User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Copyright / Photographers Rights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The negative side effects of these laws being passed is the lack of proper education of the persons who are tasked to enforce it.
    Without proper training to implement these laws, each of these rangers or patrols can become a Judge Dredd or Harry Callahan.
    It seems enthusiast photographers are more aware of the laws than those who implement the policies.
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good point Raoul.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another press item...

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/soc...017-16p0v.html

The right to record events in public spaces is fast being eroded.

About a year ago, photo enthusiast Sean Farrow was struck by the beauty of Cape Schanck during a visit and wanted a picture of the beach and cliffs in the midday sun. He grabbed his new digital camera and headed down the steps to the sand until he was stopped by a booming voice from above.

It wasn't the voice of God, but someone whose power was equally closed to question. A uniformed ranger from Parks Victoria informed him: ''I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave, that's not permitted here.''
    Advertisement: Story continues below

According to Parks Victoria, commercial photography or filming in Victorian national parks is banned unless the photographer has paid for a permit. Such distinctions were apparently lost on the ranger because at that stage Farrow was hardly a commercial photographer. The camera he was carrying was relatively cheap, good enough for a competent amateur. It was, however, sufficient for the ranger to sense a transgression, so Farrow put away his equipment and left.

At the end of August, a group of photographers calling themselves Arts Freedom Australia held a rally in Sydney to protest at what they feel are increasing erosions of the right to record whatever is happening in a public place - a right that is supposedly enshrined in law.

There is growing alarm as freedoms to record life and nature are being restricted in a manner unprecedented in the years since 1825, when Frenchman Nicephore Niepce made the first photograph.

Since then, photography has produced an amazing record of human life. It has shown the horrors of war, beauty of nature, triumph of achievement, degradation of poverty, hubris of celebrity, but most importantly it has recorded everyday life. It is this latter category that is often most treasured.

<snip> ... more via the link
    The comments are a good read as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is sad, but we are powerless to change it. the self righteous and politically motivated care only for the control and power they gain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course we can change it.

We demonstrate and use civil disobedience.
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mod note: Threads merged

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post
    But as a teacher your should know "Won't someone think of the Children?"
    http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress...e_children.jpg

And therein lies the real problem, no-one (Joe Public) really thinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, as a teacher, I know that the expression "Won't someone think of the Children?", whilst a valid concern, is an often abused by those in authority to stamp on people's rights. (which is the point of the cartoon you posted - I guess)

It is like 'terrorism' - it is used to justify the gross abuse of human rights. (again, I suspect you already think this too)

Scotty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty72 View Post

Or we can unite and use the power of the word to lobby those who need to listen. AFA is already having success by doing this. I'd urge people to support them.

Had it not been for constructive lobbying by representatives (ie volunteers, like myself), the Australian Copyright law would not have been changed/amended.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    Or we can unite and use the power of the word to lobby those who need to listen. AFA is already having success by doing this. I'd urge people to support them.

Had it not been for constructive lobbying by representatives (ie volunteers, like myself), the Australian Copyright law would not have been changed/amended.
    Had it not been for lobbying by other industry bodies, australian copyright laws would not have some of the egregious clauses regarding anti-circumvention devices and other restrictions on fair dealing introduced 10 years ago.

Lobbying cuts both ways - it is not always volunteers, and you are often working against well connected and well funded groups.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if anyone else has pointed this out but the links that you put in the initial sticky work any longer
    Website - McGoo Photography
    Sean | Olympus E5 | Olympus e620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 35-100 SHG | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 70-300 | OM 50mm | Panagor macro converter | CPL filter | FL-50R flash |

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olympuse620 View Post
    Not sure if anyone else has pointed this out but the links that you put in the initial sticky work any longer
    Sorry bout that, looks like the copyright council have started to introduce a fee for access to some of the information:

See this: http://www.shop.copyright.org.au/pro...roductid=16559

Some free stuff can be found on this page: http://www.copyright.org.au/search-r...q=photographer
    Last edited by ricktas; 22-05-2011 at 2:23pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. Luckily I've yet to meet such overbearing misinformed police or security guards. I agree that it's unlikely to be worth the effort to prove you are right, but what does that say about the value of these people's time?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345