Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netbook recommendations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Netbook recommendations?

I am looking at getting a netbook in the next couple of months, and was wondering if anyone here was using one, or if anyone could recommend one?

It will be used mainly for storing/editing photos on, when out and about (plan on going to the NT this year for a week) and also to play videos/movies for the kids on long drives. Would also like to output movies to tv.

Any ideas?
    So far I have looked at the Dell mini 9 which seems to have had some good reviews, and it seems thay may be bringing out a mini10 soon, which would hopefully bring the price down a bit more.

Cheers,

Matt

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously not...

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Matt

Sorry, saw the post a little while ago but the term netbook threw me. I have an Acer Aspire One - 120 GB, 3 USB ports, 2 SD readers, webcam, wireless, Intel Atom processor.

I just love it for its small size and versatility. I got it to store and process photos on the move. It runs CS3 no probs but the screen is too small to effectively load RAW in CS3 (or I haven't worked out how to do it yet). BAttery life is a bit limiting and the Atom isn't the quickest processor on the planet (but is OK).

Would definitely get another if it broke or got stolen. The Asus EEPC is the benchmark but is dearer. Toshiba make a nice one too.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Buddah - I have been doing a fair bit of research over the last couple of days, and although my first preference would be the samsung NC10, Samsung do not sell it here in Oz , so hopefully will be getting an Asus 1000H in the near future.

I am glad you said CS3 worked o.k. - This is the one this I was concerned with.
    I was also going to try out Picasa 3- mainly for the effective library ability (Bridge drives me bonkers), plus it allows some very basic editing options - no raw conversion, sharpening, or noise reduction though.

I have been thinking about the RAW conversion, and if Adobe RAW doesn't work on the netbook, then in camera conversion would be the other (non preffered) option. From the little I have played around with it, I think Pentax do a reasonable job with this. The Pentax image software that comes with the camera, I found to be absolutely rubbish, and very fustrating, so I will be avoiding that for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you've got it worked out, Matt. The Asus and the Samsung look similar to me so you probably won't go wrong with the Asus. It was above my pricepoint at the time but on reflection the extra you pay would probably be worth it for the greater battery life.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 10" screen allows you to open RAW in CS3 at highest screen resolution. For you that would be problem solved.

Anyway, whichever way you go it will make saving and working on your photos so much easier away from home.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a ASUS EEE (7" model) and it does everything I need.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Acer Aspire One 120g too, i use it for travelling together with a 3G usb modem.

It is slow but it does the job. I'm not sure what it will be like running CS3 or lightroom, i just use the Portable Photoshop which only takes 80mb of space.

I got it for $499 + the cashback but chose the Extended warrarnty option... just because it's an Acer lol

It failed on me once, but Acer warranty made me update the Bios thing which i haven't got around to because i just got back from traveling.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I picked up a Asus 1000H today, and was just about to update all the drivers, and install software etc, when I just thought I would check to see how they partitioned the 160 gig hard drive - 40 gig in C: drive, and 40 gig in D: drive....... ***! they gave me the model with the 80 gig HD Here I was more concerned they didn't give me the one with the old processor, and didn't even think to check the HD size.

So now I have to go through all the BS to get it changed over - at least it shouldn't be a problem (fingers crossed) - it was advertised with the 160G HD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn what a hassle. Hopefully they won't make it difficult for a swap over. All the best!

btw, good choice on the ASUS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the purchase and I hope you're able to sort out the mix-up soon. The Asus 1000h did make the short list when I was shopping for a netbook but eventually decided on the Dell mini9. Apart the slightly annoying keyboard and tiny touch pad which I should have expected from a 9 incher, the dells great. Big advantage is size, weight and it has no moving parts due to it's (puny) solid state 16gb hard drive which means it'll take quite a beating on my travels.

Nath.
    NATH
    * Canon 50D * 28mm 1.8 * 10-22mm 3.5-4.5 * 17-50mm 2.8 * 70-200mm 4Lis * 580EX II *
    * Canon S5is * Manfrotto 479-4B & 718B * Crumpler 5 & 7 million dollar home *

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up taking it back where I brought it from, and brought it from another retailer for the same price with the correct specs. All is good now, and I am very happy with it

I have loaded CS3 on it, and it seems to work all o.k - screen real estate is a bit scarce, but it is o.k. in a pinch. The only problem, as Buddah pointed out is that Adobe RAW requires 1024x768 minimum to run, and the native resolution of the screen is 1024x600. Fortunately ASUS have a utility to run the screen at 1024x768 either in a compressed mode (not very nice) or in a scrolling mode, where you use the mouse pointer to scroll up or down to see more screen. This is satisfactory, but I could see it getting tedious if needing to process too many photos - the solution here would be to output to a larger monitor via the VGA port.

At this stage all is good, and I would certainly recommend this unit to anyone wanting a small laptop that is easily transported. For me it is an ideal solution for those people that are out in the field and require something to store and review their photos - heck you could even edit, and upload them via wireless broadband if needed.

Cheers.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got my son the Asus with the 160gb hdd, it's a brilliant little machine! I think I had more fun with it when he first got it than he did..lol The only thing I have to get for it now is microslop office so he can do his school work on it, that is afterall what I bought it for..lol that and he now leaves my laptop alone
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Kirsty - I have been using the included software programs from StarOffice 8 which as far as I can tell works just the same, if not better in some respects.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh ok, might pay to have a look then instead of paying out the $180 they want for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone have other models? Most are going at 800ish mark and +60 to get 2gb ram. At that price you can buy 15" 'normal' notebooks - quite depressing.

the aspire one I tried, spacebar keeps annoying me, I hit the plastic under it. No such problems with the 10" eeepc, lenovo s10, msi wind, hp mini 1001, benq u101.

not many places have a good range tho, even in sydney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the reviews on the msi wind, but will be watching this topic as I thinking of one
    Newbie to the world of Digital Gear: Nikon D60 - 18-55mm - 55 - 200mm - SB400 - New Sigma 10-20mm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/vk5mmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tried the msi wind, it's nice. Problem is they changed touchpad from synaptics to a crap one. I like synaptics touchpads. And will make this an issue to switch.

There is a Kogan Agora Netbook from www.kogan.com.au quite cheap. Not out yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a black Asus 1000H last week such a great little computer..... my mum saw it and has bought the white version....

I have loaded Lightroom and a few other programs...

It runs really well, can't fault it yet....

Screen is a little small but that is what I wanted it for to travel with.......

I ordered some extra RAM to go from 1GB to 2GB, RAM upgrades are always important with computers more RAM = more speed....
    Canon 7D with various lenses...

Zoom In With Eden Photography http://zoominwitheden.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can highly recommend the Asus n10j with its 9300gs 256mb graphic card 160gig hdd, 2gig ram,
    its a really awesome little machine! i bought one on thursday and i have photoshop on it and it works a charm!

i can also play online games on everything low details that is but it works fine!!

i love it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the Asus n10j too, its specs look great. But it was selling for >$1k!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast