MY ..... MY BLOG..... Feel free to look.
    Canon 40D / 24-105mm L IS / 70-200mm L IS / 75-300mm / 50mm 1.8 / Sigma 10-20mm / Manfrotto tripod / Bits and pieces to fill the bag.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 41jas View Post
    The dog's nose at the back is too close to other dogs %$#@...
    Hmmmm. There is always one!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an interesting topic Rick and I must say firstly I am prob a person that wouldn't comment on the photo for the reason I dont like the photo.

Only reason I would not comment is I don't like to write anything that would offend, but as you asked I will write what I would if I were to say something.

My way of thinking is too comment on what I like and comment in that way as I don't beleive I am experienced enough to comment of the more experienced. I guess this will change as I learn and develop my skills, but feel I am not totally ready to give to much cc.

Here is what I would say - Rick I think the photo has merit, but feel the front dog would of looked better in focus and maybe suggest try adjusting the exposure a little as it looks as if it needed to be a bit brighter.

Would of loved seeing this angle a bit lower down to the dogs point of view as I think it would of looked a better overall shot, but you made not of got the second dog in view. Oh and as others have already said that damm tail got in the way. Looks like it was a nice place to take photos and maybe suggest when you get back there some different angles of similar shots if you get the chance.
    Newbie to the world of Digital Gear: Nikon D60 - 18-55mm - 55 - 200mm - SB400 - New Sigma 10-20mm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/vk5mmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Hmmmm. There is always one!
    Sorry Rick i couldn't help it.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    What an interesting topic Rick and I must say firstly I am prob a person that wouldn't comment on the photo for the reason I dont like the photo.

Only reason I would not comment is I don't like to write anything that would offend, but as you asked I will write what I would if I were to say something.

My way of thinking is too comment on what I like and comment in that way as I don't beleive I am experienced enough to comment of the more experienced. I guess this will change as I learn and develop my skills, but feel I am not totally ready to give to much cc.

Here is what I would say - Rick I think the photo has merit, but feel the front dog would of looked better in focus and maybe suggest try adjusting the exposure a little as it looks as if it needed to be a bit brighter.

Would of loved seeing this angle a bit lower down to the dogs point of view as I think it would of looked a better overall shot, but you made not of got the second dog in view. Oh and as others have already said that damm tail got in the way. Looks like it was a nice place to take photos and maybe suggest when you get back there some different angles of similar shots if you get the chance.
    You won't offend people if you comment as you did here. Talk about the photo, what you feels works, what doesn't and why you feel that way.

If you feel unsure, add the words "In my opinion", even if others disagree, they have to respect that you are entitled to an opinion. You may feel unready to give CC which the whole point of this challenge, to prepare you and give you some guidelines to help you feel more comfortable.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, lets consider how to critique an almost perfect photo? POTW 140 as an example!

Easy! Just pick the things that are right. Much better than saying (only) 'fantastic shot'!

What's right in this photo... Why did so many vote for it?

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=26801

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could spend 20 min writing about this one!

Unfortunately I have pasta on the stove so I will reply later.

"Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What i see spot on here is first and foremost clarity of subject, excellent exposure showing the finest detail in feather texture, bird captured in an expressive moment all against a lovely bokeh background.
    Julie

Canon 6D,Fuji X100
    l Canon 50mm f1.8 MK l l Canon 85mm f1.8 l Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro l Canon 24-70IS f4L l LR4/CS6

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I will give Richard's photo a go as well.

Great pose! I like how you have the line of the branch and the bird's tail running parallel, makes for a great composition here Richard. The end of the branch leaning to the left and the birds head turned to the right, really balances the photo. Very sharp and good DOF. The clean background means we focus on the bird and are not distracted by the background at all. The colours are very natural, just what we would expect to see if this bird appeared in front of us. The small catchlight in the eye really gives shape and the feeling of life to the bird. If anything, I think I would have liked as slightly bigger depth of field, so the entire branch was in focus, which would have also made the end of the tail a bit sharper as well, but very well taken and processed photo.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my CC for Richard's photo.

The first thing I notice is how the bird just pops out at you - this has been achieved by a number of different factors:
    * The DOF is spot on, enhanced by the simple bokeh background.
    * The clarity and detail in the bird's eye, beak and feathers.
    * The interesting pose of the bird. Having the bird off centre and looking as if it has either spotted something or is looking at the direction it will fly to next.
    Well done. Keep up the good work.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My attempt at Richard's shot :

Sharpness, sharpness and sharpness ! Great composition, parallel lines between the bird and the branch it's clinging too. Great DOF.
    Great work.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This image is a very good learning tool and gives us all something to aspire to.

Lighting is very even - perhaps a little too even - but shows excellent detail throughout. The natural sharpness together with the pose gives life to the subject. A little more DOF would have brought the stick out a tiny bit, but the presented DOF gives the subject all the detail it needs to have.

Bokeh is a soft, silvery swirling mist, almost ethereal.

The composition in this capture is superb, it meets many or the elements of good composition: Golden Triangle and Golden Spiral (in particular) and this has only been improved by the crop which has allowed for just the right amount of negative space about the image.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for those pointers enduro, very interesting.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enduro View Post
    This image is a very good learning tool and gives us all something to aspire to. <snip>
    Thanks for that! Excellent!

So far we have an image that had obvious issues and one that is a top class photo, in each case you can give a good CC.

It is a challenge, but to notice what is right in an image is just as important (or more so) than the negatives. When you recognise what's right you can use that knowledge when capturing your own images.

For those that have not done so already - have a go at writing a short CC of one or both of the images.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I noticed about this picture is that both dogs' eyes appear completely black and empty - I'm not sure if there is a way to get a "glint" out of their eyes (as I'm new to photography, wouldn't know if there's a technique for this). I learned in an art class that adding light to the eyes makes them come to life, I think that would help in this photo too. Not sure if anyone else has brought this up as I haven't read through all the replies.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma82 View Post
    One thing I noticed about this picture is that both dogs' eyes appear completely black and empty - I'm not sure if there is a way to get a "glint" out of their eyes (as I'm new to photography, wouldn't know if there's a technique for this). I learned in an art class that adding light to the eyes makes them come to life, I think that would help in this photo too. Not sure if anyone else has brought this up as I haven't read through all the replies.
    Very good point, and yes there are ways to give them 'catchlights', the most common is to use a flash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will have a shot at this before reading the other posts. Critique is a very week point of mine .
    The front dog is out of focus which is the main subject. your eye is drawn to the lead dog because of the brightness then up to the top of the frame and out due to the straight on view of the path. May have been better if the path run at an angle within the frame. This may be a bit hard to achieve due to the amount of scrub around the pathway. Also a crop with the dogs in the top third of the frame and more vacant path in front of them.
    Still a good shot considering the dogs a running toward you. i dont think my reflexes are that good.
    Regards GeeDee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is fascinating reading as I am very outspoken on critiques that just say 'very nice' etc.
    It is a great learning curve and if you haven't given a reply because you are afraid that what you say will be wrong, then stop worrying and do it!

As for the bird pic, it is so perfect I could say that the bird is stuffed (literally) and fixed to the branch But I wouldn't say that.
    The lighting is perfect, it is sharp and the main thing to me is that when you first see it you are fixed on it, in a stare, for example.
    Someone mentioned exif data missing and that is another of my sore points, so please put it in so people can learn and comment on the technical aspect.
    David

RAW post work done with Aperture 4 with image size done in CS5

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davwhite View Post
    Someone mentioned exif data missing and that is another of my sore points, so please put it in so people can learn and comment on the technical aspect.
    A lot depends on what software is used and individual's workflow. Eg. BDsizer strips exif.
    So while nice to have I can live without out.
    Also if upload here there is a 200Kb limit - so leaving exif off can help filesize.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`d like to see the dogs right back on the path with the path leading back to them.
    Use a higher iso so you could have a bigger dof and faster shutter to get the dogs in focus as well as the plants and more of the path.
    Or get down lower to the ground with a wider angle lens to get the dogs coming straight at you.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast