Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this what I need ??

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK ----
    Test #1 Darren, mount the transmitter on the camera and hit the shutter, don't worry about the receiver or flash just yet.

Does the indicator light on the transmitter light up when you hit the shutter?
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check when the transmitter is on the camera , the red light flashes when I hit the shutter button and the TEST button .. this part seems to be ok.

Further, the receivers red light is also flashing in both instances. So signal seems to be getting through. Both independent channels ( 1 and 2 ) seem to be working also. I tested them individually with correct switching config and got red lights at both ends. When I mixed the channel config.up, I am only getting a red light at the transmitter.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jolly good.

Now, how about you post some photos of the connectors ( both sides ) of all the devices, the flash foot, the adaptor and then the receiver.
    I am thinking from what I can see that the receiver and adaptor need the synch cord to be plugged into the flash unit.

Does the Sony flash have a synch port?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok ive just had some email contact from the place i bought the flash adapter shoe/cable and theyve cleared up a few things for me ..

The base of the "shoe" on the flash adapter cable is not hot, has no contact points, and is there purely for mounting purposes.

So, the only way to connect the flash to the receiver is to use the coiled cable miniplug. Now to find a suitable adapter ..

I knew that flash adapter cable was made for Elinchrom Skyports, PWs, and CyberSync triggers, the mistake I made was not researching the connection jacks on the PHOTTIX triggers before buying, I assumed they would be the same female miniplug, not only a PC ..

Lesson learned ..

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post

Now, how about you post some photos of the connectors ( both sides ) of all the devices, the flash foot, the adaptor and then the receiver.
    I am thinking from what I can see that the receiver and adaptor need the synch cord to be plugged into the flash unit.

Does the Sony flash have a synch port?
    yea ive now established that the foot of the flash adapter has no contacts and the only way to connect the flash to the receiver is to use the cables miniplug.

nah mate, the 36AM doesnt have a sync port , thats why I needed the adapter
    bloody Sony Im starting to regret my approach to steer away from the big 2 ...

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    So, the only way to connect the flash to the receiver is to use the coiled cable miniplug. Now to find a suitable adapter ..
    That sounds like a minor drama at the end of it all Darren, Tandy or Dick Smith etc. should be able to put together a few terminal ends to make it all work.

As for not going with the "big 2" , I have said it before and I will say it again, I reckon Sony will become part of the "big 3" sooner rather than later. Their new gear is getting better and better all the time ( there are plenty of excellent Sony shots on AP to prove that ) and the existing KM lenses are beaut, plus, they are a company that is better prepared to weather poor economic times by not having to rely solely on camera sales to stay afloat.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    That sounds like a minor drama at the end of it all Darren, Tandy or Dick Smith etc. should be able to put together a few terminal ends to make it all work.

As for not going with the "big 2" , I have said it before and I will say it again, I reckon Sony will become part of the "big 3" sooner rather than later. Their new gear is getting better and better all the time.
    Yea I know, I was just ranting .. this bloody unique hotshoe will be the death of me

I just ducked into Dick Smith and got a female/female minplug connector , now just gotta get a male minplug to PC plug, they are readily available ..

The place I bought the cables from were going on about my flash having a "very low sync voltage" and the PHOTTIX triggers might not fire it anyway ??
    Last edited by bigdazzler; 24-02-2009 at 6:14pm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12