Thread: In the raw

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the raw

Hi All.
    [Prolog: I have just been given a Sigma DP1 camera. I had read a bit about it before when I was following up on the "Foveon" sensor and thought, "Hmm!!..." I was at the time, fascinated to see that it was referred to as either a 14 MP or a 4.6 MP sensor. Well, I can now say it's a 4.6 MP sensor as far as resolution goes.

BUT, it's a BIG sensor: 20.7mm x 13.8mm, and CMOS and in three layers, one for each of R, G, B, and WITHOUT a Bayer filter in front. Another BUT is that it's only got a fixed fixed lens of f=16mm (f=28mm equivalent). The only few shots I've taken so far have given me "very clean" looking images compared to other P+S cameras, even in jpeg.]

So, I have started using Sigma Photo Pro 2.4 (2008) for raw image processing. I don't know how featured it is as far as other programs (LR, DPP, CS4) go. Below is a screen print of the interface. I have two questions...
    1) Are there any free plug-ins available for Adobe CS2 (not CS4) that will read Sigma's "x3f" files of 2008 and later? (CS2 has the file extension but it cannot parse the files I have.)
    2) Are there any free, more-featured raw processing programs? (Implied: does this one look any good?)
    Thanks, Am.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CC, Image editing OK.

Moderately Super
    Marlo, a small coastal town in the far east of
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judging by the number of views and lack of replies, you might have to do an extensive internet search to find the answers to your questions. Good luck and do please let us know of your results, Am.
    Nikon F65, D50, D200, D700

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have u tried converting the native sigma raw files to Adobe DNG files to be able to open up on the older CS2?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    2) Are there any free, more-featured raw processing programs? (Implied: does this one look any good?)
    Try RawTherapee-2.4.1 for a good, free, standalone RAW processor. It also links to the GIMP for further editing if required. Versions available for both Windows and Linux. It looks to have more features and options than the one you're using and it is LGPL/GPL so free for all normal intents and purposes.

Version 3.0 is now in Alpha but that's probably too far short of a stable release to go with. Stick with 2.4.1 which works and has been fairly bug free.

Hope that helps.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all.
    Debra, I did b4 posting (nix much).
    JMT, I will try that.
    Wazza, thanks for the tip.
    Am.