Thread: Internet Explorer V8 - due March - impacts

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Internet Explorer V8 - due March - impacts

Internet Explorer V8 (IE8) is due for release in March (the beta version has been out for a long time).

Some things to watch out for...

First, AP has not done any testing with IE8 - but we don't expect any problems either as we don't use Microsoft specific code.

Secondly, IE8 is the first version of IE that will *nearly* fully support the W3C standards.
    While this is a very good thing it does mean that sites that relied on Microsoft non standard features will break.
    Microsoft's own www.microsoft.com breaks under IE8 - so expect Microsoft to be fixing their own sites.
    Some banking and financial sites wont work with IE8, in fact any site that only works with IE6 or IE7 is very likely to break under IE8.

Unless you are a technically competent user that fully understands the implications of the IE8 upgrade we recommend that you wait at least six months before upgrading to IE8. In the mean time you should stick with IE7 and make sure all relevant Microsoft patches are applied or even better still use an alternate like Firefox.
    See: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=20451

Refer:
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2067&tag=nl.e539
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that Kym, useful info!
    Canon EOS 50D, EF 16-35 f2.8L II, EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 430 EXII.
    Panasonic FZ28, Raynox 150 & 250 close-up, Nikon E15ED TC.
    www.mypikkies.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading a review on it and it said while it has improved, it is still lagging a fair way behind the others ie Firefox and Opera.
    Julie

Canon 6D,Fuji X100
    l Canon 50mm f1.8 MK l l Canon 85mm f1.8 l Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro l Canon 24-70IS f4L l LR4/CS6

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Unless you are a technically competent user that fully understands the implications of the IE8 upgrade we recommend that you wait at least six months before upgrading to IE8. In the mean time you should stick with IE7
    Um .... as a matter of defeniition, there is no such thing as a technically competent user still running Internet Explorer.

(Obviously, I'm excluding user-has-no-choice situatons like some corporate intranets, in which case the technical incompetence lies in the upper echelons of the IT department, and has nothing to do with the user.)

But leaving matters of defenition aside, IE 8 does raise interesting issues with regard to web design and coding. Maybe this is my imagination, but I get the sense that there is a marked reluctance on the part of the web design community to rewrite code to suit IE8. (I'm talking real designers/coders here, not the jumped-up Frontpage users that do IE-only sites and wouldn't know a web standard if it bit them on the joy button.)

Last time I looked, IE8 was breaking on quite a lot of 100% standards compliant sites. Either Microsoft have fixed a lot of stuff since then, or else IE 8 is going to have quite a struggle gaining mind share and market share. Or maybe the web coding fraternity will do a bit of patching at the last minute after all. wait and see, I guess.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm yes i made comment sometime back that this IE8 was a bit sus, unfortunately i have had it on my system for some time now. Normally i do not update for a year or two not sure why I changed for this update anyway stuck with it now.

Yes Westpac broking is a bit of a challenge to open some of the links, Google searches do not give the full page of results and so on and so on but just have to work with it now until they remedy, of course could switch to another browser, I have Firefox on my other computer

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Um .... as a matter of definition, there is no such thing as a technically competent user still running Internet Explorer. <snip>
    My friend Tony! You are to the point as usual. I was trying to be polite and as you said - some are stuck with a silly SOE they cannot change.
    Also, some do not feel comfortable moving away from their commercially supplied product, so its just a warning that this upgrade maybe very unpleasant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that tip Kym, wouldn't of known about any of that unless you informed us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'll be staying with Firefox, it works OK for me.

An honest C+C please!

"I started life with nothing and I still have most of it left"

Nikon D300
    Photoshop CS4 Extended

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see no reason to not use Firefox or something other then IE unless you have no choice in the matter.

Paul

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pgbphotographytas View Post
    I can see no reason to not use Firefox or something other then IE unless you have no choice in the matter.
    Paul
    Only a bit less than 1/2 of AP members of us do! (Our site stats - Feb 09)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Um .... as a matter of defeniition, there is no such thing as a technically competent user still running Internet Explorer.
    Interestingly, I've been using IE8 on a home workstation by choice since first Beta, I'm posting this reply from IE7, and use Google Chrome on my workstation at work. I no longer use Safari or Firefox, neither did it for me. (I've never experienced any issue with IE8 and Ausphoto as an aside.)

Lucky for me I've got all these pieces of paper lieing around the place to convinve my clients that I might still know what I'm doing.

So just for interest sake, how many Ausphotography users are MCITP's or have CCNA / CCIE ?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Only a bit less than 1/2 of AP members of us do! (Our site stats - Feb 09)
    Interesting stat's there, I think in the next year or so that will change quite a bit.

Paul

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post

So just for interest sake, how many Ausphotography users are MCITP's or have CCNA / CCIE ?
    I never sat the final CCNA exam (as work would not pay for it) but I did the whole CCNA course and got very good marks across the 4 semesters, that was back in 2000/2001

Some of what I learnt has helped me in my job but as I don't get to do much on the comms side of things alot of it I have never used.

Paul

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to stick with Opera..................

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting stats - there are still people using Netscape? (Or is it some form of browser faking?)
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very, very rare these days, Rob, but once a year or so we see a computer come in that's using Netscape - pretty much always one of the Netscape-branded rebadges of Mozilla (which is now known as Seamonkey) though, essentially Mozilla + ads + bugs. I can't remember seeing an actual Netscape 4.x in use for quite a few years now.

My guess is that would mostly be some kind of web crawler robot identifying itself incorrectly - many of them do.

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pgbphotographytas View Post
    Interesting stat's there, I think in the next year or so that will change quite a bit.
    Paul
    Feb 2008 - IE 64.3% and Firefox 30.1%. So the trend is away from IE (Safari and Opera up a little as well).