Thread: Carbon Fiber Tripod $245.99 - Weight 1.4Kg, Load 14Kg

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carbon Fiber Tripod $245.99 - Weight 1.4Kg, Load 14Kg

Hi all

I'm looking for a new tripod to replace my Chinese made aluminium job, which is as solid as a rock, but weighs around 3.5Kg. When I first got it I replaced the head, which was not up to scratch, with a Manfrotto 141RC. The legs were fine.

My reason for replacement is weight saving, a serious consideration in my declining years.
    Being retired, I can spend a bit of time trolling the internet looking for bargains and came across this item.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It reads OK when you get past the literal Chinese translation. And that price is delivered.

I like the 3 section 1227 model because I think 3 sections are more stable than 4, and also as I'm 1820mm tall (6' for fellow old codgers) the extra height, because if I need to use it at standing eye level, I don't have to fully extend the legs (stability again).

I know if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is, but I just received a Lowepro backpack from China at a HUGE saving on local prices. I'm also old enough to remember when a 'Made in Japan' label was an invitation for disaster, and hasn't that changed.

I'd appreciate any comments.

Cheers

Kevin
    Last edited by Cage; 14-09-2010 at 1:11pm. Reason: missed word
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like a good enough deal to me, might be worth checking local prices to see if you can find something local around the same price.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kevin, I am using the EXACT tripod you have mention here.

The quality is high and it also comes with a pretty decent carry bag.

I have also pull it apart for cleaning and the plastic parts used within is pretty good quality too.

LinkDelight is one of few who supplying some very good 3rd party options/products. But their shipping CAN BE SLOW. Make sure you send them a message asking if you buy now, when will you receive it AND ask if they are on any public holiday. I don't receive couple of products until a month later because they are on some sort of public holiday for 2 weeks but didn't acknowledge me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to others who have access the Photo Continental shop...

The tripods has also been sold by the P.C. under the similar model name but branded as "Fotobetterway" or something like that, but at least 2x of the price! But you can have a look what you are getting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the height against the one you have to see if it will be ok. I was told they are best if you dont have to extend the center column as far as stabilty goes. I think the height of 1650mm is fully extended.

I bought a lowepro bag from overseas as well. It was half price delivered to my door. I buy most of my accessories overseas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine has no problem, very sturdy. It has a little hook at the bottom of the center column so you can put your bag on to help stablise in windy condition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don'y know about them but i just gat a Benro Model: C-297 M8 from Photo Shop Studio and its a hell of a height even before you put up the centre column and put the head and camera on. It was 345.00 delivered and has the pivoting top and all.
    cheers - jb
    My Goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    andylo: Thanks, I was hoping someone had one of these, and glad you are happy with it.

Paul: There is no local C/F tripod that even comes close, price wise.

Rod: At 1650mm + head + camera, it allows me to back off the legs, and the centre column.

jbee: Thanks mate, but that's another hundred bucks, or a battery grip and some odds 'n' ends.

Cheers, and thanks for the input.

Kevin

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW Paul, I've seen this tripod advertised online in Oz for $499.00.

Go figure.

Kevin

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post
    BTW Paul, I've seen this tripod advertised online in Oz for $499.00.

Go figure.

Kevin
    That is expensive, sounds like this is a good deal then.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a reminder, Carbon fiber tube's quality can be very different. As we know Carbon fiber is very light and stiff but lack of flexility. Aluminium have heaps better flexility and the quality not that difficult to control and inspect.

Therefore, i would say find a local shop that sells the carbon fiber tripod and inspect it yourself. Even anything goes wrong, they will repair it or replace it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds good Kevin....I`m looking forward to checking it out.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a knock-off of the Benro, ie. a knock-off of a knock-off

Interesting pattern on the legs. I don't think I've seen a CF hatch pattern before.

As we know Carbon fiber is very light and stiff but lack of flexility
    I had understood that CF absorbs vibrations better than aluminium, implying more flexibility?
    SA

Canon 7D | Canon 30D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L (non-IS) | 580EX II

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kevin,

A good store I sound in Sydney that sells Benro tripods is Photo Shop Studio's on Parramatta Rd, Leichardt:

http://www.photo-shop-studio.com/eng/default.asp

I purchased my Benro tripod, ball head and monopod from them as I could actually try them out before purchase. Prices seem reasonable and they have a good selection.