User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  188
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

Thread: How to deal with Police when out photographing (& Photographers Rights)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good thread NickMonk and some useful pointers to remember ... off topic you may have even taken a step in restoring my belief that the police are human!!! as an ex-emergency nurse having worked in England have a very jaded view of the police ... point to remember Jacs, Aussie police could be human and treat them as such!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Nick it helps to know where you stand when in public
    Yashica M107, Canon 1000D , Manfrotto tripod , Mimosa tripod , Lowpro bag to stuff it all in.
    And a Yashica/Canon conversion ring so I can stick me old lens on me Canon cause I'm a tightwad

Ausphotography Regular Jeanette's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know many police and most are just lovely ( my brother being one of them )
    and if a complaint they have to ask .. i understand .. but if i were approached I would most likely freak out .. or i would not have been taking photos of places or people that i thought i could have..
    but knowing my rights more now I feel more comfortable ... for sure ...

I was in Melbourne many years ago with my daughter and my niece aged about 10 and 11
    they were having a great time in the water fountain on the river that shoots up from the ground.. I had a lovely photographer approach me and ask if they could take some photos and happy to send me copies... i gave my postal address thinking ohyeah right ... but understood why she wanted to take photos of the lovely girls laughing soooo much .. ONLY wishing i had such a camera at the time...
    the Photographer was happy and several weeks late I had photos of the girls in the post .. not a few but about 20 of them ..... Thank you to who ever that person was.... i never did get their name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote:
    Iknow many police and most are just lovely ( my brother being one of them )
    and if a complaint they have to ask .. i understand .. but if i were approached I would most likely freak out .. or i would not have been taking photos of places or people that i thought i could have..
    but knowing my rights more now I feel more comfortable ... for sure ...

I was in Melbourne many years ago with my daughter and my niece aged about 10 and 11
    they were having a great time in the water fountain on the river that shoots up from the ground.. I had a lovely photographer approach me and ask if they could take some photos and happy to send me copies... i gave my postal address thinking ohyeah right ... but understood why she wanted to take photos of the lovely girls laughing soooo much .. ONLY wishing i had such a camera at the time...
    the Photographer was happy and several weeks late I had photos of the girls in the post .. not a few but about 20 of them ..... Thank you to who ever that person was.... i never did get their name

The correct way to go promotionally & professionally in most situations. Good PR too if one hands out a card or 2. If the above steps are taken the police- unless one was photographing them at work-& ugly parents would never become involved.
    Last edited by Tony B; 16-03-2010 at 10:20am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was taking pictures of discarded furniture under a building today... It was outside and in a public place although, i did have to go under the building to snap the shots and the men from this pizza place came down and told me that i couldn't take pictures of the place and that i needed to ask for permission. Is that true?
    Anyway, i just apologized and went my merry way.

Nikon D700 in all it's glory!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallfooties View Post
    I was taking pictures of discarded furniture under a building today... It was outside and in a public place although, i did have to go under the building to snap the shots and the men from this pizza place came down and told me that i couldn't take pictures of the place and that i needed to ask for permission. Is that true?
    Anyway, i just apologized and went my merry way.
    Only if you were on their property.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now here's a turnup.

Whilst out shooting the arrival of the new RAAF Super Hornet this afternoon in a local park a close by resident called the police. Apparently his house was burgled two days ago and he saw me hanging around with the D700 and 70-200 lens (not really small) and thought I was setting him up again. He didn't approach me or indicate his concern and at my age I don't think I'm a threat. Mind you, I had a company T shirt on with lots of detail including my mobile phone number.
    When the police arrived they told him it was a public park, that I could take photos whenever I needed and to stop being paranoid. In anger he retorted that he had caught me on his outdoor security camera which he had just installed. The police promptly acquired his security camera and recorder to help with their enquiries and advised him it would be returned when the matter was settled.
    I guess the moral to this story is to ask questions first (when there is obviously no risk and plenty of information) rather than going off half-cocked. The irony is that I live in the street behind him and have seen him regularly at the shops. Maybe we should get to know our neighbours better?
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hold your sides when you laugh. I hear it helps. (Doesn't sound as if much else does.) And I can't wait for Part 2. Am.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that's definitely a breath of fresh air in Photographer/Police relations
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see no evidence of Super Hornet photography!
    Guilty as charged
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt about some of them...total rat-bags
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    Whilst out shooting the arrival of the new RAAF Super Hornet this afternoon in a local park a close by resident called the police.<snip>
    The underlying problem is the guy that made the report.
    These turkeys end up lobbying pollies and next you know we lose our rights.

PS I merged the thread

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    In anger he retorted that he had caught me on his outdoor security camera which he had just installed. The police promptly acquired his security camera and recorder to help with their enquiries and advised him it would be returned when the matter was settled.
    That's funny. Maybe they will lose the evidence - you know it does happen from time to time.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys, first post here for me, I was serving in the RAF for 18 years in the UK, whilst stationed in Germany in 1987 we were trialing some new equipment, a PAAG (Portable Aircraft Arrestor Gear) it was not on the secret list, being a keen amatuer photographer and a member of the RAF Photographic club, I had a permanent pass that allowed me to take certain military photos including photos on the airfield, I took photographs of the aircraft engaging the cable at the point of impact, this was a challenging shot with a Once only chance.

Then my Flight Sergeant saw me taking photos and grabbed me and started the procedure of charging me for what ever he could. He demanded my camera, I rewound & removed the film and gave it to him, he was unhappy with this but agreed. As i appeared in front of the boss I explained I had the various passes etc, the F/S was adamant that the charge be progressed, I remembered seeing a group of Pilots and navigators on the other side of the runway and of course being a Corporal at the time, I did not know the officers but due to the fact there was one about 6'10" and next to him a very short guy with red hair also taking pictures, they were readily identified, i figured they would not have passes / authority, they had just wandered across from the flight crew room for a look. I used the fact that they were also there taking pictures 'illegally' as the F/S put it. My understanding boss had a quiet word with him and the matter was dropped.

This is just an example of people's attitudes. I could Never say their was a personality clash between myself and my F/S but other Flight Sergeants would & have handled similar matters in an entirely different way. I was promoted to Sergeant shortly after.

Kind regards, Nick
    Last edited by Cabrioletman; 01-04-2010 at 10:28am. Reason: forgot signature

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabrioletman View Post
    Hi Guys, first post here for me, I was serving in the RAF for 18 years in the UK, whilst stationed in Germany <snip>
    G'Day and welcome. Please post a formal Intro; and we'd love to see some of the photos!
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Nick for the info. It's not only photographers that get odd look of angst from the public. My late father in law who had just lost his wife of 50 years and feeling a little down, asked some kids (around 8 years old if they were catching any fish (he was walking on a jetty). A mother of on of the kids, who was a few metres away, instantly fronted him and called him a dirty old man. My Dad in law told us it was the most humiliating thing he had ever endured. Shows how people can jump to the wrong conclusion.
    Greg

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not trying to be sexist, but my gut feeling is that 95% of amateur photographers are male. I rarely see females with DSLRs on outings.

This is a very useful guide. If only they would publish some legislation online for Victorian citizens akin to the page for photographers in NSW.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danylu View Post
    Not trying to be sexist, but my gut feeling is that 95% of amateur photographers are male. I rarely see females with DSLRs on outings.

This is a very useful guide. If only they would publish some legislation online for Victorian citizens akin to the page for photographers in NSW.
    Not sexist if its just statistical fact. We have more male forums members as well.
    The POTY 2009 was won by Lani; and 2008 by Colin so generally skills are equal.

The Arts law Centre guide is national.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Not sexist if its just statistical fact. We have more male forums members as well.
    The POTY 2009 was won by Lani; and 2008 by Colin so generally skills are equal.

The Arts law Centre guide is national.
    Thanks for giving me those key words! Originally I only knew about this site regarding NSW (http://www.4020.net/words/photorights.php) but now I know about this site as well (http://www.artslaw.com.au/legalinfor...hersRights.asp)

Greatly appreciate it

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's great to see that people are still contributing to the thread, and thanks for the thanks! You'll be pleased to know that I have (several times now) corrected some police colleagues about their misconceptions regarding photographers and their rights. I'm not saying they would go out and unlawfully arrest people, but plenty do have a '2010 general public perception' about photographers. In general they were very receptive to what I had to say. Maybe I should put together a national training package on this LOL!

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast