User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: A couple of my first attempts - strobism

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of my first attempts - strobism

Here's a couple of my strobist attempts. I'm just getting started in it but am really excited with the possibilities. I would like at least another flash as I am only using one at the moment. Manual flash has a steep learning curve but I am slowly getting my head around it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the first and the last mate. Really well executed.

All this talk of flash is driving me nuts... have wanted one for ages but now am wanting one more
    Michael.

Camera: Canon EOS 400D w/ Battery Grip (BG-E3)
    Lenses: Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70, Canon 50 f/1.8 & Sigma 70-200
    Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.4 and Photoshop CS3
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrjorge/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Nick, the new strobist section is to discuss gear, setups, technical stuff, 'how-to's . Its not a critique area.

So post your photos, but let the members know what gear and how you achieved the effect as well
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one in Wanda (the Kombi, for those who haven't met her) works really well. Is that bare flash on low power, or did you use some kind of small diffuser? On the back-facing seat, I'm guessing.

Coincidentally my strobist kit turned up today: brolly, light stand and umbrella adapter. Unfortunately they sent me the wrong umbrella, but they're fixing that...

Now just have to wait until I get home from work to play with it..
    Last edited by Jimbo; 13-01-2009 at 3:19pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Hey Nick, the new strobist section is to discuss gear, setups, technical stuff, 'how-to's . Its not a critique area.

So post your photos, but let the members know what gear and how you achieved the effect as well

Okay I better do what Mr Boss Man says

For each of these shots I was using a Nikon SB800, similar to a Canon 580EX. I also have a little piece of equipment which allows flash wirelessly off camera. See here: http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.p...6&cat=0&page=1 - it is the first listed product called 4 channel wireless flash trigger V2s (very cheap!!!!) go to here http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03...nd-pocket.html where they discuss these and all the other wired and wireless flash options (look for the video demonstrating these little guys a bit of the way down the page.

For the first three shots the falsh was aimed off at an angle probably around 45 degrees to the subject and not that far away. I was using bare flash with no diffusers but I recommend you look into all the options for diffusion as I am at the moment for light that isn't as harsh.

On each of the shots the ambient light was measured and I set my camera to under-expose by a stop or two, but set the flash to a manual level that gave a good exposure on the subject. This gives the effects shown here. Each shot was taken in broad daylight.

The Kombi shot was lit with the flash on the seat not shown and bounced off the ceiling of the Kombi. I really had no idea what I was doing when I took this shot so it took a couple of goes to get right. Luckily I had discussed 'an experiment' I wanted to do with the bride and groom before hand and they agreed to let me take a bit more time than normal.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's David Beckham in the last two shots!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nick

May I ask how did you get the background effect of the last 2 wedding shots? You mentioned that they were taken on broad day light, but how did you make it looked like it was taken just after the sunset?
    Canon 5D MKII, 7D
    Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II | EF 24-70mm F2.8L | EF 16-35mm F2.8L II | EF 180mm F3L Macro | EF 85mm F1.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nick that's really nice work. If you're just getting started, then it all looks very promising. I'm in the same boat, just getting started, but I haven't got anything to show for it yet. My gear has literally only just arrived, and I'm still familiarising myself with it.

But great work, it's all very inspiring.
    Geoff

Dip Photo., Canon gear, strobist gear, bucketloads of skill and passion, but still holes in my knowledge you could drive a truck through.