Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  27

Thread: Landscapes and blood pressure

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Landscapes and blood pressure

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    It is really nice that the landscape doesn't just take off and fly to somewhere else, because that would just plain pi... annoy me.
    The bit that gets me with landscapes is that the days where you get really nice light are the days when you have fluffy white clouds scooting about, The really good light days tend to have little squalls and showers to clear the air and provide that magical just-after-rain sunlight.

But you have to be quick! On a good-light-day I find landscaping more challenging, stressful and exciting than bird photography. I'm not kidding: long practice means that I can set up for pretty much any bird photograph in a few moments. Usually, I have anticipated the lens choice and exposure settings I'm going to need and have to make only the simplest adjustments before shooting. Then it's simply a matter of finding a bird in a suitable spot and putting it somewhere in the frame. Given a bird in a particular spot, there is generally only one best way to expose and frame the shot, and that way is obvious. You don't have to think about it, you just have to do it. (Yes, sure, the execution can be complex and tricky, but at least you know what you have to do.)

But there are so many variables when you landscape! Even if you don't have to think about the shot (and mostly you do), by the time you spot a photo opportunity, jump out of the car, sprint to where you want to be, set up the tripod (or even decide where to stand hand-holding), frame and expose .... the damn light has changed! Arrrargh!!!

So you wait, look over your shoulder, decide that the good light isn't coming back anytime soon, do the best you can with the light you've got (probably not very good), and move on.

Five minutes later, you are half a mile down the road and the light turns magic again ... but now there isn't a scene in front of you. So you carry on ... and on .. wasting all that magic light until you get to another good spot ... leap out in panic, rush to set up ... Damn! Light's gone.

On a windy day with a fair bit of scudding cloud and sunny breaks, you can lose the light in the time it takes to stop the car and open the door.

Fair dinkum, landscape photography is bad for my blood pressure.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, all sounds about right. Landscape photography in Tasmania was particularly testing for me. It seemed every waterfall I visited was bathed in sunlight when I wanted overcast, and every spot in the coast I visited, where I wanted sunlight, was covered by cloud.

I remember being perched on rocks at the bottom of a waterfall, I think just south of Burnie somewhere, with spray blowing around everywhere and sunlight all over the place and it all culminated and I sat down with myself and asked how I’d tell the story of my trip to Tassie... was I actually having fun, lol? I was so frustrated at that moment, but I guess that’s photography for you... you take the good with the bad and just hope the good is worth it.

And for the record, I loved my trip to Tassie and have countless fond memories, and good photos, but they didn’t come without some heavy frustration.

can't remember
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My several trips to Tasmania have all been exactly like that, Geoff. I firmly believe that Tasmania is the World Capital of Rapidly Changing Lighting.

PS: Tasmania is small. You can get from any given waterfall to the coast in about twenty minutes. Unfortunately, the light changes, on average, every 20 seconds.
    Last edited by Tannin; 03-10-2018 at 10:11am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience has been:

The good days for landscapes are the days I have a day full of meetings and can't excuse myself;
    The bad days for landscapes are the days I've cleared my schedule and taken a day off because the weather forecast said it was going to be perfect weather, and
    The really good days for landscapes, or any other type of photography for that matter, are the days when I have great weather, a perfect composition, and I left my camera at home.

Just once in a while everything comes together.....
    Pentax K3, K100D Super, Sigma 18-50, Takamur-A 28-80, Pentax DA 50-200, Sicor 80-200, Tamron 2X teleconverter

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Introducing...

Vapourware's F-Stop Blood Pressure Pills for Landscapists

When you're out and the changing light is getting to your head...
    When you're at home with a broken camera and the weather is great...
    When your photographic mood changes with the speed of the light changes...
    When you've forgotten to look behind you...
    When you've forgotten to change back from 6400ISO on a sunny day...
    When you've forgotten your camera and the scenery's great AND you've forgotten to use you phone cam...

For these and many other afflictions that stop particularly landscape photographers in their tracks, a simple dose
    of these marvellous F-Stop pills has been known to work wonders. They are made of specially selected, vile-tasting
    ingredients and a single pill is guaranteed to make you puke and forget all about your bad photography day.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Introducing...

Vapourware's F-Stop Blood Pressure Pills for Landscapists

For these and many other afflictions that stop particularly landscape photographers in their tracks, a simple dose
    of these marvellous F-Stop pills has been known to work wonders. They are made of specially selected, vile-tasting
    ingredients and a single pill is guaranteed to make you puke and forget all about your bad photography day.
    Heh... You'll make a fortune on Kickstarter!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liney you nailed it.
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    My several trips to Tasmania have all been exactly like that, Geoff. I firmly believe that Tasmania is the World Capital of Rapidly Changing Lighting.

PS: Tasmania is small. You can get from any given waterfall to the coast in about twenty minutes. Unfortunately, the light changes, on average, every 20 seconds.
    You know us Tasmanians (or is that Taswegians?) ensure the weather is like that so all you mainlanders get frustrated and go home.

PS, we have a saying here 'Jacket on..Jacket off'. Today was one of those days, its been sunny, raining, windy, warm, cold, and calm.. and each of these in every hour. I left work at 5pm in the sun, on the 15 minute drive home, it rained. Got home and it was sunny, so considered taking the dogs for a walk. Looked at the mountain (Mt Wellington/Kunanyi), saw the next squall on it's way, so decided the dogs will have to chillax on the couch tonight, and good thing, because its raining again now. But as I look down over the city of Hobart.. there is sun in the city and on the eastern shore of the Derwent. Living a few hundred metres up the side of this 1271m high mountain certainly provides climatic (should that be climactic?) variety.

But we Taswegians are an odd bunch. We go out in -15 degrees to take photos of snow.

IMG_03102018_175142_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    Last edited by ricktas; 03-10-2018 at 6:53pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

can't remember
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, look at it this way. You'd have to be really odd to go out to take pictures of snow when it's 38 degrees.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know us Tasmanians (or is that Taswegians?) ensure the weather is like that so all you mainlanders get frustrated and go home.

PS, we have a saying here 'Jacket on..Jacket off'. Today was one of those days, its been sunny, raining, windy, warm, cold, and calm.. and each of these in every hour. I left work at 5pm in the sun, on the 15 minute drive home, it rained. Got home and it was sunny, so considered taking the dogs for a walk. Looked at the mountain (Mt Wellington/Kunanyi), saw the next squall on it's way, so decided the dogs will have to chillax on the couch tonight, and good thing, because its raining again now. But as I look down over the city of Hobart.. there is sun in the city and on the eastern shore of the Derwent. Living a few hundred metres up the side of this 1271m high mountain certainly provides climatic (should that be climactic?) variety.

But we Taswegians are an odd bunch. We go out in -15 degrees to take photos of snow.

IMG_03102018_175142_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    Your pups don’t look overly impressed with your decision not to take them for a stroll.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    Your pups don’t look overly impressed with your decision not to take them for a stroll.
    Not at all They love their evening walk. We usually do 6-8kms. So when the weather doesn't allow they do tend to be a bit unimpressed with the situation. Labradors loving water, they cannot understand why a little rain should stop them enjoying themselves... for them it mean puddles to splash in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weather in Tasmania is great really. I get the whole layers thing and I really appreciate that while the weather can be bad at times, it is so changeable that you can get a crack at getting out and enjoying the outdoors in the afternoon when the day looked lost in the morning. Queensland, on the other hand, locks in weather for weeks at a time. You might get weeks, nay months, of beautiful fine weather. Equally, you can get weeks of wet weather without a break.

Spring thunderstorms are an exception to the rule. Perfect in the morning - trashed in the afternoon.
    Andrew

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hubby and I loved our trip to Tassie in May. Reminds me that I must post a few pix to share with you all. Got a few days off work next week so will do. Had a chuckle about the landscape FStop pill lol. Yes lack of lighting was a big problem for us especially since I wanted to get some good shots of the coloured rocks at the Bay of Fires. Took some ok ones. Will share when I have time next week
    Cheers, Ann

60D, Canon 18-200mm, Canon Fisheye, Canon Macro, Canon 50mm prime, Tripod. Photoshop Elements, Picasa.

www.travellerspoint.com/users/aussirose www.flickr.com/aussirose

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liney did hit the nail on the head. Even more frustrating is being someone who enjoys landscape photography and lives in Gladstone where attractive landscapes are non-existent and seascapes with no surf and boring rocks aren't much better. And, there's not much worse than rising at some ridiculous hour to catch the dawn and finding low cloud on the horizon.

Your poor labs Ricktas, they certainly look down in the mouth. My dogs could never understand why we didn't walk in rain either - it certainly wouldn't worry them.
    Glenda

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well Tony, for your health's sake, you should stick with taking photos of birds in their landscape.