User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Umbrella question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umbrella question

Ok, I bought a strobist kit - I ordered it about 3 weeks ago, and asked the vendor to upgrade the 32" shoot-thru in the kit to a 42" 2in1 (ie shoot-thru/reflective).

About 8 days later, the package finally made it to me, but instead of my 42" 2in1, I'd been sent a 42" shoot-thru. Not happy, but when I rang, they said they'd send me the right brolly right away. 2 days later, a different guy rings me to say they don't have any 42" 2in1s in stock, but he was going to send me a "skin" (ie the removable cover to make a shoot-thru reflective), since it was the same thing anyway. Fair enough.

Aaanyway, the skins arrived today, but I can't work out how to attach them. They've got the same plastic things at the corners that the umbrella arms slot into. However:

(1) I can't take off the shoot-thru, it's stitched onto the arms, and fixed at the tip of the brolly by a metal cap; and
    (2) I can't attach it over the shoot-thru, since the shoot thru's corner "pegs" are already on the umbrella arms.

It seems I can only drape the cover over the shoot-thru without actually attaching it. This, to my mind, is not satisfactory.

Am I missing something here? Or have I been sent the wrong product? After nearly 3 weeks of frigging around (delivery seems to take aaaaages), I'm getting a little sick of not having what I paid for. However, if I'm being technically-challenged, I don't really want to ring the guys who sent the covers and give them an unjustified serve.

Anyone else have experience of these brolly skins/covers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I am not sure why you feel you might need to give an unjustified serve when they responded to the dilemma in a reasonable time frame. I would just ring them and ask how it is done there is probably a simple solution. Then if this is not satisfactory then your options are to ask for a refund I guess or bite the bullet and make it work somehow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it almost sounds like they sent you another brolly skin? i'd take photos and email them asking what you're supposed to do.

if you can't sort it out, i would just stick to using it as a shoot through. you can put a brolly in shoot through position much closer to the subject without getting into the frame. any power loss it well compensated by reduced distance. i don't think bounce back is that efficient if it has to go through the shoot through material, then bounce off the backing, and exit through the shoot through material again.
    Thanks,
    Nam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2-in-1 umbrella. The caps on the skin fit over the metal ends of the shoot-through's spines. Let us know if that works for you.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The umbrella you have is not designed for that skin.
    I'd ask them to get you the right one ASAP and return both brolly + skin.