Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changing from sRGB to Adobe RGB

HI ,

Been trying to get my head around the colour spaces, 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit stuff and want to know peoples thoughts on changing from one to the other, especially if it's say from an 8 bit sRGB file to say a 16 bit Adobe RGB or even ProPhoto RGB, can it be done? I can see that downgrading from a 16 bit Adobe RGB would be possible but am wondering if it works the other way around. Wouldn't there be too much interpolation by the computer to add extra shades of colour where it wasn't?

Should I just continue with an sRGB colour setting, I have numerous slides that I have had converted to digital and most are 8 bit sRGB files, some 16 bit sRGB. I know for Web stuff sRGB is the choice.

What about my G10? the specs say it has an sRGB colour space, but I thought that if I saved files in RAW format that they did not have a colour space embedded, am I wrong with this? I thought that a RAW file could be anything that you wanted, maybe I am wrong here.
    Be nice to find an easy to understand article or articles on this subject, can anyone point me to something. I have googled this subject and as many results there are there are an equal number of interpretations on this subject.

Mick
    Fujifilm GA645Wi
    Canon PowerShot G10
    Canon 17-40 f/4L 70-200 f/4L
    Photoshop Lightroom 3.6 & CS4

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can change colourspaces, but you cannot 'create' colour where it didnt exist. So going from sRGB to AdobeRGB (adobe being the bigger colourspace) isnt really going to achieve anything.

On the other hand, most DSLR are capable of shooting in AdobeRGB, and then can be reduced to the sRGB space. RAW files do have a colourspace, it is that colourspace that determines the colour data that is in the RAW file. The colourspace can be set in camera (as per previous statement).
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick,

That's exactly what I thought regarding sRGB to Adobe RGB, what about 8 bit to 16 bit, I guess it's the same, trying to create info where there is none?
    As for the RAW thing I obviously misunderstood what I read about the colour space not being embedded until you tell it when saving to .PSD, .TIFF or whatever.
    Unfortunately the G10 does not allow to change the colour space so I guess it's sRGB all the way.
    Lots to learn.

Thanks for your help

Mick

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah you can go from 8 bit to 16 bit, but you are creating 'false' data, it is built using the software to fill in the gaps.

sRGB is not a bad colourspace in anyway, it produces nice vibrant colours, and the internet is built on it. You could say it is the Standard! There are bigger colourspaces, but also there are few other things to consider. Most monitors are sRGB, so unless you get a wide gamut monitor (lots of $$$) that is built for AdobeRGB, you can't see some of the AdobeRGB colours anyway. Most printers work in the sRGB space as well, as do most laboratories.

AdobeRGB is probably going to come into its own in the next few years as wide gamut monitors drop in price, and thus become more prolific etc. But for now sRGB is a lot more than adequate.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Rick said, just converting from sRGB to AdobeRGB won't bring do any good (even worth: it will degrade color accuracy) but as soon as you start editing you actually may benefit from the larger color space.

From 8 to 16 bit you prolly won't add information, but you won't lose any either. OTOH, the software that converts may actually detect gradients and be able to actually increase accuracy. Again, if you start editing, depending on the things you do you may benefit from the extra color resolution.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I'll just continue working in sRGB for my scanned slides, at either 8 or 16 bit as they have been saved.
    But I am still unsure about RAW files and their colour space, take a look at the attached video link, http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/2...-color-spaces/ isn't this guy saying that we can assign whatever colour space we like to it because it is a RAW file, we can even save it as ProPhoto RGB if we like. Even though we may not be able to print in ProPhoto yet the file will be capable in the future.
    Rick, when you say most DSLR's can shoot in AdobeRGB, (which I'm sure is the case)doesn't that just mean that they are saving JPEG's etc. in Adobe RGB and not the RAW file?

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding this as I want to make sure that I am saving all my RAW files in PSD or whatever in the highest colour space available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that this is a very old thread. But thank you all for explaining the differences between the various colour space options available on one's DSLR and importantly the processing software. I had issues where I would do a small edit in LightRoom and then go Edit>>In Photoshop CC 2014 and wind up with very wishy-washy images because of different colour profile settings. I now have LightRoom and PhotoShop set to ProPhotoRGB and will start saving via "Save for Web", seeing as most of my photos are saved for the internet.

Thanks again. Hopefully, I do not spark another intense debate about Colour Profiles.
    Andrew

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawthy View Post
    I know that this is a very old thread. But thank you all for explaining the differences between the various colour space options available on one's DSLR and importantly the processing software. I had issues where I would do a small edit in LightRoom and then go Edit>>In Photoshop CC 2014 and wind up with very wishy-washy images because of different colour profile settings. I now have LightRoom and PhotoShop set to ProPhotoRGB and will start saving via "Save for Web", seeing as most of my photos are saved for the internet.

Thanks again. Hopefully, I do not spark another intense debate about Colour Profiles.
    Probably the good thing now is that monitors that cover fairly much all of the AdobeRGB space are quite reasonably priced.