User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Antivirus do you use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good example i spose on Norton - friend in Holland found me a file I was looking for - ran ok his system (+using Norton) - AVG 8 refused to even let it set up on here - picked up a trojan - Norton didn't pic it up - was a valid trojan also

Actually he was a bit confused on why it wouldn't let me run it - as he said his AV had said it was ok - but it wasn't
    Last edited by Miaow; 14-02-2009 at 9:45pm.
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AVG + Comodo firewall should keep my machines safe...
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AVG [paid for] have been using it for years, never had a virus get through.
    "touch wood"

Wal'
    PENTAX K20D+Grip, K200D+Grip, K100D, SF7, 540 Flash, Benro C298N6 Tripod, Velbon PH-273QL B/Head + a few lenses

be kind to other people........ they...............outnumber you........................6 billion - to - one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, AVG is popular, I use to use it until I got a real virus, which Kaspersky found and cleaned, so have been using it ever since. Never had a problem since, and I spend a LOT of time on the internet.

http://klacampaign.kaspersky.com.au/...?campaign=go02

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    none .. I got a mac

before , AVG free on desktop and laptop and never had any dramas at all ..
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AVG Pro here too...no dramas

Have used nortons and hated that every year i had to update it by paying for an updated version...couldnt just update it as part of my initial purchase price which was rediculous. Have used trend micro and wasnt too bad but by far AVG has been the best...havent tried the Avast though...
    Kind Regards, Deb

Canon 1000D, 7D, Sigma 100mm Macro, Tamron 17-50mm, 18-55mm, 70 - 300mm, 50mm f1.8, Sigma 10-20mm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While i see that Norton gets the thumbs down here, the version i am running is the 2009 version, not really fair to run it down unless it is that very same version you are referring to, like i said in my previous post, i was one to call it a system hog,and everything else bad, but it's definately not the case with the current version.

I used to use AVG, but the current version i found no where near as good as previous versions.
    Julie

Canon 6D,Fuji X100
    l Canon 50mm f1.8 MK l l Canon 85mm f1.8 l Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro l Canon 24-70IS f4L l LR4/CS6

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcas View Post
    While i see that Norton gets the thumbs down here, the version i am running is the 2009 version, not really fair to run it down unless it is that very same version you are referring to, like i said in my previous post, i was one to call it a system hog,and everything else bad, but it's definately not the case with the current version.

I used to use AVG, but the current version i found no where near as good as previous versions.
    obviously Symantec have had to do a lot of work on Norton. When you look at the snapshot of people here who jumped off the Norton ship, you can probably guess at what happened to their income stream. If they have indeed resolved all the issues that made us all jump ship, good on them. The problem is, now we are all happy with what we have currently got, and I see no need to go back to them. If my current setup was failing me, yep would re-consider.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use Norton but ditched it when it became such an intrusive and bloated app, and got Kaspersky instead. Kaspersky found 2 macro viruses straight away, so another vote for Kaspersky!.

My sons use AVG Free and Comodo firewall on their PCs and it appears to be good. I no longer use antivirus as I now have a Mac.

Regards,
    Calx
    Calxoddity
    Concert Pianist, Test Pilot, Pathological Liar

Nikon D40, Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 HSM, Nikkor AF-D 50mm f1.8
    Post Processing: Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 6

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    The problem is, now we are all happy with what we have currently got, and I see no need to go back to them. If my current setup was failing me, yep would re-consider.
    That's the thing Rick. Here I am thinking do I need to pay another $90 to renew for a year, when although I have no issues with viruses (touch wood), space is a big issue for us with the norm being the "Low on virtual memory" box continually showing. Thanks everyone for you responses, it has helped narrow down which other anti virus apps to look at.
    Olympus E-510 | Kit lenses Olympus 14mm- 42mm, 40mm- 150mm & newly acquired 50mm f/2
    Photoshop Elements 6 | Velbon Tripod |FL-36 Electronic Flash

Next on the hit list is Sigma 10mm - 20mm

Any comments and critique welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AVG for me
    Site: DzR Photography
    Flickr: Flickr

Camera: Sony A350 DSLR
    Lenses: 18-70mm, 55-200mm, 50mm f1.4, 70-300G, Minolta 35-70mm f4, Tamron 17-50 2.8
    Flash: Sony HVLF42AM
    Tripod: 190xPROB, 488RC4
    Memory: Sandisk Extreme 200x CF
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3 + RAW

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope all you AVG users realise that AVG is owned lock stock and barrel by Symantec (Norton). On my PC system its NOD32 with Comodo F/Wall and other spyware/malware bits. I also use spybot and windows defender.

On the Mac - its nothin - the advantage of being on the dark side

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm going to go against most of the posters it seems.

I got Nortons when I purchase my laptop just over 14 months ago.

Several years ago I had a computer completely fried when AVG failed to pick up a nasty virus, but I thought I would give it another go - considering what time has passed and maybe they have improved so when Nortons ran out, I loaded AVG.

I have just gone back onto Nortons and on the very first scan, Nortons picked up a virus that AVG hadn't even mentioned.

From now on, I won't be using AVG as I don't really trust it to find 100% of the viruses around these days
    Sue
    Canon Powershot A710is
    Hoping to move up to something a bit more
    in-depth very soon

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by auntysue70 View Post
    Well, I'm going to go against most of the posters it seems.
    I got Nortons when I purchase my laptop just over 14 months ago.
    Several years ago I had a computer completely fried when AVG failed to pick up a nasty virus, but I thought I would give it another go - considering what time has passed and maybe they have improved so when Nortons ran out, I loaded AVG.
    I have just gone back onto Nortons and on the very first scan, Nortons picked up a virus that AVG hadn't even mentioned.
    From now on, I won't be using AVG as I don't really trust it to find 100% of the viruses around these days
    And I've seen the reverse happen as well. Norton, Vet etc. missing what Avast! and AVG get. It happens - the AV vendors so not share the knowledge all that well.

I'm one of the IT managers at work - fleet of over 100 servers and 1600 notebooks/desktops.
    We have a bunch of engineers working for us who load software when they feel like it.
    We don't use Norton! (We use CA eTrust).
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone's experiences are very interesting CypherOz..
    I guess it all comes down to personal experience and preference..
    I must say, I agree that they should all share info.
    Also, I'll say that I find my Norton 2009 much faster than the AVG that I was using..

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by auntysue70 View Post
    Everyone's experiences are very interesting CypherOz..
    I guess it all comes down to personal experience and preference..
    I must say, I agree that they should all share info.
    Also, I'll say that I find my Norton 2009 much faster than the AVG that I was using..
    As long as it work for you.
    We regularly review our software at work (at least annually). We have regular security audits etc.
    In my professional experience (at this time) Avast! is the best option for home users and CA for business. All of our IT technical staff our using Avast! at home and that's what they recommend to family and friends (means the least work for them )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Hope all you AVG users realise that AVG is owned lock stock and barrel by Symantec (Norton). On my PC system its NOD32 with Comodo F/Wall and other spyware/malware bits. I also use spybot and windows defender.

On the Mac - its nothin - the advantage of being on the dark side
    AVG is now owned by Symantec have the build engine for version 7 is still the full AVG system, plus you get the updates from norton...

best of both worlds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I jumped ship years ago from Norton then went to AVG but somehow a virus slipped through then I tried Avast and have never looked back have been using avast for 3 & bit yrs. No Virused thank goodness.
    Cheers Debra
    Canon 50D l G11 l Sigma 17-70 l Sigma 70-200 l Sigma 10-20 l Canon 50mm 1.8 ll l
    Canon 60mm macro l Canon 100mm Macro lS l Canon 17- 85 l Canon 24-105mm l Speedlight 580 EX ll + other bits n pieces
    ||Tamron 18-270mm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't even heard of Avast but might give it a go when my current Norton's expires

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run Symantec Endpoint Security at home. Nortons products were to bloated. I've run AVG/Kaspersky/Trend/Symantec on a test network and found Kaspersky to be slightly ahead in hits but sometimes over zealous with false positives. Back when I was an IT geek, we went from McCafee to Symantec and it was a breath of fresh air but that was over 2000 plus systems that I was responsible for so the Enterprise Management side was win win.

I'm with Bax though, careful internet use is probably the best way to protect your machine. I've repaired many a computer with fully up to date anti virus packages of all forms, and the user has still managed to infest the thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast