Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a flash sucks!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, stay away from Sigma flashes if you want trouble-less operation unless the price difference really is very, very big. If you've got a slightly older Sigma unit, not supporting E-TTL II, it is useless when upgrading to the 50D for example. Check out Sigma's announcement on the issue.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nikon have CLS that 3rd party can't do. Duno if Canon has any such stuff.
    Otherwise 3rd party same specs for 1/3 price is a no brainer.

There's always people that say Canon/Nikon/Pentax access. are better for Canon/Nikon/Pentax 'in the long run'. Like the shoulder straps eh? It's only better if there are features that cause you to buy the brand one in the future. I know I won't.

Plus to get 180deg twist you have to go to the top models for brand flash

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using a Sigma flash on my 400d, I find it useful for family shots and for birding.
    I know I will get a better result for birding with the 430 ex than the Sigma, but budget dictates and an offer I could not refuse.
    The 430 ex II is a good all rounder, it is great for off camera as most will know, great for family shots, and it is great for birding.
    Due to the fact you can use it in high speed shooting. If money is tight save for the canon model as you will more than likely not beable to do some things with a after market model.
    The Sigma I have I cannot use it in high speed as it does not have it, so I am stuck with a max of 1/200th birding when the flash is needed. If I could have afforded the 430 ex that would not have been a problem.
    Go Canon.

my 00.02 cents worth.

Peter
    Any comments and critique always welcome
    Canon 400d twin lens kit & 60d : Canon 580 EX II & 430 EX II Flash | Cokin filters NDG 2,4 & 8 ND 8. + CPL | Sigma APO 150-500 OS DG | Canon 400L Canon 17-40L & 60 mm Macro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I have a 430 and wish i had the 580. that said if you only want 1 flash the 430 is fine. The diffuser is worth the $30 odd bucks if your doing alot of portraits.
    If you want to use 2 flashes or more than 430 only works as a slave and not as a master for that you need the 580. Other than that i'm not sure there's a great deal of difference between the 2.
    Jeff - Jeff D Photography
    Canon -
    http://jeffdphoto.ifp3.com/
    www.jeffdphotography.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Canon 580exII with a Lumiquest Ultrasoft diffuser, http://www.lumiquest.com/
    I am very happy with the results I am getting with these products, they are worth the expense.

Cheers

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well since posting this thread, i have decided that i will buy the 580exII - and i am over half way saving for it. I made this decision based on members input on this thread and a bit of research myself.

Reasons are: stay with canon, just easier for compatibility and checked prices with other brands and difference in prices was not to extreme really not a factor for me anymore.

580exII can be a master and slave - i also did some tutorials on line and it helped me to decide what i wanted to use a flash for. Though possibilities are endless and there is a lot to learn.

So thanks everyone and hopefully soon i will get a flash, but i don't mind waiting until i go away in June.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 580EXII is a great flash, you made the right choice, it has several distinct advantages for me personally, the most important being the bi-directional 180 degree rotation and the ability to use FEB and the CP-E4 Battery Pack.

The 430EX is great, but if you are doing anything professional, or where you need speed and flexibility, it's near unusable. I do use it, but mostly as a backup for my 580EXII. I wish I had of gotten just 2 580EXII's in the first place. Back in the days of the good AUD I got my 580EXII brand new from the US for $329 (cheaper than what I paid for my 430EX)

RE: Diffusers, in my opinion these are the biggest scams in Photography. They add nothing and are totally useless. There is nothing you can do with a flash and diffuser that you can't do with just a bare flash. The one exception is if you are absolutely not able to bounce, in which case a diffuser would be a marginal improvement over direct flash. When you can bounce a diffuser is just useless bulk.
    Last edited by smorter; 19-01-2009 at 10:30pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not totally in agreement about the diffusers and their worth. I did find a marked improvement when using one on the 580EX II but I do agree that for what they are the prices being asked are ludicrous.

I actually bought one off ebay the other day, a Sto-Fen rip off from China to fit the 580EX II, it cost me all of AU$5.60 with shipping. When it arrived the postage was $5.10 so that makes the diffuser worth 50 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    diffusers are a ripoff, you can get so many 3rd party for under $5 shipped. Especially the 'gary fong' crap that sells a bit of plastic for $60USD.

I'm confused what diffuser cups are good for, since surely you'd rather bounce. But the SB900 comes with 2-3 cups!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As stated 430ex for now and upgrade when needed..
    My Gear;
    5DMk III | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM | Sigma 120-400mm 1:4.5-5.6 APO HSM | Speedlite 430EX II | Manfrotto Tipod

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I try so hard not nag my husband when I want new gear and i have been very good in regards to getting my flash. I did not drop any big hints (at least not intentionally).

I saved my pennies, when tonite out of the blue, he said i could have some money to buy more camera gear. So I am going to buy the 580exII. I know it has gone up a bit, but i will get this flash and also buy a reflector I think. Now i face a new learning curve......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on you Shelley. I'm sure you'll get a lot of good use out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talking about flash units..
    I get myself a Sigma 530 DG ST a couple of months ago.
    This unit it's absolutely useless on a Canon 400D, i mean unless a TTL use (full auto so you can't "play" with), you'vo got 2 other option witch are : full mode (53 GN, hard to handle..) or 1/16 of the power... sucks..
    So i've order a 430 EX...
    I've spend twice the price of the 430 EX a the end...
    Now i have to face another unpleasant situation with the Sigma.. I would like to use it as an off-camera flash or slave and guess what... So far it's impossible :'(
    My advice will be think twice or more before spending precious money on your gear budget !!

That was my 2cts
    Thanks for reading lol !
    YannB.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a cheap one on eBay to see how I liked it etc. It does not have TTL, but there are 2 auto settings which I have to work out how to set up, and there are 8 levels you can set it to in manual, and it has a swivel head, a little diffuser box etc. I am quite happy with it and can see big advantages, so a Canon Speedlight is planned down the track. The flash unit was $77 and the off camera cord (and I should have got the longer one!) $43.
    Last edited by Analog6; 15-09-2009 at 6:53am.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YannB View Post
    Talking about flash units..
    I get myself a Sigma 530 DG ST a couple of months ago.
    This unit it's absolutely useless on a Canon 400D, i mean unless a TTL use (full auto so you can't "play" with), you'vo got 2 other option witch are : full mode (53 GN, hard to handle..) or 1/16 of the power... sucks..
    So i've order a 430 EX...
    I've spend twice the price of the 430 EX a the end...
    Now i have to face another unpleasant situation with the Sigma.. I would like to use it as an off-camera flash or slave and guess what... So far it's impossible :'(
    My advice will be think twice or more before spending precious money on your gear budget !!

That was my 2cts
    Thanks for reading lol !
    YannB.

Should've taken it back to the shop...still can i think

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roof View Post
    Should've taken it back to the shop...still can i think
    Why? Because it's not broken? The "issue" as described is per design... from the Sigma website:
    Compatible with AF single-lens reflex cameras of all popular manufacturers. this flash unit allows fully automatic photography with automatic TTL exposure control. In addition to the automatic mode, it also provides two power levels in manual mode: full and 1/16 power.
    Editted to add: or are you referring to off-shoe flash not working? That's also per design . They switch off automatically after 80 seconds of inactivity and that cannot seem to be switched off.
    Last edited by jev; 16-09-2009 at 12:08am.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post
    Why? Because it's not broken? The "issue" as described is per design... from the Sigma website:

The product does not meet customers expectation. Here in Australia is a good enough reason to take things back, If you have to original packaging

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roof View Post
    The product does not meet customers expectation.
    The customer should have done their research! I own the EF-500ST, was the first external flash I bought. I knew it didn't do everything the EF-500 Super did, but it was also proportionately cheaper. I used flash exposure comp to tame it down when TTL didn't work.

My father has worked in retail for 30 years as a manager and business owner and has constant stories of people doing the same thing. If the store didn't offer to demo the product then the customer should have asked for a demo, or done research before laying down their money on the product.
    Adam.

AGSPhotos.com

Using Nikon & PS CS5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, buying third party,its always a case of 'caveat emptor'.
    Me, I'm sticking with the Canon products, currently have 430EX flash and am saving for the 580EX as for diffusers etc if I cant make it then I'll buy it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Evening,

I have bought two flashes lately, a Metz CL-4 and a Metz CL-3 to use with my Pentax K20D.
    It is a steep learning curve, thank goodness for digital! I took nearly forty shots of a sea shell trying different settings with my Tamron f2.5 90mm macro lens.

Regards,
    Gordon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast