User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Exposing for Off Camera flash ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exposing for Off Camera flash ??

ok so i got all my bits finally (see here) and the triggers are working. They seem to be firing the off camera flash pretty consistently with both the test button and the shutter. So no problems with the mechanics. Problem is exposure.

Ive now noticed with just a few play shots that the exposure is very very blown out. Im pretty new to exposing with flash so any tips or advice appreciated are much appreciated

In the semi manual modes (A and S priority) my cameras flash menu consists of

1. Fill
    2.Slow Sync
    3. Rear Sync
    4. Wireless

Same options in full manual.

I also have the option of Pre-TTL flash and ADI.

When I use the onboard flash to trigger the off camera flashgun, I have the camera and flash set to optical wireless mode which relies on infrared to send and recieve the trigger signal, and the exposures seem spot on for the most part.

Now when using the new triggers, im not sure how to set it all up and get correct exposure , all the test shots ive taken are WAY blown ??? Can anyone steer me in the right direction oh and my flash is fully automatic, no manual power settings ..
    Last edited by bigdazzler; 10-03-2009 at 2:15pm.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume with the triggers it will be all manual settings (no TTL) if they are connected via a PC cord? If this is the case you need to set the flash power or aperture manually on each flash.

Cheers
    Leigh
    Nikon D600, 24-70, 300 VR1 2.8, Tamron 60 f2 macro + Kenko tubes. SB800.

My Nikonians Gallery

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmm yea Leigh thats what i figured ..

so when using triggers youve got no TTL at all right ?? my flash is connected to the receiver with a sync cord , transmitter is on the camera hotshoe ..

if theres no TTL metering, how do you measure your exposure ?? Do I need a handheld flash/light meter ?? If so, i think im screwed here anyway, as this particular flash has no incremental power settings, its all auto ..

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darren I think the new radio poppers or PW's do have a TTL option but not these guys. Funny that your flash doesn't have any manual power or aperture settings - that could be a problem (if power is always the same, you will need a light modifier to match your camera settings).

You will need a light meter or trial and error to work out the right settings. With the SB800 I can adjust aperture and ISO to correspond with my camera settings to get the right exposure (close to anyway).

Cheers
    Leigh
    Last edited by TEITZY; 10-03-2009 at 2:48pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmm .. nah no such luck here, the Sony 36AM is their base flash, no manual at all

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I assume the flash is just firing at full power and hence the blown exposure. In a studio set-up where you are shooting pretty constant aperture and ISO, the appropriate diffusion on each flash is workable, though you will be possibly using more power than you need (particularly on the fill or kicker light). However things become a bit more tedious if you want to mix things up a bit in the studio or use this setup elsewhere.

Cheers
    Leigh