User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Not camera related...but PC instead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not camera related...but PC instead

Am having issues again where i fear i hae just gone and lost another 300gig of data. I have an external that i switch on only when i need it and just a few days ago had to clear some space off my main drive so over to the external it went. I lastnight needed to bring something back off that external and wham! up comes that nasty little message that says 'delayed write failure data could not be saved and may have been lost' or along those lines anyways.

Can anyone shed some light as to why this could be happening to me. I lost the data initially but if i turn the drive off and wait a while and turn it back on its all back there again but the same thing just keeps happening. Of the 3 drives this has happened to me in the last 12 months...the 1st 2 were always on...this one has hardly been on so i cant work out whats going on. Have i really lost all that data?
    Kind Regards, Deb

Canon 1000D, 7D, Sigma 100mm Macro, Tamron 17-50mm, 18-55mm, 70 - 300mm, 50mm f1.8, Sigma 10-20mm

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am no pc guru Deb so i hope someone who is can advise you better about the problem but i will offer a thought on backups.

CD / DVD media is very cheap as are the writers, either internal or external. Even if you are confident your external drives are OK burn all your images to CD / DVD at least once before you attempt to archive them elsewhere. That way at least you have a copy that shouldn't fail if any of your drives do.

The cost of a few discs and a burner ( assuming that you have to buy one ) will easily be forgotten compared to paying someone to recover data from crashed hard drives.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not really sure, could be a sign of your HDD going on the blink, I hope not! for you.

But this is MS official response...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    CD / DVD media is very cheap as are the writers, either internal or external. Even if you are confident your external drives are OK burn all your images to CD / DVD at least once before you attempt to archive them elsewhere. That way at least you have a copy that shouldn't fail if any of your drives do.

The cost of a few discs and a burner ( assuming that you have to buy one ) will easily be forgotten compared to paying someone to recover data from crashed hard drives.
    Yup...am going through that process now...damn there is a LOT to do lol. Have tried doing it with the drive while it does stay up but it doesnt stay up long enough to even get half a disc done Guess i'll just say tata to that lot aswell and start all over again

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you airconned? Keep things cool. (<24C)
    A bit late but... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...370#post197370

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes air con'd...very nicely today too i might add! Hope you are keeping cool yourself though Kym is nasty out there today.

I would have thought that what i was doing was backing up my stuff as it was...was the only time i would turn the thing on was to remove it from the main drive on the pc. Just decided to do this to me for what would appear to me as no apparent reason at all. Not the first time it has happened to me though...the only difference is with the other 2 drives they were on 24/7 and still they lasted longer than this one did. I really think i just need a whole new computer...well i want one anyways...maybe then i wont need to go through this anymore with it

Anyways....My camera is back too hot to head out now to get it so i will be off and out first thing in the morning i'm so excited!

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy Photographics View Post
    Anyways....My camera is back too hot to head out now to get it so i will be off and out first thing in the morning i'm so excited!
    Good to see you got fast service. Test it inside first! (Did you try it at CRK?)
    Any problems ... drop around after dinner 7.30-8:00ish - call first coz we have some people over; but I am happy to help if you need it.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you said to do that...i havent been to get it yet...heading off about 830 tomorrow morning to get it (wednesday) will take the lens with me and see how i go.

Tomorrow wont be good for me cause i have the kidlets but thursday might be different...will see how i go might have to work myself. Thanks Kym...always a big help and i do appreciate it thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend that you purchase SpinRite and run it over the troublesome disk. It is the gold standard in disk fault repair, and has restored many a disk with symptoms like yours.