Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this what I need ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this what I need ??

just got my remote triggers today ... seems I need another adapter plug to connect the hotshoe adapter cable to the PC input on the receiver ..

Is this .. http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod5311.htm

what i need for this ... ??

Last edited by bigdazzler; 23-02-2009 at 7:23pm.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what you're chasing is a PC to PC cable?

You may not even need it at all? I know the only reason I needed mine was because when clamped in properly it wouldn't trigger for some reason.

Why are you using the cable at all?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My gear is Sony so i need adapters for everything .. the hotshoe dont fit anything straight outta the box

so these are my bits ..
    1. The transmitter attaches to the hotshoe adapter that attaches to the camera. Do I need to connect the jack on the transmitter to the jack on the hotshoe adapter ?? (jacks shown in pic) or should it work just from the hotshoe contacts ??

2. The flash hotshoe adapter comes with the cord attached. You cant remove it. The flash mounts to the hotshoe end of the cable. The bottom of the hotshoe adapter then slides onto the top of the receiver. Do I need to connect the cable end of the adapter to the jack on the receiver ?? As you can see the Sony flash doesnt not connect straight to the receiver, the adapter cable needs to be used between the two.

hope all that makes sense .. im confused as to why i might need cables when all the connection are made with the hotshoe adapters at each end

does any of this make sense ??
    Last edited by bigdazzler; 23-02-2009 at 8:23pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there an electronic connection between the 'hot shoe' and the receiver? If not, then maybe the 'hot shoe' wants you to push the end of its cable into the receiver.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
    Is there an electronic connection between the 'hot shoe' and the receiver? If not, then maybe the 'hot shoe' wants you to push the end of its cable into the receiver.
    thats what i was trying to work out in the original post bunyip that link is for a female plug to PC sync, which is what I think I might need at the flash end if there isnt a electronic connection there ..

theres what looks to be a small male contact point on the base of the hotshoe and a female equivalent on the top of the receiver and they seem to align when they are attached .. so im not really sure if this is an electronic connection or not ??

heres a pic of what i mean ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. It looks like it should work straight up if you plug the one from the top left onto your hot shoe, and the one from the bottom right into your flash without any of the cables.

Is there a test button on it? There should be I hope, if you press the test button does the receivers light flash?

If you have the sender unit on your cameras hotshoe, does it's red light flash to show that it's being triggered?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd wager that the adapter 'hot shoe' doesn't make an electronic contact with the receiver. In fact, it looks like the hot shoe wants to be connected to a PocketWizard, which has the female counterpart to the male mini-plug you've got there.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think so too Bunyip... but now I need to figure out if the adapter from the link in the original post is what I need to connect that cable to the receiver .. ???

EDIT: After a bit of googling it seems most adapters that are available are male miniphone to female PC ... I need the opposite I think, female miniphone to male PC , which I cant find anywhere

might have to bite the bullet and buy some skyports or PWs ...
    Last edited by bigdazzler; 24-02-2009 at 10:00am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still dont get why you need the jack at all.

Dont you just

a) put transmiterr on camera hotshoe, and

b) put flash on receiver hotshoe

?
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They have 'channels'. have you set the transmitter and the receivers to the same channel?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I still dont get why you need the jack at all.

Dont you just

a) put transmiterr on camera hotshoe, and

b) put flash on receiver hotshoe

?
    well yea you would think so wouldnt you ?? I know I did ..

a) in my case (Sonys case), the transmitter does not fit directly onto the camera without the adapter (right side , pic 1) The adapter then fits onto the camera with the transmitter mounted to it.

b) Again, the flash does not fit onto the receiver without the adapter (the one with the cable built in, pic 2) The flash slides into the top of the adapter and the bottom of the adapter then fits onto the hotshoe of the receiver.

I am not quite sure whether the adapter at the flash end is creating an electronic connection between the flash and the receiver. There seems to be a male contact point on the bottom of the adapter and a female equivalent in the top of the receivers hotshoe, but im not sure if its actually creating a connection ?? (see pic 5 above)

Now in the case that it isnt, im assuming that the cable needs to be attached to the jack of the receiver to create the connection, ( whyelse is the cable even there ?? ) and heres where I may need the appropriate adapter to connect the male miniplug to the female PC sync jack ... (pic 1)

RICK: The transmitter and receiver both have 2 channel switches ( Channels 1 & 2 obviously ), the transmitter also has a test button on the top which when you push it , the red LED light flashes. The receiver has an ON/OFF switch, but ive just now noticed that even with brand new batteries, the reciever wont switch on ie. the red power light wont light up even when the switch is in the ON position ?? now on top of the connection drama, it seems the receiver is just flat out not powering up .. Im confused
    Last edited by bigdazzler; 24-02-2009 at 12:11pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ah- at least you have seemed to isolate the problem..now to solve it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    change to Nikon ? lol

Seriously, maybe time to call for help on the Sony forums (i'm assuming there is one)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    RICK: The transmitter and receiver both have 2 channel switches ( Channels 1 & 2 obviously ), the transmitter also has a test button on the top which when you push it , the red LED light flashes. The receiver has an ON/OFF switch, but ive just now noticed that even with brand new batteries, the reciever wont switch on ie. the red power light wont light up even when the switch is in the ON position ?? now on top of the connection drama, it seems the receiver is just flat out not powering up .. Im confused
    Now I'm getting confused. The red light should not be permanently on if it's anything like the others I have played with.

The red light only appears for a brief moment when the signal has been received/sent. I.e. you press the test button, red light on transmitter lights up for a second, and if it's all working - the receivers red light will also briefly light up.

May sound silly, but make sure you're not getting the channel buttons confused with being an on/off switch. I believe they say

1------2
    ON---ON

Or something along those lines, which basically allows for 4 channels from memory.

The first thing you want to do is get the transmitter and the receiver lights working. Until you do that there's no point connecting your flash.

Make sure the channels on the transmitter and the receiever are exactly the same, Push them both up on both devices for example.

Sorry if I'm off track, but that's how it works with the ones I have and I can't imagine they'd be too different.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick addition to this thread, Bax is correct, the little red lights only flick on and off on both the receiver and transmitter when either the "test button" is pressed or the transmitter is fired through the hot shoe.

I have 2 transmitters and 2 receivers, but only for use on monoblocs and both operate the same way. I have just finished using them and thought I would include a couple of shots showing the switch configuration I use. Darren, if you have the channels set the same and then press the test button both red lights should flash on and off quickly, if the receiver isn't doing that then it only leaves a few options,

#1 It isn't switched on.
    #2 The batteries are in the wrong way round.
    #3 It is faulty.

I hope it something simple mate, start at the beginning again and track it down.

Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Seriously, maybe time to call for help on the Sony forums (i'm assuming there is one)
    theres quite a few Darren ,, ive posted on Strobist also ,, well see what the flash gurus in there can come up with

Quote Originally Posted by Bax View Post
    Now I'm getting confused. The red light should not be permanently on if it's anything like the others I have played with.

The red light only appears for a brief moment when the signal has been received/sent. I.e. you press the test button, red light on transmitter lights up for a second, and if it's all working - the receivers red light will also briefly light up.

Sorry if I'm off track, but that's how it works with the ones I have and I can't imagine they'd be too different.
    OK well theres something to check, I assumed the red light on the receiver would stay on constantly as long as the power switch was set to ON .. thats something ill check Bax, but from memory I dont remmeber seeing the receivers light flicker at all, even when i fired the test button on the transmitter. The transmitter seems to be working ok, the light is firing.

Ill check the channel switch positions again as well , but im pretty sure they were all where they should have been.

Everything keeps coming back to the receiver getting the signal , and I still think it might be due to the electronic connection (or lack of) and whether or not this miniplug needs to be connected to the receiver .. the more I think about it, I think the adapter at the flash end doesnt create a connection from the flash to the reciever and is there just as a means to mount the two together, I think the cable needs to be connected , otherwise whatelse is it used for and why is it there ?? mmmm ...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Darren, if you have the channels set the same and then press the test button both red lights should flash on and off quickly, if the receiver isn't doing that then it only leaves a few options,

#1 It isn't switched on.
    #2 The batteries are in the wrong way round.
    #3 It is faulty.
    thanks Andrew ,, its definitely a process of elimination from here .. ill have a good play when I get home and work my way though it.

1. Sounds silly but easily done. I check and rechecked this bit and the receiver was definitely on.
    2. Again, checked and rechecked batteries.
    3. Worst case, maybe it is

First of all, ill concentrate on getting a signal from one to the other and then worry about the connection from the flash .. stay tuned
    Last edited by bigdazzler; 24-02-2009 at 1:33pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    Everything keeps coming back to the receiver getting the signal , and I still think it might be due to the electronic connection (or lack of) and whether or not this miniplug needs to be connected to the receiver ..
    correction after rethink .. this obviously is not going to affect whether the signal gets from the transmitter to the receiver ( ie. given its a radio signal ) only the connection from the flash to the receiver, so scrap that comment ..

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok just got home and had a good play around with the camera/triggers .. and established a few things

1. Both the transmitter and receiver seem to both be working as they should be.

The transmitter is mounted onto the hotshoe adapter onto the camera. When I push the TEST button both the red lights on the transmitter and the receiver flash briefly. This tells me that the hotshoe adapter and the transmitter/reciever are working fine and signal is getting from the camera to the receiver, a good start

2. However, although the receiver seems to be getting the signal, the flash wont fire. This tells me that there is no connection between the flash and the receiver or I have the flash settings in camera set wrong. Ive tried all the different flash settings in the flash menu and on the flash itself and it wont fire. Can anyone suggest as to how the flash menu/ flashgun settings should be set in case ive missed something ??

If its not the settings, im back to the original issue, I think the cable needs to be plugged into the receiver to make a connection, because the hotshoe adapter at the flash end doesnt seem to be doing zip other than a way to mount the seperate components together ..

The good news though is the triggers arent faulty...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So when you have the camera set to flash mode and press the shutter, do the lights on the trigger and receiver light up to show a signal was sent/received?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast