Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying a flash sucks!

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's worth looking at the Nissin Di-866, I bought one last week from HK, I can't really vouch for how good it is yet, but I can confirm that it has almost all the capabilities of the 580EX including master/slave operation, ETTL compatibility, multiple flash, variable power, zooming (24-105), catchight etc. The Di-866 is also firmware upgradeable via USB, so compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

I can also confirm that the Di-866 interfaces remotely as a slave with the 580EX javong tested that feature.

I haven't had time yet to do any comparison tests but I will as soon as I get back home to Tas.

The Di-866 is available for both Canon and Nikon, costs around $299 from HK, although if you're prepared to buy OS the 580EX can be had for around $450.
    Last edited by phild; 29-11-2009 at 12:16am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go third party (not Canon) you may have the problem of the flash not working as well as a Canon flash would. Look closely at the specs. of anything before you buy to make sure it does what you want it to.
    Carmen

My Stuff:- Canon 50D l EF 28-80 f2.8-4L
    l EF 100-300 f4-5.6 l Canon 100mm f2.8 macro l Tokina 11-16 f2.8 l Pol. Filter l Flash l Grip l Remote l Tripod l Lightroom 2 l CS3

Constructive Critique of my photos always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is another great link for tutes:

http://super.nova.org/DPR/Canon/

I wished I'd bought a 580 straight up, I got a 420 which is limited by no manual settings and also like the 430 can only be configured as a slave. You can use it off camera only as far as the oc3 lead will stretch unless you have another flash or the on camera flash of the 7D can trigger it I believe.

I don't think you will regret the choice of the 580, mine is coming with Santa

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123