User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  188
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 LastLast

Thread: How to deal with Police when out photographing (& Photographers Rights)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems strange to keep commenting on a post made over 3 years ago, but as a new user of a camera (I'd hardly call myself a photographer yet), I must say that this has concerned me a little, and also has driven my attitude of NOT taking my camera out a lot to events, or even just shopping trips to the city...

I really want to take some photos of some of the great Melbourne architecture, but man if "they" don't make me feel "dirty" by doing so...

Thanks again for the topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't over-react, taking touristy pics like you describe is perfectly normal behaviour and you would not even be looked at twice.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sydney Northern Beaches Photographers - BE AWARE

The Manly Daily, Friday January 11, 2013 Article on Page 9.

" Man charged over beach photos "

Here we go again, some "DROPKICK" has been taking naughty shots of kids and now the mums and dads will be on the look-out and be very suspicious of any Photog carrying a camera with a large professional looking lens. If your shooting near the Northern Beaches area be very obvious about what you are shooting and be prepared to show anyone your shots if necessary.

Following is a quote of the article from Page 9.

Warriewood

Man charged over beach photos

A MAN has been charged with child protection offenses after he allegedly photographed children at Warriewood Beach on Saturday, January 5.
    About 2pm a woman told a council lifeguard she was concerned a man was taking photos of children. Northern Beaches crime manager Insp Craig Wonders said the lifeguard approached the man, who was sitting in a car, and asked to see his camera. Police were called after the man refused and then left the area. Insp Wonders said detectives executed a search warrant on a house at Rydalmere on Tuesday and arrested a 55-year-old man. They seized computer equipment, hard drives and storage devices. The man will appear before Parramatta Local Court on February 27.

If the man is guilty I hope he gets a heavy sentence. Equally, if he is found to be innocent it would be nice to see the Manly Daily report the fact. (I don't think that would happen so the damage is done.)
    Cheers
    Darey

Nikon user, Thick skinned and wanting to improve, genuine C & C welcomed.

Photographs don't lie ! - Anonymous Liar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    saved me starting a thread about this. Last weekend, at the beach I taking shots of surfers, and swimmers etc. I later thought of the legality, and wether my activity could be seen as deviant. My wife was with me taking shots, so I guess that helped legitimise my purpose for taking photos. But I would like to shots in shopping centres, some urban stuff, and am concerned that people may not be as tolerant in a less casual/carefree surrounding (compared to the beach).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by extraball View Post
    saved me starting a thread about this. Last weekend, at the beach I taking shots of surfers, and swimmers etc. I later thought of the legality, and wether my activity could be seen as deviant. My wife was with me taking shots, so I guess that helped legitimise my purpose for taking photos. But I would like to shots in shopping centres, some urban stuff, and am concerned that people may not be as tolerant in a less casual/carefree surrounding (compared to the beach).
    Shopping Centres are private property and thus a different set of legalities apply. Shooting in public means taking photos when you are on public land (streets, roads,footpaths, beaches etc. But be aware that some footpaths and open spaces are on privately owned land as well. When taking photos on private property, it is best to try and seek out the property owners permission first.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Shopping Centres are private property and thus a different set of legalities apply. Shooting in public means taking photos when you are on public land (streets, roads,footpaths, beaches etc. But be aware that some footpaths and open spaces are on privately owned land as well. When taking photos on private property, it is best to try and seek out the property owners permission first.
    thanks for the that. One question, when we publish a photo (net or print media) with members of the public as subject matter, are we leaving ourselves open to legality issues? I have read that we can seek written permission from indiviuals on the spot, but this wouldnt be practicable for crowd scenes.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks for the that. One question, when we publish a photo (net or print media) with members of the public as subject matter, are we leaving ourselves open to legality issues? I have read that we can seek written permission from indiviuals on the spot, but this wouldnt be practicable for crowd scenes.
    No, unless you use the photo for commercial gain, IE you sell the photo to Coca-Cola and then they use the photo with a big Coke bottle next to the person's image. By doing this, it is implied that the person in the photo endorses Coke, which they may not. They can sue!

So that is when you require a model-release.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always a problem ... there are so many candid shots out there just dying to be taken - but you can't risk it in case you get labeled a pervert! I too take my wife along sometimes to "legitimise" my perverted photography. I'd actually like a booth in a shopping centre with one way glass, and just sit there taking photos. I just love the candid shots I see all the time but can't take.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    I'd actually like a booth in a shopping centre with one way glass, and just sit there taking photos. I just love the candid shots I see all the time but can't take.
    You can capture those images; the only thing holding back legitimate photographers from practicing their craft is fear and paranoia.

The worst thing photographers can do is walk around on egg shells as though we're up to something we shouldn't be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    You can capture those images; the only thing holding back legitimate photographers from practicing their craft is fear and paranoia.

The worst thing photographers can do is walk around on egg shells as though we're up to something we shouldn't be.
    plus it's a shame that these candid/urban shots will not be recorded, so much history lost.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah ... all good in theory, but in practice it's often not so easy. Odd when you consider how many times our photos are taken each time we go out with so many security cameras snapping away at us!

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can capture those images; the only thing holding back legitimate photographers from practising their craft is fear and paranoia.
    NOT in a supermarket, shopping centre or other private property. Which is what Bob was saying.
    In the public in general go for it.
    Some councils have restrictions (eg. Waverley in Sydney)

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    NOT in a supermarket, shopping centre or other private property. Which is what Bob was saying.
    Understood; my comment was more about photographers in public places.

Even there, people unfortunately act like they're doing something naughty, which is a shame.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I go on the beach with the long (and highly visible) lens to shoot surfers I make sure my wife is close..... I haven't had a problem yet but expect some idiot may start causing trouble and calling me a pervert... I wonder if a proper reply to that would be: "Please give me your name and address because I want to sue you now for defamation....". Depends on his size...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    an interesting threat, and thanks Nick for posting your thoughts on the matter
    Steve

Equipment: A couple of Canons with some lenses and a heap of enthusiasm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez, making statements on a public forum about taking photos of (half naked) surfers and then identifying the beach, all your own personal details including a photograph, identifying your gear down to the last detail (except serial number) and threatening to prosecute anyone that gets in your way is sure to attract the attention of authorities. Possibly at the head of the list already just waiting for something to happen. Point of view is fine but it's not wise to threaten others that have rights identical to your own. Always wise to ask or negotiate and if the answer is no, go somewhere else.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info
    Graeme

Nikon D90,Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Nikon 18-105 f3.5-5.6VR, Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6Di VC,Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX, Benro A2692TB1S tripod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is useful for the legal side and common courtesy also goes a long way,
    treat others as you would have them treat you at least

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is interesting that I saw this thread opened again today as my partner and I actually went to the beach today. He is quite ill and uses home and portable oxygen 24/7. He also uses a mobility scooter and decided to go to the end of the pier by himself to check if people were catching anything. When he returned he said he had taken some photos of some young girls and immediately my reaction was he needed to be careful taking photos of young girls due to him being a male.

It turned out the girls were taking photos of each other with their own camera and asked him to take one of them together. I feel sad that my reaction, before I knew the situation, was to immediately think that his taking a photo could be considered negatively (which it probably would have if it had been his camera) when in reality he was simply doing the girls a favour.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    It is interesting that I saw this thread opened again today as my partner and I actually went to the beach today. He is quite ill and uses home and portable oxygen 24/7. He also uses a mobility scooter and decided to go to the end of the pier by himself to check if people were catching anything. When he returned he said he had taken some photos of some young girls and immediately my reaction was he needed to be careful taking photos of young girls due to him being a male.

It turned out the girls were taking photos of each other with their own camera and asked him to take one of them together. I feel sad that my reaction, before I knew the situation, was to immediately think that his taking a photo could be considered negatively (which it probably would have if it had been his camera) when in reality he was simply doing the girls a favour.
    I think it's a sad indication of a sick portion of society and our reaction to it rather than anything wrong. I don't think its necessarily new in society, I think we just have more visibility of it where in the past, someone would have got away with it and no one would have known.

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 LastLast