Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Challenge IV - Panning

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Challenge IV - Panning

In your shutter speed challenge, you discovered that shutter speeds could affect how blurry a moving image was within your scene. You ended up with nice sharp background, but a blurry car, as you used slower shutter speeds.

Now slow shutter speeds can be very effective when photographing moving water (waterfalls etc), but on a car, the vehicle ends up blurry with your background sharp.

This challenge is about reversing that, using a slower shutter speed to capture the car reasonably sharply and the background blurry. To do this we use a technique called 'panning'. Panning involves following your subject with the camera and taking the shot without stopping the movement of following the vehicle.

A good analogy would be the golf swing, you swing your club, hit the ball and the club continues in the same arc, even though the ball has already been hit.

So for this challenge, you will need to get out on your street again. If your camera has a continuous or 'servo' focus setting, use that. Your lens and camera should then track your moving object to try and maintain focus on it.

Start, by not taking any photos, but look through the viewfinder and just follow the vehicle as it passes by, try and keep a part of the vehicle in the same part of the frame as you 'pan' with the vehicle as it passes.

Practice this a few times without taking an actual shot.

Now set your camera to shutter mode and chose a shutter speed of about 1/30 - 1/60th second. Now as you pan with your vehicle try and keep a constant flowing motion as you follow the vehicle and press the shutter button, but keep the panning flow going. Do not stop or jerk as you take your shot, it should be one continuous fluid pan, following the vehicle, with a nice soft shutter press during it.

Try it with even slower shutter speeds, down to 1/15th second.

If you dont have access to decent regular traffic, try it on the kids riding bikes around, or a pet (dog) running around the yard etc. All you need is a moving object that moves across in front of you.

Panning can take a lot of practice to do well, but come back to this thread, post a couple of your shots and talk about them, what does the background look like, how does it differ from your shots in challenge II.

Panning is a good skill to learn as it is often used in sports photography, and to capture shots of birds in flight, as examples.

most of all, have fun!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really have to experiment with panning - will play around with this when have time. This is one thing i've never managed to try or get right lol
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I might add something to Ricks info about panning. The more detail you have in your background, the more noticeable the blur effect will be.

For eg .. Try and picture panning a moving car that is passing through a tunnel against the backdrop of a plain coloured wall. The blur effect will be minimal because there is no detail in the wall. But if that wall was covered in grafitti or colourful posters or anything with lots of detail, the blur effect will be much more noticeable and obvious.

Ill definitely be taking on this challenge as it something ive been meaning to practice for a while now ..
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can see this will require practice , i took advantage of having the paddock seeded.

This one is SS 1/60

This one is SS 1/30

This one is SS 1/20

This one is SS 1/15

I can see a difference in backgound blurr with each pic.
    Julie

Canon 6D,Fuji X100
    l Canon 50mm f1.8 MK l l Canon 85mm f1.8 l Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro l Canon 24-70IS f4L l LR4/CS6

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your 1/30 second shot came up well Julie. Well done. It does take practice, but its a good skill to have. As you can see from your results, it creates a dramatic and interesting photo. Well done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good work Julie .. not bad results at all. Love the last one .. looks like a supercharged tractor

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done. This is harder than normal traffic at 60k/ph as tractors are slower. So extra well done!
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1st image was taken at 1/125 sec

2nd and 3rd were taken at 1/160 sec
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Canon 7D with various lenses...

Zoom In With Eden Photography http://zoominwitheden.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats the idea mate .. but i think if youre new to it youre better of panning something thats travelling a little slower. It will give you more time to focus track the subject in the viewfinder and get your flow on Shutter speeds of 1/30th, 1/60th are probably an easier thing to be starting off with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips, all shots were not as sharp as I would like to see....

I was really happy as my goal was to create a panning effect and it worked!

Off the topic:
    How's the new bag Big Dazzler?

I have the Mini Trekker AW and I love it can fit so much stuff in

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well ....of course it's raining again.Will have to get back to you on this one when the weather clears up.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NikonNellie View Post
    Well ....of course it's raining again.Will have to get back to you on this one when the weather clears up.
    I know , annoying isnt it Nellie .. I had some plans for this arvo shooting too .. dammit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edenconnell View Post

Off the topic:
    How's the new bag Big Dazzler?

I have the Mini Trekker AW and I love it can fit so much stuff in

Yea looks good mate .. Ive had the Nova AW200 shoulder bag for a while but it just gets to heavy to carry around all day with hepas of lenses and other crap in it, gets a bit taxing on the shoulder. So I wanted to get a pack. Got a deal too, well if you can call $100 for a bag a deal .. but i think they retail for about $160 or something ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not done any panning before - will have to give it a go!
    But first, a question...
    If your lens has IS, should it be on or off?
    flickr

C+C welcome and appreciated

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    I've not done any panning before - will have to give it a go!
    But first, a question...
    If your lens has IS, should it be on or off?
    Depends on your Lens. Nikons have 3 VR settings, Off, 1, 2. One of those is full VR, the other is designed to remove vertical movement when panning. So check your lens manual for your particular combination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    Yea looks good mate .. Ive had the Nova AW200 shoulder bag for a while but it just gets to heavy to carry around all day with hepas of lenses and other crap in it, gets a bit taxing on the shoulder. So I wanted to get a pack. Got a deal too, well if you can call $100 for a bag a deal .. but i think they retail for about $160 or something ..
    Yeah thats a great price mine was $175 I love it....

Should do a review on this site......

Time will tell......

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the Airport - Tapley's Hill Road - Just tried a couple in between aircraft take-offs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I know what you were doing Kym, Gonna have to try this and hopefully post soon
    Newbie to the world of Digital Gear: Nikon D60 - 18-55mm - 55 - 200mm - SB400 - New Sigma 10-20mm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/vk5mmm

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so the only thing that I had to practice panning on is the kids on their scooters..lol
    here's my effort ..
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you happy with how it turned out Kirsty? Fun challenge eh?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast