User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  188
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

Thread: How to deal with Police when out photographing (& Photographers Rights)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merged your thread Kevin into this one that is about dealing with police
    Last edited by Miaow; 11-12-2009 at 9:25pm.
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He could have been part of a Special Operations Group etc, where personal privacy could be of importance. A police officer is no different to any other member of the public. Some do not want their photos taken and we have to respect that. Consider you were at the same location, taking the same photo, but no police present. A lady approaches you and says she does not want her photo taken, would you react the same as you did with the officer? Maybe the lady was under witness protection or had moved from interstate to hide from an abusive partner.

Sometimes just cause we can take a photo, doesn't mean we should.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    He could have been part of a Special Operations Group etc, where personal privacy could be of importance. A police officer is no different to any other member of the public. Some do not want their photos taken and we have to respect that. Consider you were at the same location, taking the same photo, but no police present. A lady approaches you and says she does not want her photo taken, would you react the same as you did with the officer? Maybe the lady was under witness protection or had moved from interstate to hide from an abusive partner.

Sometimes just cause we can take a photo, doesn't mean we should.
    I always try to make sure people aren't in my landscape images and will always ask the person if they are in my shot to move if they can, try to take the photo without them in it or photoshop them out later.

Sometimes people just need to get over themselves and think that maybe we don't want them in the shot as much as they don't want to be in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ricktas has a point - however, it doesn't justify the police officer threatening unlawful confiscation.

Man, what is it with photography and ignorance by the police?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnBloodbeard View Post
    Man, what is it with photography and ignorance by the police?
    It's not so much the police, but the police reacting to the public. If no-one out there was concerned about us then the police probably wouldn't bother us either. There is so much emphasis placed on the negative aspects of photography (sex, terrorism etc) that people tend to forget about the less alarming aspects.

Same thing happened with shooting firearms - a few massacres and all shooters were made to pay the price. I like to shoot targets, but now I have to comply with all sorts of restrictions that make the sports less appealing.

It's the same with being a male. My wife was a primary school teacher, and if I visited her at school I felt like a child molester and was made to feel uncomfortable simply by being there.

Oh well .... could be worse .... they used to burn people they thought were witches - now they just think they're a bit silly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously guys, the poor old cop doing his job these days has enough hoons, loons and spoons to deal with. Plenty of uniform cops have done undercover work, sensitive case work and copped enough abuse from a largely ungrateful public. Surely they have the right to go about their work without feeling they are under a microscope and being scrutineered 24/7.

Yes they're in a public place in a tax payer funded uniform. It doesn't mean they have to be or feel "Owned".

I'm sure if there's any cops on here, they'll know what i mean. I'm not in that particular line of work, but have spent enough time working in the public with cameras crammed in my face at the scene of carnage, accidents and major incidents to know how and why someone may object to being photographed in those situations.

I for one don't need to come home to my family and try to sit down to a normal domestic situation and have them worried about how i'm feeling after they've just seen the news footage or read the paper etc. It's my time to "normalize" and i actively guard it at all expense. If that means telling the occassional photographer, cameraman or news reporter to flippantly go frantically fondle themselves, then so be it.

Having said that, i've got a background in photojournalism, had my own column in glossy mags and regional newspapers etc. from a while back and understand where a professional Journo is coming from. That's while i smile politely when issueing the aforementioned instructions.

What i don't get is why anyone would want to photograph a crime scene. Want some arty effect.....go buy some tape from a safety shop and do a set-up. The rest of the reasons are nothing short of narcisistic voyeurism "because i can" isn't done because you can.

Bet that raised a few hackles, but seriously folks............think about it. Why would any of us wish to take hold and review a photograph of a crime scene where someone has been robbed/shot/stabbed/raped/killed ? What purpose does it serve and what are the positive aspects of holding that record on your computer or in your album at home?

I'd be interested to hear.

My own view on seeing this type of scene would be, well, it doesn't involve me on a personal or professional or social level, so i'll just move on and maybe mention it in conversation over coffee with a mate......maybe not. I certainly wouldn't feel any need to preserve a copy of it in my home.

Martin

Critique is always welcome as is PP with details.

Canon 7D, 10-22mm, 18-55mm, 70-300mm
    SL 580EX11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sound advice Nick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice topic, HerveyBayShutterBug but I don't think that it has much to do with how to deal with Police when out photographing. Another thread perhaps.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1% of the problem is caused by people in authority (or who think they are in authority) and don't know what they are doing.

99% of the problem is caused by people who should know better and attempting to cover up for the reamining 1%.

It is that last group which is a real problem and only escalate minor issues into major issues.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbax View Post
    An interesting read, not sure if its been linked in before.
    http://www.australiantraveller.com/c...-kakadont-dare
    That's an excellent piece from Ken.

I am a nobody photographer and have recently experienced a similar occurrence in a different situation.

It is a sad reflection on society that people who are trying to par-take in their own pastime which is usually of no consequence to anyone around them is harassed.

I doubt that attitudes will change and things revert to how they were. I feel that many people have become too wrapped up in themselves and their own self-importance for this to return back to what most people would consider the ‘normal’ of the past.

It is said all power corrupts, but it is power when combined with ignorance that is even more dangerous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh so much confusion.

Just wondering though, is it illegal to photgraph police operations in public? I mean we see it in newspapers and such but today i was with another friend taking photos in a street with a house under seige and we were told to stop taking photos by an officer, also one of the neighbours in the street had his video camera removed from him for 'evidence'. Luckily at this point we had decided to put our cameras away. Still, is this right?

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that it is important not to get in the way of police who are working and to follow any directions given. Being a nuisance isn't a particularly welcome position when someone is trying to do a job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting read.

Just some points about the UK the rules are similar to here except photos of certain buildings. There is a list compiled by the police of sensitive building and surrounding areas. This list is not in the public domain due security, they do not want terrorist to know the buildings. We have the regular police and community support officers CSO. CSO cannot arrest you cannot stop you taking any pictures even of sensitive buildings. They must have a regular officer there. The police cannot force you to delete them. They also cannot force you to let them look at the picture you have taken they need a court order first. Even with this they have very tight restrictions as to what they can do and how they can view them. They can stop you taking shots if the area is on the list you are not allowed to see. Although this is the law it does not mean you do not cooperate with them. Show them the pictures and if that satisfies them great if not then follow the law and go with them to the station.

This law is a bit daft IMO as the list contains buildings like the Houses of Parliament also Google Earth has been round. How many people here who have never been to London does not know what the Houses of Parliament looks like or Buckingham Palace.

Attitude the right attitude is vital in dealing with the police anywhere. I was a dispatch rider parked illegally but doing my job. When leaving the building and seeing the police looking at mine and several other bikes I thought ticket time. He asked which was mine, I pointed out which and that I was collecting goods and will be straight of, his reply was great you parked close to the curb and he wished the others would park the same it was a bus lane and 8am. Just before riding of another rider came out and started arguing with the police and he was nicked. This proved a point I always believed argue with the police at your own peril. Also remember they are the same as us doing a job a very difficult often thankless job. Balancing the needs and rights of EVERY member of the public the one complaining about you and of course you. I do not appreciate it when I am told I am doing my job wrong by someone who does not do what I do. Why do we the public think the police will be different. They are first a person like you and I and then the police so deserve respect unless they behave in a way that means they do not deserve that respect.

A motto of mine is bad manners etc are the most expensive commodity you can have in life.
    C&C Welcome edit just let me know what was done
    The day I stop learning is the day I cannot learn

Robert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is sound advice Nick - wish I read this before my last run-in

Cheers for the advice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbax View Post
    An interesting read, not sure if its been linked in before.
    http://www.australiantraveller.com/c...-kakadont-dare
    I just photographed that same lagoon yesterday around 11:30 till 12pm when it opens. I've taken photos there many times before when the pool is busy with a P&S with no troubles. Yesterday was the first time I took a SLR there and the lifeguard did go out of his way to see what I was doing but he didn't say anything. I guess if I had been with the SLR when it was busy it would have been a different story. It's the same with the Gold Coast, people seem fine with me taking photos with a P&S while I walk along the beach. I haven't taken a SLR to the Gold Coast yet.

I am only 18 so maybe me being young makes a difference?
    CC greatly appreciated
    My Flickr
    Canon 500D, EF-S 10-22mm EF-S 18-55mm IS, EF-S 55-250mm IS, 50mm f/1.8 II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they are just a bit bored and think 'oh no this person is here for a purpose other than swimming, better investigate'. I want to bring a sextant to the beach just to see peoples reactions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse24 View Post
    I just photographed that same lagoon yesterday around 11:30 till 12pm when it opens. I've taken photos there many times before when the pool is busy with a P&S with no troubles. Yesterday was the first time I took a SLR there and the lifeguard did go out of his way to see what I was doing but he didn't say anything. I guess if I had been with the SLR when it was busy it would have been a different story. It's the same with the Gold Coast, people seem fine with me taking photos with a P&S while I walk along the beach. I haven't taken a SLR to the Gold Coast yet.

I am only 18 so maybe me being young makes a difference?
    There is a council red tape bs you need a permit to photograph on the esplanade/lagoon area $150.00 per half day absolutely crazy I know
    Photoshop CS4 and lightroom 2 (lI know a little bit but am learning )
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated
    Feel free to re work my images, just please let me know what you did, and how you did it so I can learn
    Stu .
    my website
    my gallery

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Just wondering though, is it illegal to photgraph police operations in public?<snip>
    No. But as soon as you are asked to stop or move on and you don't another law kicks in "Failure to follow a lawful order".

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by para View Post
    There is a council red tape bs you need a permit to photograph on the esplanade/lagoon area $150.00 per half day absolutely crazy I know
    There is no permit or fee for photography on the Gold Coast.

The only licencing is in relation to film and TV production. This is also free if your business is registered within the Gold Coast area, otherwise it is $330 per day for 1 to 7 days.

Go to Gold Coast City Council for more information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    There is no permit or fee for photography on the Gold Coast.

The only licencing is in relation to film and TV production. This is also free if your business is registered within the Gold Coast area, otherwise it is $330 per day for 1 to 7 days.

Go to Gold Coast City Council for more information.
    I was referring to cairns lagoon

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast