User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HD Failure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It still seems that freezing the HD for a few days has worked for many people.
    Greg

Please feel free to rework any of my images on this forum.

I also welcome any constructive criticism or suggestions.

http://www.gregwallis.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put my failed drive in the chest freezer for 4 hours (with peas and corn wrapped about it) and it spun up for about 10 sec and then the ticking started again. Will try for several ours more.

Also tried that Get Data Back software however it seems to be built for recovering lost/deleted data rather than CPR on a twitching drive.

thanks all.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enduro View Post
    Regrettably my Seagate EIDE 320Gig main hard drive failed last week with about 200Gig of photo's on it!! Fortunately however, it is under warranty until 2012 but the warranty doesn't appear to cover data recovery - of course I will want to recover the images.

Fault: Hard drive was performing as normal and then on 2 bootups displayed a NTloader error, on the next boot up the HD was not recognised by the machine and now it just makes ticking sounds. Sounds like the head armature is stuck or something similar.
    You can attempt to save the drive your self, but to try costs you the price of another drive (Identical) and there is no assurances of success.

The circuit board at the bottom of the drive is easy enough to swap, and in alot of drive failures all that is required. The tricky bit is buying the exact same model and version of the drive.

If you can get the drive to spin, and be recognised by the bios, Spinrite from grc.com might recover the drive enough to get the data off it.

If your a religious man, prayer is also strongly recommended.

Freezing the drive was a trick used to recover Fujitsu MPG hard Drives that had a chip that overheated to cause the failure, it is strongly not recommended on other drives as it kills more than it saves.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    You can attempt to save the drive your self, but to try costs you the price of another drive (Identical) and there is no assurances of success.

The circuit board at the bottom of the drive is easy enough to swap, and in alot of drive failures all that is required. The tricky bit is buying the exact same model and version of the drive.

If you can get the drive to spin, and be recognised by the bios, Spinrite from grc.com might recover the drive enough to get the data off it.

If your a religious man, prayer is also strongly recommended.

Freezing the drive was a trick used to recover Fujitsu MPG hard Drives that had a chip that overheated to cause the failure, it is strongly not recommended on other drives as it kills more than it saves.
    I am about to try Spinrite now and my Q. is will run the same if the faulty drive is set as the slave drive? Can't seem to see a reference to that in the manual thus far.

Drive is not recognised in the BIOS at boot up. Sounds like teh drive it fragged and only opportunity may be to take it to a PRO.

Fortunately not ll my images are on one drive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that Wayne, I had a similar thing happen a couple of months ago, fortunately I backup to another drive on my machine as well as a portable drive. Hope someone can recover your work successfully.

Which reminds me.... must do a backup tonight

An honest C+C please!

"I started life with nothing and I still have most of it left"

Nikon D300
    Photoshop CS4 Extended

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bright side is that Seagate will honour the warranty & replace if a tech needs to dismantle the drive. Maybe they will allow me to use the original retail price to upgrade to a larger size.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12