User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: 600w or 300w lights??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

600w or 300w lights??

This may seem like a stupid question but what is the difference with regards to a portrait between the two. I am looking at some lights but can't decide which ones.

Help!!!!
    Finally got 400D + 18-55mm Kit lens + 50mm 1.8II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -more power
    -more reach
    -better coverage of large subjects such as group shots or composition
    -faster recycling time (depends)

are u talking about studio strobe lights or a constant source of lighting? As I am thinking u are referring to strobe lighting

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you are talking 600ws strobes, then the 600's are definately the way to go. you will soon outgrow the 300's.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    talking strobes...thankyou for your advise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    regarding portrait, it doesnt matter how powerful it is as you can always adjust the power settings of the strobes

my Bowens Esprit are 500w heads, I have never ever shot at max power at 500w before, esp when shooting portraits in studio or on location

BUT, I need more power at or close to 500w whenever I am shooting from afar or when I have a shoot through brolly on, instead of a reflector

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How big is your studio?

For most home studio's 300w is more then you will ever need. I use 600w and where they are set up is on the small side of ideal. I am finding that I am on the lowest settings and at times I wish I could go lower.

western suburbs of melbourne as of 13/5/2010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My strobes consist of 1x 250w and 2 180w, with my single portraits ive been doing i have never moved the lights past there minimal setting, and i still get over exposures with them.
    Canon 50d - 300d backup - 28/135mm IS usm - 50mm 1.8 - ettl flash - Assortmant of other stuff I hardly use
    I think a photography class should be a requirement in all educational programs because it makes you see the world rather than just look at it. ~Author Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    How big is your studio?

For most home studio's 300w is more then you will ever need. I use 600w and where they are set up is on the small side of ideal. I am finding that I am on the lowest settings and at times I wish I could go lower.
    I have 400w elinchroms and find the same thing....working in a fairly small space. I am just going to get some more diffusion fabric to use when I need to drop the output more.
    Cheers, Lani.
    Bodies: Nikon D700, D300 Primes: Nikon 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4G, 105mm VR 2.8, 300mm f4. Zooms: Nikon 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR II 2.8, Sigma 10-20mm Processing: Photoshop CS5 extended, LR 3.2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a pair of "300w" Ebay specials which shocked me by using only 75w Halogen inserts !!

That said I use them mostly at their very lowest output levels anyway due to space limitations.

western suburbs of melbourne as of 13/5/2010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
    My strobes consist of 1x 250w and 2 180w, with my single portraits ive been doing i have never moved the lights past there minimal setting, and i still get over exposures with them.
    I should have mentioned in my last post im shooting with them in a 10mt X 5mt area and there still on lowest setting

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go the 600's because you'll hardly ever shoot 1/1 and at lower settings the recycle times should be faster than a 300 on similar light output.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankyou everyone for your input....I won't be doing anything about the strobes til after tax time so I have some time for more research.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Raven~ View Post
    Thankyou everyone for your input....I won't be doing anything about the strobes til after tax time so I have some time for more research.
    Let us know how you go.

Oh you're from Deloraine! I dropped in there on my way to Cradle Mountain last year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd personally go for the 600ws.. 300ws might be ok close up and in "darkness" but if you have a lot of ambient or even direct sun light to fight against they will become under powered.. same if you need to light up a larger area.. I shoot with 3ks heads (3000ws) and have never gone under 400ws for main or fill to shoot and that's what you would be using them for I would assume. the 300ws would be ok for product shoots but pushing the limits for portraits especially when shooting with umbrella, softboxes or other light modifiers