Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Challenge IV - Panning

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah!! I love it! This is a fun challenge, it took me a few goes to get it right, but in the end I had photos of them in mid air and everything! was awesome
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bikes on the Hornibrook Hwy

Sunday mornings is a great time to see those fit bike riders. This was my first day at trying to pan..

Bodies: Nikon D4, D300, D80
    Lenses: Nikon AF-S 18-135 kit lens, Nikkor AF-S70-300 1:4.4-5.6 G VR, Nikkor AF Micro 60mm 2.8 D, Nikkor AF 50mm, 1.8 D, Nikkor AF-S 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED, Nikkor AF-S 24-120 f/4G ED VR, Nikkor AF-s 500mm f4G ED VR
    Accessories: SB600 Flash, Flashpro 500SP Studio Lights, Sekonic L758D light meter, Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod, Velbon RUP-43 Monopod, Wemberley Head
    Monitor: Eizo S2231W with Huey monitor calibrator
    Lowepro Slingshot 100AW, Tamrac T31 case, Computrekker AW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok went down the local airport and thought I would give this ago.

Damm missed it by that much, hopefully with a bit more trial and error I can nail it.

I was fairly happy with this one for a first attempt.

Newbie to the world of Digital Gear: Nikon D60 - 18-55mm - 55 - 200mm - SB400 - New Sigma 10-20mm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/vk5mmm

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good work guys, keep practising, it does take some skill to do well, but is an effective photography technique that can produce some brilliant results when done well.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably took 50 pics of passing cars, reckon this one turned out the best:

About 5 mins after taking this, some bloke stopped, got out his car and asked why I was taking photos of him!
    I guess people are entitled to their privacy...
    Colin
    Here to learn; please critique and/or rework my images

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good work Hamish, has the challenge taught you much about how shutter speeds can be creatively chosen to alter the way your scene looks?

Re Privacy, In Australia, if you are in public, you must expect to be photographed (I wonder if this same guy would stop and ask a speed camera operator why he was photographing him?), the laws do not allow for Privacy when in a public place. Remember that many shopping centres, and even open spaces are not necessarily public space. You can also photograph people on private property, if you, the photographer is standing on public land (think how the paparazzi work legally).

However, if you feel that rather than get into a pseudo legal argument, it is easier to delete the photo if requested, do so. Some people may be under witness protection etc, and may not want their photos taken for very valid reasons.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish McHaggis View Post
    I probably took 50 pics of passing cars, reckon this one turned out the best:

About 5 mins after taking this, some bloke stopped, got out his car and asked why I was taking photos of him!
    I guess people are entitled to their privacy...
    I never cease to be amuzed by the weird looks I get as I shoot panning shots on the side of the road, which I do quite a lot as I shoot editorial features for car magazines. I often practice on passing cars and often get images where the driver is staring at me ratrher than looking at where they are going. Yes, some stop and question your motives, assuming the worst of course.

Rick, excellent explaination. I'd add a few things. Try to use a monopod, it helps. Don't use IS, it really reduces your keeper rate. Try to shoot with the car close to a busy background such as lots of trees and shrubs. The proximity of the background exagerates the background blur significantly. It helps to have a reasonable distance between you and the car, I try to use a 70-200mm lens to give some idea of the distance.

The technique really does require smoothness and practice.

JJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    (I wonder if this same guy would stop and ask a speed camera operator why he was photographing him?)
    reckon I got photographed by one of them at the weekend...just waiting for the letter in the mail

Yes, good explanation Rick - thanks. I do often feel a bit "odd" with the tripod and camera out in public. It helps if you're in a group.

Quote Originally Posted by jjphoto View Post
    I never cease to be amuzed by the weird looks I get as I shoot panning shots on the side of the road, which I do quite a lot as I shoot editorial features for car magazines. I often practice on passing cars and often get images where the driver is staring at me ratrher than looking at where they are going. Yes, some stop and question your motives, assuming the worst of course.

Rick, excellent explaination. I'd add a few things. Try to use a monopod, it helps. Don't use IS, it really reduces your keeper rate. Try to shoot with the car close to a busy background such as lots of trees and shrubs. The proximity of the background exagerates the background blur significantly. It helps to have a reasonable distance between you and the car, I try to use a 70-200mm lens to give some idea of the distance.

The technique really does require smoothness and practice.

JJ
    Thanks for the tips John, very much appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all.

My effort at panning - standing on the corner shooting cars & bikes as they go around the corner. This was the pick of them.

Thanks for any comments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phill B

Canon
    <> 7D <> 10-22mm <> 18-55mm<> 70-200mm <>1.4x II <> 430EX <> Manfrotto Tripod & Monopod

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good work Phil. Great to see you out trying out the technique. Gives you a lot of respect for the Sport togs who produce those amazingly sharp and clear shots of a V8 doing close to 200kmh, with the blurred backgrounds eh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Good work Phil. Great to see you out trying out the technique. Gives you a lot of respect for the Sport togs who produce those amazingly sharp and clear shots of a V8 doing close to 200kmh, with the blurred backgrounds eh.
    I thinks it is a simple case of practice, practice with more practice for good measure, oh, and a health does of talent - I can work on one aspect of it then....

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some these look great. i especially like the tractor. just to add to the original post when panning your shutter speed will depend how fast the subject is moving

here is a quick rundown of what works for me.

snail moving 30"
    someone walking 1/30th
    car driving 1/60-1/125
    race car 1/125-1/200
    plane 1/200-1/320

not every one will agree but i have gotten the best results using these figures.

NB: i am yet to be unsuccessful in capturing a good shot of a snail using panning as a technique. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not as part of the challenge but was certainly a challenge.
    Cheers
    Wilky "We have taken a vow of poverty, send money to annoy us".

I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
    But I am not sure you realise that what you heard , is not what I meant

Canon Eos 450D Linux user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it ok to comment here ? hope so, if not I'm sure someone will jump in.
    Panning with aircraft in mind and say a 300mm is starting at about 1/160 and then working down. 1/100 is a reasonable speed that will both give the panning you need and to have a reasonable propeller blur and giving that feeling they are not frozen. 1/80 if you have had plenty of practice and 1/60 and less if you are "feeling lucky". Be prepared to have a very low success rate and don't be too upset with yourself if it's only 1 to 2 % at these low shutter speeds, faster aircraft speeds, longer lens. Also plant your feet so you will end up facing the point where you are going to get the shot will also help. , hope this helps
    regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm quite interested in this area of photography. Here are some recent shots. My shutter speeds are a bit faster than others in this thread (around 1/250 for prop aircraft and helis), but as I improve with panning, I'd like to slow this to create more background blur.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a couple of mine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some great photos in this thread.. id just like to say a few hints and tips that have worked for me.. please correct me if you feel i am wrong..

i find that the further away you are (using a longer lens) the easier panning is to do..
    this is because the further away the car is the slower YOU will be moving the camera...

also i don't think it was stated earlier.. to keep a whole car or most of a car in focus you need to capture it side on (except for Dave's example above in which the car is actually going sideways)

if you would like to learn more this blog post has a lot of good information in it:
    http://blog.photoshelter.com/2010/01...torsports.html
    Canon 450D, 7D, 17-40mm f/4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.8, 430EXII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a couple of mine...

some notes...

a long lens will give you better back ground blur, but a wide lens up close will give you some amazing things too, bearing in mind that the blur in the b ack ground comes from 2 aspects, the first is the amount of time the camera moves with the shutter open from left to right (or right to left) but the second aspect is the relative movement of the back ground from near to far

an example is a 10mm lens, at full width, the feild of view is quite wide, but at the fringes the lens has a widening effect or light bending... so as you move it left to right, thre is a double effect on the motion blur...

ill get some pics and post them up later

here are some normal pans done with a 16-35, at 1/80th of a sec on manual focus

enjoy

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a go at panning my daughters on the swings and it certainly is harder than it looks. This one was taken with the shutter speed at 1/20s and aperture f/10

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good work Tanz, it is an effective technique, but it does require practice, but the results can be quite special as your photos shows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast