0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i bought mine for $880 got a free bag also

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    out of interest how well do things like lightroom and photoshop etc run on these machines. I know there not as good as a norm laptop etc, but for portable aspect they look really good.

I thinking of getting the msi wind and a new desktop as well so the netbook would only be really used for email, word and internet, but would like to do some editing mainly in lightroom while I am away etc.

Bigger stuff and detailed I would use a grunty desktop, but I am hoping the 1.6 atom in the msi can handle some extra work.
    Newbie to the world of Digital Gear: Nikon D60 - 18-55mm - 55 - 200mm - SB400 - New Sigma 10-20mm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/vk5mmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they work fine, just slow.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't vouch for lightroom, but CS3 works o.k on mine, and it only has 1 gig of RAM -Just don't expect it to stitch a 6 shot pano from raw files in a hurry!
    One good thing, actually two good things about the ASUS, it is very easy to upgrade both memory (to 2 gig max) and hard drive - takes standard laptop type hard drives. Also it has a built in 'overclocking' and underclocking funtction that allows you to run it faster or slower depending on what you are doing, which in turn helps conserve battery power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies,

The Atom 1.6g chip are the chips similar to others like my wifes laptop intel 1.4g with 768mg ram. I'm thinking they are almost the same, but not sure how they compare to a normal chip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there I have the Asus 1000H and have installed Lightroom 2.3 on it... It runs really well I was quite surprised its not as fast as my Duo Core laptop but does the job...

I'm going to use it for travelling os in a few month so will be perfect for me...

If I had to use the 1000H everyday for photo editing I would prefer a bigger screen and probably a bit faster processer but for the price its great....

Have not installed Photoshop but will do this over time.

If you have any more questions shoot away!

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    out of interest how well do things like lightroom and photoshop etc run on these machines. I know there not as good as a norm laptop etc, but for portable aspect they look really good.

I thinking of getting the msi wind and a new desktop as well so the netbook would only be really used for email, word and internet, but would like to do some editing mainly in lightroom while I am away etc.

Bigger stuff and detailed I would use a grunty desktop, but I am hoping the 1.6 atom in the msi can handle some extra work.
    Canon 7D with various lenses...

Zoom In With Eden Photography http://zoominwitheden.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edenconnell View Post
    Hi there I have the Asus 1000H and have installed Lightroom 2.3 on it... It runs really well I was quite surprised its not as fast as my Duo Core laptop but does the job...

I'm going to use it for travelling os in a few month so will be perfect for me...

If I had to use the 1000H everyday for photo editing I would prefer a bigger screen and probably a bit faster processer but for the price its great....

Have not installed Photoshop but will do this over time.

If you have any more questions shoot away!
    Cheers I guess this may seem like a stupid question but the wife has a intel 1.4 with 768ram and correct me if I am wrong but is the atom 1.6 chip with 1gb going to be faster than that.

Not sure if the atom chip is way different to a normal single core chip in most other normal laptops or desktops. If the atom is better by the fact it is 1.6 then the speed I have been used to on the wifes laptop isnt bad.

As said will be getting a decent desktop for majority of editing etc, but I like these little netbooks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ur tricked by the 1.6ghz again.
    atom is about the speed of a pentium 3.

ghz means nothing. a 1.6ghz core2duo is faster than a 3ghz pentium 4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ended up getting the wind u100 and there awesome these netbooks. Decided on this one only just over the asus and it was just liked the look and feel more on the msi.

only thing getting used to is the keyboard as i keep hitting s instead of a, but very happy so far.

Now I just have to work out what desktop to buy.

Cheers everyone for all the tips

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12