User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: DDR 2 ram: where to get it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DDR 2 ram: where to get it?

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get 2x 1gig of DDR2 ram for a reasonable price, tried locally and the price they are quoting is silly. ... something bout the manufacturer going bust.
    Cheers, Lani.
    Bodies: Nikon D700, D300 Primes: Nikon 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4G, 105mm VR 2.8, 300mm f4. Zooms: Nikon 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR II 2.8, Sigma 10-20mm Processing: Photoshop CS5 extended, LR 3.2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lani, before you go out and buy any ram you should check what is the most suitable brand.
    Your Mother Board manufacturer will have recommendations on their website.
    Next we need to know if you are completely replacing your memory or is this ad add on.
    If it is an add on then you should match what you have currently.
    This will save you a lot of problems if you consider those things first.

One you have sorted out what is the best ram then you can go hunting.

Go to https://www.auspcmarket.com.au/ and hit the memory tab

Also I buy from the Sunday Computer swap meets if you have one handy, but here you will have to stick to the brand you know, don't be convinced to buy others.

Hope that little bit helps, I'm sure there are more qualified people here who can add to that.
    David

RAW post work done with Aperture 4 with image size done in CS5

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is where i get most of my computer stuff from.. reasonable prices and they ship anywhere in austtralia
    http://www.umart.com.au/
    hope that helps
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I normally stick to Corsair, the one with the heat sinks attached is great.

I think I paid about $64.95 for a twin pack (2 x 1Gb).
    See my website @ http://www.aroundsydneyphotography.com

Pentax K20D
    D-BG2 Battery Grip
    Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
    Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM II
    Slik 300DX Tripod
    Sigma 530 DG Super Flash
    SanDisk 200X 8GB SDHC Cards

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i-tech is an AP site advertiser and Scorptec have a pretty prompt service record with me.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, will check which brand I have,( via Michael)... pulling towers apart isn't in my comfort zone. ), it is an add on to the 2 gig I have atm, hopefully it will speed things up, or I may have to upgrade the motherboard as well... bugger!

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an after thought, when we "built" a new box I quickly found out (through site members here who's names escape me ATM ) that anything much over 2GB is useless on windoze XP as it won't be recognised.

What OS are you using Lani & Michael?

Hopefully a tech guru on this site will advise you better.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    As an after thought, when we "built" a new box I quickly found out (through site members here who's names escape me ATM ) that anything much over 2GB is useless on windoze XP as it won't be recognised.

Still using XP Andrew.

The techie side of photography is really starting to get to me, between that and colour management, I could scream.... just when I think I have it figured out something else crops up.

Sorry bout the rant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MSY Technology from my experience have the cheapest prices for computer hardware.
    Their website is appalling to say the least - and you have to go in knowing what you want as their customer service is minimal - but if you don't mind that - they definitely have the best prices

They have Kingston (decent brand) 2 x 1G 667mhz DDR2 for $49

www.msy.com.au
    Nikon D750
    Olympus m/43
    Rolleicord IV

My SmugMug

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lani - have you tried Tas Principal Computers, they are local and have found them to be quite good on price.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DDR2 is so cheap it doesn't make sense to buy on price. You would struggle to pay for the extra fuel you'd burn rinning around town. Just go wherever is closest.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post

You may have issues with Windows recognising more than 3 Gigs if you have more than 3Gigs of RAM.
    It's common for Windows device manager/system properties to report that there may only be 3.something Gigs of RAM if there is in fact 4 gigs of the stuff.
    In some cases it may only report something like 2.8 Gigs, so if you install 3Gigs of RAM and only see 2.8 of it.. that's probably something to do with the hardware installed.

3 Gigs seems to be a good amount of RAM, and having just re-read some of the links I saved, there is a small edit you can make to allow programs to access more than the standard 2gig amount that they do now.
    Most likely not worth doing it as it may hang your PC.

Hopefully with 3Gigs of RAM installed, you should notice a small improvement in performance. If not a re-install of the OS maybe in order????

Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 3GB is the practical limit; the exact amount varies with the mainboard, and doesn't really matter in any case. But it is generally best to install 4GB using 2 x 2GB sticks, which should be identical. Kym and I went into some detail on this in another thread a few days ago, it might be worth hunting down.

Edit: in most cases, a reinstall makes a lot more difference than the extra RAM does, but only for a relatively short time, and only if the existing install is a mess - but most are.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wideangle View Post
    Hi Lani - have you tried Tas Principal Computers, they are local and have found them to be quite good on price.
    Thanks Thomas, Michael got his last system there, and found them to be pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

Hopefully with 3Gigs of RAM installed, you should notice a small improvement in performance. If not a re-install of the OS maybe in order????

Might have to give that a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    About 3GB is the practical limit; the exact amount varies with the mainboard, and doesn't really matter in any case. But it is generally best to install 4GB using 2 x 2GB sticks, which should be identical. Kym and I went into some detail on this in another thread a few days ago, it might be worth hunting down.

Edit: in most cases, a reinstall makes a lot more difference than the extra RAM does, but only for a relatively short time, and only if the existing install is a mess - but most are.
    Yeah, thanks Tony, this is a thread from a while ago, think I have decided to take your advice from the other one and hang fire for a few months then upgrade the lot.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MSY are the cheapest but make sure you know what you are buying. www.msy.com.au
    http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf