I have just got myself a copy of understanding exposure, and it is quite intresting to say the least. However the first chapter has sort of thrown me. I understand the concept of haveing diferent combinations that could give the right exposure, but he goes on about when the cameras meter lets you know that the exposure is correct. does he mean when it is centered or what. if you take a picture of something that is white, and dont alow for the fact that the meter is taking a reading as if 18%grey, you dont get a completely white picture.

Is he asuming you know this or am i missing something. i usualy overexpose slightly or underexpose slightly depending on what i am shooting and what metering i am using. does this mean i am not getting a "corect exposure"? is a correct exposure if the picture looks how the scene did when you took the picture, for example if something is in shadow then it will come out dark in the picture?

Many questions, or incoherent rambelings, but it just didnt quite make scence to me. i posted here because noone had posted in the chapter one part for a while and i wasnt sure.

Please feel free to shed some light

Thank you
Dan