Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Antivirus do you use?

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CypherOz View Post
    All of our IT technical staff our using Avast! at home and that's what they recommend to family and friends (means the least work for them )
    But is that descision based on the cost of the update service (free or at cost) or how secure the system is at providing protection??

My experience with techi's is they don't want to pay a red cent for anything that could be gotten for free even if its at the cost of lower quality

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, but still works for me, as you said "best of both world's"

Wal'

Quote Originally Posted by DzRbenson View Post
    AVG is now owned by Symantec have the build engine for version 7 is still the full AVG system, plus you get the updates from norton...

best of both worlds
    PENTAX K20D+Grip, K200D+Grip, K100D, SF7, 540 Flash, Benro C298N6 Tripod, Velbon PH-273QL B/Head + a few lenses

be kind to other people........ they...............outnumber you........................6 billion - to - one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    But is that descision based on the cost of the update service (free or at cost) or how secure the system is at providing protection??

My experience with techi's is they don't want to pay a red cent for anything that could be gotten for free even if its at the cost of lower quality
    Avast was reccomended to me from a Government IT person, I was using VET and didn't like it. A program like Avast as reccomended to me was no skin off the IT guys nose whether I paid for an anti-virus or not, he had nothing to gain by advising to use it.

Been using AVAST now for 2 years every day with zilch problems so I'd say the reccomendation was very sound one and seems a lot of others swear by it as well.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moved from Norton Internet Security to Avast. Things sped up and I am happier. However, the main reason for the move was Norton started removing features that I liked - such as ad blocking - and messing around with others - the firewall, which was based on an earlier product that I had followed to Norton.

I am hands on with my computer, and didn't like the way control was being taken away from me.

I now use Avast antivirus, Sunbelt firewall, Admuncher and SuperAntispyware. It gives me what I want and have not had a problem (touch wood!)
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your advice everyone. This decision was taken out of our hands.

Norton went ahead and debited our cc from the details of last year's subscription and automatically renewed for another year. That is the nail in the coffin for them though, that won't happen again .

I figure the crap involved in trying to get the charge reversed is not worth it and we will definitely be removing Norton from our system a month prior to the expiry to ensure it does not happen again.
    Olympus E-510 | Kit lenses Olympus 14mm- 42mm, 40mm- 150mm & newly acquired 50mm f/2
    Photoshop Elements 6 | Velbon Tripod |FL-36 Electronic Flash

Next on the hit list is Sigma 10mm - 20mm

Any comments and critique welcome.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    g'day nic... i use the current version of NAV and its a big improvement over the last version. it doesnt use anywhere near as much memory isnt as bloaty. I use NAV 09 on my desktop and AGV free on my lappy. the AGV has been giving me grief to no end lately with corupted files that keep popping up (can remember what they were but they stopped the proggy from updating).

I think NAV 09 is worth the money and you more than likely wont have any problems with it.

havent used avast...

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks David.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kaspersky here, i have heard excellent reviews of Nod32 as well.

been through norton and mcafee - both total bloatware. You'd probably be better off with a virus rather than one of those two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AVG all the way....I had Norton but it sucked....I just don't get why when you buy antivirus software why should you keep paying for it. AVG free was recommended by my IP.
    Finally got 400D + 18-55mm Kit lens + 50mm 1.8II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, it's Trendo Micro and AVG Free. Both work well together despite compatability warnings during installation.

Cheers,

Lox

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AVAST user here, i switched from using Norton when i formatted my computer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123