Quote Originally Posted by NikonNellie View Post
Thanks Nick - very informative.
As a newbie photographer I still haven't got the hang of going out in a public place and setting up my tripod and taking shots.
I have only done it three times since I bought my camera:
The first time I had to go to a local shopping centre at night for a homework assignment for a photography course I attended - that felt really wierd.
The second time was a couple of nights after New Year's Eve - I went down to Kirribilli for some Harbour shots. That felt OK because I would have been the odd one out if I didn't have a camera.
The third time was the other day when my hubby and I went to Freshwater Beach - the other half took a swim while I took some shots. I received a lot of looks as if to say "what do you think your'e doing" but luckily nobody challenged me.

Anyway, your thread has helped me understand my legal rights a bit better and hopefully I won't feel so guilty about practicing my new hobby next time I decide to do a field trip.
I am lucky I guess that I have the confidence to go anywhere at any time and shoot without worry about offending people, breaking the law or getting mugged (although I may actually do this ). It sort of comes with carrying around a nice shiny badge.

Doing lots of night photography with a friend or two will soon make you feel more comfortable. If you are in a busy place, yes, everyone looks at you.