Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you organize files?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    And so you should be. All our problems in life can be traced back to a nasty librarian in grade 2. Vicious nasty people, the lot of ya
    Yeah getting us all grounded by our parents for not returning our Possum Magic copy!! I mean give a kid a break now and then will ya!!
    Michael.

Camera: Canon EOS 400D w/ Battery Grip (BG-E3)
    Lenses: Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70, Canon 50 f/1.8 & Sigma 70-200
    Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.4 and Photoshop CS3
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrjorge/

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK thanks everyone. I definitely need a KISS solution Will look into lightroom as well (although I hate learning to use new software...I use CS3 maybe I can just add keywords in there, must have a look).

Being only 15 days into the new year, I will start now, and backtrack last years when I have time (prior to that was non-dslr, so not so much a business priority to sort them out.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I have been thinking about re-organising my system also at some stage. I'm not 'unhappy' with the system I have now but thought I might try something different.

So, in case someone can get some use out of it, this is my system which is saved on my external hard drive:

Year
    - Month
    - - 01012009 New Years Day (for eg)
    - - 12012009 Corolla Shoot
    These would contain all the pics downloaded straight off my camera during that day saved in different subject folders.
    Then each of the 'subject' folders would contain folders as follows:
    - - - LR Edits (containing only edits I've done - exported from LR)
    - - - LR Edits Resized (as I use my pics on forums a lot so I always resize any edits I do)
    - - - LR Edits Resized and Framed (just my way of saying its watermarked)

Might all seem a little confusing and messy but it has been working for me, but there could be an easier way, I'm on the look out for something that suits me.

My suggestion to those that have a disorganised system (which I used to), is start afresh, but do NOT try and catalogue your old stuff. I created an entirely separate section for my old stuff, called the directory "Pre Catalog" and moved all my existing photos into it.

Then I started my new cataloging, and only new photos went into it. Now 4 years on, I have a good system that works for me, and I didn't have to stress about the HUGE job of sorting all the old stuff out.

If you try and catalogue 15,000 existing photos you will give up, so don't bother starting, just start from now, with future photos and catalogue those.
    Oh good, so I don't have to go through all the old stuff... Its okay to leave them as they are!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've started using Lightroom 2.2

I basically have this system:

Import and put into date folder
    All unedited photos are coded 'yellow'
    All completed photos are red
    Ones that are good enough to upload are flagged
    Keywords applied to everything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive just switched to mac and have started using Aperture in referenced mode ( meaning files stay where they are in the mac PICTURES directory and Aperture just basically points to them , I dont import them into Aperture database to avoid duplicating files and therefore saving disk space ..

Still very much new to it but I seem to be making progress,

In Aperture my system is this..

Import RAWs straight from camera into Aperture, structure is;

eg. Library > 2009 > Bella studio shoot 18-01-09 (Project)
    > Sydney night shoot 16-01-09 (Project)

Then export adjusted versions to subfolders in the mac PICTURES home folder. Sub folders are;
    > 2009 Images
    > 2009 Bella studio shoot 18-01-09 ( contains RAWs from camera )
    - Edits ( sub folder including all adjusted,cropped,converted versions )
    > 2009 Sydney Night shoot 16-01-09

Im trying to get into the habit of adding keywords and ratings to everything

Long way to go till its totally streamlined but its a start ..
    Last edited by bigdazzler; 19-01-2009 at 8:35am.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found this thread and found it most useful.
    I unintentionally deleted a stack of 'practise' shots i took (before I'd even had a chance to look at them) due to my poor organisation system. So I'm off to sort myself out some new folders and sub folders. Thanks! Then I'll find the time for more practise shots!
    Oh, I'm writing this in case other new people find it useful. is that ok? Are you allowed to 'bump' threads back into daylight???

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwphoto View Post
    I would love to hear how other people organize their personal/business photography files
    I've explained my approach (with an accompanying screen capture) here:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...42&postcount=3

HTH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mwphoto for the great thread and to everyone for ideas. I didnt realise I had a problem until I read everyone elses responce and figured out my system sucks. Even though mine is seperated into years etc somehow I have photos of one of the kids born in 2005 in the 2003 folder. I know im not good at birthdays but didnt realise I was that off. After ricks ideas im not even bothering to sort them, Ill start again.
    CHEERS
    Feel free to edit my photos and let me know how you did it so I can give it a crack. Cheers

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one folder "images" under that I have subfolders, when I transfer the images from the camera I simply rename the flash card folder to year-month-day fromat e.g. 2010-6-10, I then create a subfolder called RAW and seperate the raw images.
    That way I have all my images in chronological order and shooting session and I can usually find anything reasonably quickly by thinking of the rough date that I took the image.

It's not the best way but it works for me.

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well its been a while since this first post, I know have mine in year and month, not perfect by any means but I can now find recent things easily, find a system and get into the habit, simple.....I wish I'd learnt it years ago
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    Ive just switched to mac and have started using Aperture in referenced mode ( meaning files stay where they are in the mac PICTURES directory and Aperture just basically points to them , I dont import them into Aperture database to avoid duplicating files and therefore saving disk space ..

Still very much new to it but I seem to be making progress,

In Aperture my system is this..

Import RAWs straight from camera into Aperture, structure is;

eg. Library > 2009 > Bella studio shoot 18-01-09 (Project)
    > Sydney night shoot 16-01-09 (Project)

Then export adjusted versions to subfolders in the mac PICTURES home folder. Sub folders are;
    > 2009 Images
    > 2009 Bella studio shoot 18-01-09 ( contains RAWs from camera )
    > 2009 Sydney Night shoot 16-01-09

Im trying to get into the habit of adding keywords and ratings to everything

Long way to go till its totally streamlined but its a start ..

wow .. this was a long time ago. My workflow has changed a lot since then. I switched from Aperture to Lightroom. This is how I do things now.

1. Import RAWs from card to a folder called "My Lightroom Images" and duplicates are sent to an External HD for backup. Each shoot, or set of images go into a subfolder within the LR folder. ie. studio_shoot_30-01-2010. I then use the pick ("P" key) and the reject ("X" key) to cull the RAWs. I then delete the rejects from the hard drive.
    2. Any edits, (my external editor is PS and set up within LR)) from within the RAW files in LR open automatically as a TIFF file.
    3. Complete editing the TIFF, then "Save As" to hi res JPG, and a second WEB copy. TIFF is then saved.
    4. I then create a set in LR, called studio_shoot edits_30-01-10 and drag the hi res and web JPGs into the set.
    5. Hi Res JPGs are colour tagged GREEN, and low res web copies are colour tagged BLUE.

I then have a folder on my Desktop called "Lightroom Exports", containing two subfolders, "Hi Res Exports" and "Web Exports"

I also have a few different export presets set up in LR for exporting the JPGs. ie. Export hi res for print, Export lo res for web, Export lo res to email etc etc ...

I love Lightroom
    Last edited by bigdazzler; 29-06-2010 at 7:40am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion to those that have a disorganised system (which I used to), is start afresh, but do NOT try and catalogue your old stuff. I created an entirely separate section for my old stuff, called the directory "Pre Catalog" and moved all my existing photos into it.

Then I started my new cataloging, and only new photos went into it. Now 4 years on, I have a good system that works for me, and I didn't have to stress about the HUGE job of sorting all the old stuff out.

If you try and catalogue 15,000 existing photos you will give up, so don't bother starting, just start from now, with future photos and catalogue those.
    That's what I was thinking Rick.
    I do have sub-folders eg. People...then each name of persons in subs. I find that works and the same with other topics.
    I do have heaps of photos I haven't even gone through yet....that puts you behind big time. It's hard keeping up when you take so many photos...lol
    Thanks for looking....Cheers,
    Julie-Anne / Julie / Jules / Julesy / JAS

MY ..... MY BLOG..... Feel free to look.
    Canon 40D / 24-105mm L IS / 70-200mm L IS / 75-300mm / 50mm 1.8 / Sigma 10-20mm / Manfrotto tripod / Bits and pieces to fill the bag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked about a filing system elsewhere and was told to do it in PSE so started doing that but then hubby said just use Windows .. so tagged the photos that way. At least then if hubby is looking for particular photos he can search using a tag word and will find them on the server .. where as if it's just in PSE or Lightroom, you have to have that particular program right or wrong ?
    Currently using Fuji Finepix S5800 with a view to buying my first DSLR in month or so.
    My Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by annainoz View Post
    I asked about a filing system elsewhere and was told to do it in PSE so started doing that but then hubby said just use Windows .. so tagged the photos that way. At least then if hubby is looking for particular photos he can search using a tag word and will find them on the server .. where as if it's just in PSE or Lightroom, you have to have that particular program right or wrong ?
    I only ever access my pictures through Lightroom so thats not an issue for me. If I do want to find the location of the file on the HD, you can right click the image in LR and click "Show In Finder", it will then pop up in a finder dialog box (on a mac of course) and points to the file.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Lightroom to import my photos so I can tag the metadata as well. But my process is

Folder for YEAR, subfolder for MONTH, folder for topic, I can then easily archive months and years to external drives ( I use 3 backup drives- two on site, one off site). Only current year photos remain on my second internal drive.

So Currently I have:

2009 / January / Cygnet Folk Festival
    2009 / January / Buckland Tasmania
    2009 / January / xxx & xxx Portraits Engagement
    Exactly what i do

So easy to do!!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbax View Post
    well its been a while since this first post, I know have mine in year and month, not perfect by any means but I can now find recent things easily, find a system and get into the habit, simple.....I wish I'd learnt it years ago
    For me, filing by month isn't meaningful, as I won't remember when I shot, say Mona Vale, whereas I will remember that it was Mona Vale I shot.

The subject or name of the shoot is generally more important then when I shot it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    For me, filing by month isn't meaningful, as I won't remember when I shot, say Mona Vale, whereas I will remember that it was Mona Vale I shot.

The subject or name of the shoot is generally more important then when I shot it.
    me too Johnno ... Lightroom Images > Studio_Shoot_30-10-2010 > files.

Although I do have a custom file name set up which includes year>month>(custom text)>seq file#

Works well for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My archive revolves around lightroom but is built with contingencies:
    Single File for Photos into which LR uploads..and then places in subfolders according to:
    ->2010
    ->Month
    ->Date/Type of Photography
    My flow process is flag/unflag for initial...then 1/3/5 rating...then metadata with specific keywords...process as tiff in either LR for speedy or CS5, once done, web jpg if required, placed into archive. Duplicated to spare storage device. Basically if I ever had a lightroom failure I wouldnt be boned with my archive system...yes it would be less efficient, but at least they wouldnt be lost to the world.
    Previous years are stored on a desktop drive, and everything is backed up in another state for paranoia deterrance...which arises when you do stupid things like PhDs.

Edit: Forgot to mention I went through all my old archives and ensured they conformed to this structure.
    Last edited by Xebadir; 29-06-2010 at 6:47pm. Reason: Addition of edited text.
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    I only ever access my pictures through Lightroom so thats not an issue for me. If I do want to find the location of the file on the HD, you can right click the image in LR and click "Show In Finder", it will then pop up in a finder dialog box (on a mac of course) and points to the file.
    We have all the laptops in the house networked as well as the two servers so that's why it's handy to do it the way I have started (and gotten lazy and slacked off tagging) lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I organize by months then subfolders of the events, but for photography assignments I use a few folders : raw, work in progress,final edits, proofs, jpgs, email
    |Gear|Canon 5D MkII + Grip |Canon 7D + Grip |Canon 580EXII x 3|Canon EF Fisheye 15mm F/2.8 |Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L Mk II | |Canon EF 400mm F/5.6L |Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS |Canon EF 24-105mm F/4 L IS |Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 Macro |Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 MK II |Sekonic L-358 Lightmeter |Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod + 322RC2 Head |Manfrotto 628B Monopod | Wireless Remote Flash Trigger PT-04 CN & 5 Receivers| Plus Too Much More (Filters Ect)
    Chris | http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119829358036800 | http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisprendergast |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12