Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memory Card Readers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Memory Card Readers

I'm not personally keen on hooking up the DSLR directly to the PC and up until the recent purchase of my 50D, it wasn't an issue due to the built in SD card reader in my notebook.

Just wanted to know what do you use if you use one at all? Do the cheap Chinese ones you've picked up from Ebay do the same job as an expensive Sandisk/Lexar job?

Thanks in advance.

Nath.
    NATH
    * Canon 50D * 28mm 1.8 * 10-22mm 3.5-4.5 * 17-50mm 2.8 * 70-200mm 4Lis * 580EX II *
    * Canon S5is * Manfrotto 479-4B & 718B * Crumpler 5 & 7 million dollar home *

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes: They read and write fine on the cards the cards
    No: Most of them dont read at 45+/mb Sec speeds

So they are ok if you dont mind slow transfer speeds

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lines View Post
    expensive Sandisk/Lexar job?
    Nath, reexamine your fears and needs.

I don't consider $50.00 for a Sandisk reader very expensive compared to the cost of a 50D if you are concerned about frying the camera when hooked to the PC.

Buying a camera and lenses can be quite expensive --- but there are so many other "goodies" out there to keep us in poverty as well.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a portable reader at the moment, but I have one of THESE on order for my PC.

An honest C+C please!

"I started life with nothing and I still have most of it left"

Nikon D300
    Photoshop CS4 Extended

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ive got a built in one in my main PC and a sandisk firewire one that I use attached to my laptop in need (i generally don't edit photos on the laptop).
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a Swann, was about $70 (300000 in one card reader) and it is a very good little thing i also have one of these usb stick cardreaders that came with the card that i bought also very good it is a sandisk micromate.....in the laptop i use the inbuild reader and again nothing wrong with it........

i think the cheapie's might not be that fast but don't think there's anything wrong with it.

just my 2 cents....just remember what you pay is what you get

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The card reader on my PC is pretty slow, so lately I've ben plugging the camera directly into the PC and it whizzes them quickly onto my PC.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Nath, reexamine your fears and needs.

I don't consider $50.00 for a Sandisk reader very expensive compared to the cost of a 50D if you are concerned about frying the camera when hooked to the PC.

Buying a camera and lenses can be quite expensive --- but there are so many other "goodies" out there to keep us in poverty as well.

I understand in the whole scheme of things, the cost of a card reader is just a drop in the ocean. Much to my partners dismay, I didn't even bat an eyelid when I bought the 70-200. It's not so much about frying the the camera it's just that I find it more convenient to pull out the memory card than to find somewhere secure to set the camera down when out and about.

I was just interested as to what others were using and whether there was much difference apart transfer speed between a no name multi-card USB ($5) job and say a wizbang Sandisk/Lexar firewire unit ($100+). For example, I'll be devastated if I skimped and got a kamikaze cheapie that upon use would fry my memory card whilst simultaneously taking out my notebook and remotely destroying my camera that I'd stored safely in it's bag. Unlikely but possible.

I think I'll aim for a middle of the road Lexar Pro UDMA Dual slot reader unless anyone else has a better recommendation.

Nath.
    Last edited by Lines; 13-03-2009 at 10:42am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plug my camera into the PC it is faster
    Canon 1000D twin lens kit. Lenses( EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 ll, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lll Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro1:1 with hood, Hoya 55mm UV Filter. Picasa 3
    Debbie: (Photo's help us Remember those we have lost.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a little cheapie and it was so slow, i just got this little one to try and it's brilliant.

Fast as well as very portable.
    Julie

Canon 6D,Fuji X100
    l Canon 50mm f1.8 MK l l Canon 85mm f1.8 l Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro l Canon 24-70IS f4L l LR4/CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put my card into the printer card readers (it has 4 sizes) Ive never had a problem, maybe a tad slower but it works for me .
    Cheers Peter
    Canon 7D...Canon 40D...Canon 24-70L 2.8...Canon 70-200L 2.8...Canon 17-85...Canon 50mm...Speedlights....Tripods...Filters... Battery grips.... And heaps of other stuff

There are always two people in every picture.. the photographer and the viewer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanny View Post
    I plug my camera into the PC it is faster
    not that ideal for long term usage particularly for professional work and environment

I use card readers ever since I had my first DSLR 5 yrs ago, because I dont need to have the camera out and on and wasting battery etc. Not to mention I shoot in CF and SD cards I dont need to have 2 or 3 cameras out - where a multi card reader will suffice.

Not to mention when I am working on the job, a card reader allows me to have 1 card uploading into the laptop or comp while I can still keep shooting simultaneously - plugging your camera in to upload and make your client or subject wait, especially for wedding and studio shoots - is embarrassing.

Other factors I found to be useful is when I travel and am able to upload my photos via card reader onto comps at internet cafes or at hostels for facebook and emailing. Also when I would like a friend's photo but they use a Sony camera and memory stick - the multi card reader will be able to take it, and vice versa, without having to plug our cameras in.

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Sandisk 12 in 1 card reader which I have had for around 4 years now it goes everywhere with me and is very handy being a 12 in 1 as I can transfer memory cards from different formats. Think it retails for around $46 and in the scheme of things it ain't that much more than an ebay 'special' that may or may not die down the track.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using one from Dick Smiths, I've had it for about 3 yrs now without any probs, It's got 4 slots and costs about $40
    http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...ct/View/XH6315
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbax View Post
    I've been using one from Dick Smiths, I've had it for about 3 yrs now without any probs, It's got 4 slots and costs about $40
    That's the same as mine, heaps faster than transferring from the camera.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stumbled upon a Transcend M3 $15 delivered. Looked up some reviews and it all seems to be good so placed the order. Thanks for the opinions guys and gals.

Nath.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Sandisk reader and a built in one on my work PC. The Sandisk is faster.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually plug my camera into the PC but I also have an inbuilt reader and a cheap $20 portable reader I bought from ALDI which works fine. I've never even thought about the possibility of frying my camera from plugging it directly into my computer. Maybe I should use my card reader more?
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbax View Post
    Comes up with nothing..........Just the front page

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DSE... Search for product XH6315
    http://search.dse.com.au/search?w=XH6315

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast