Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon software updates

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update Cat! On the video issue, I think your movies must be in the format Canon is producing. AVI by nature just is a so-called container format, there can be a variety of formats in there (like MPEG-4, MPEG-2, H.264, DivX etc. etc). Canon uses the somewhat exotic Motion JPEG (MJPeg for short) format (file extension .MVI). The file extension MOV is used by QuickTime, dunno how well it copes with that. Your best bet may be to convert to MJPEG.
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post
    Thanks for the update Cat! On the video issue, I think your movies must be in the format Canon is producing. AVI by nature just is a so-called container format, there can be a variety of formats in there (like MPEG-4, MPEG-2, H.264, DivX etc. etc). Canon uses the somewhat exotic Motion JPEG (MJPeg for short) format (file extension .MVI). The file extension MOV is used by QuickTime, dunno how well it copes with that. Your best bet may be to convert to MJPEG.

Thanks Jev - i sorta expected fropm how it said on the update info on the being able to edit avi it would be able to pic up any avi file and edit it

i worked out how to create them from pics on it but yeah it wont let me open one I already have
    Last edited by Miaow; 25-03-2009 at 9:01pm.
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon Japan released DPP 3.6 today - though not yet available as an update it can be downloaded here (note: this does not update but installs as a complete release!). I haven't checked every detail yet, but at first sight it now offers highlight and shadow recovery functionality. Now if only Canon would allow for free rotation...

BTW, there is a third party programmer working on adding free rotation to DPP, read more here (note: download and use at your own risk!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post
    Canon Japan released DPP 3.6 today - though not yet available as an update it can be downloaded here (note: this does not update but installs as a complete release!). I haven't checked every detail yet, but at first sight it now offers highlight and shadow recovery functionality. Now if only Canon would allow for free rotation...

BTW, there is a third party programmer working on adding free rotation to DPP, read more here (note: download and use at your own risk!).
    does anyone on a mac have constant issues with the program just freezing then quitting when you try to do too much at once
    i have found this has been an issue since i swapped to mac 18mnths ago
    running 3.5.1
    i so wish too u could install plug in s for it aswell

note just looking at that link is it only for powershot users and what does t mean by redevelop raw images?? any one using it
    would be nice too if it could read nikon raw as i have other photographers who shoot for me!
    Last edited by photodude; 09-04-2009 at 1:23pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by photodude View Post
    does anyone on a mac have constant issues with the program just freezing then quitting when you try to do too much at once
    Agreed, 3.5 was not very stable on MAC - but I used that new version 3.6 yesterday for hours at a time doing lots of conversions without problems, it looks like the developers improved stability big time!

note just looking at that link is it only for powershot users and what does t mean by redevelop raw images?? any one using it
    I am using it. It's not just for powershot users, but it was introduced with the powershot SX1 and unfortunately it seems to be available only from the Japanese site I mentioned earlier and you will need a valid device serial number for downloading (look on DpReview forums for more information).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks for this, I had to get the DDP 3.5 for my 50D, I don't have a CD drive to the moment, so I could not use the CD that came with body

Glad I found the software

FINE ART PRINTS: www.kanegledhill.com.au
    FLICKR: www.flickr.com/photos/kanegledhill
    FB: www.facebook.com/kanegledhillphotography

Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 50D | Canon EF 17-40 f/4 L | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM Lens | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM Lens. Fotoman 617 (medium format film)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome to hear no issues on the mac
    out of all ive tried i always go back to DPP
    just so much quiker cause i shoot raw with a 1dmk3 and dpp always had the truest representation and quickest to gwt through them all
    just wish we could use those plugins!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so far worked great back and forwards from trim and stamp and even moved an image in the main screen and it didnt shit itself
    i did as i hadnt save but it was fine
    could this be the stable mac version ive always wanted!!

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and another release (minor update) from the usual channels:

• EOS Utility 2.6.1: Added 500D support, movie downloading, fix for direct transfer function
    • Picture Style Editor 1.5.0: Added 500D support
    • Original Data Security tools 1.6.0: Added 500D support
    • DPP 3.6.1: Added 500D & SX1 IS support, shadow/highlights, lens abberation support for 50/2.5, lifesize converter, MP-E 65/2.8
    • Canon RAW codec 1.5.0: Added 500D & SX1 IS support, GPS support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jev - I've been checking out the site waiting for the new DPP updater - good to know they have it there now

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon DPP update

Canon has a field day today I think... they released a new version of their RAW software package DPP, version 3.7.2.

Release notes:
    Quote Originally Posted by www.usa.canon.com
    Changes for Digital Photo Professional 3.7.0

1. Adds supported models
    The EOS 7D, PowerShot G11, and PowerShot S90 are now supported.

2. Adds an NR Preview screen (NR: Noise Reduction)
    You can now adjust the NR level while checking the image status on the Preview screen.

3. Maintains the [Collection] window
    Before, when quitting Digital Photo Professional, all images in the [Collection] window were removed from the [Collection] window; however, this has been improved so that the images in the [Collection] window can now be maintained.

4. Adds the lenses that support the aberration correction function.
    Newly supports the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF-S15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, and EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS.

Changes for Digital Photo Professional 3.6.1

1. Adds supported models
    Now supports the EOS Kiss X3 / EOS REBEL T1i / EOS 500D and PowerShot SX1 IS.

2. Adds an adjustment function to RAW adjustment for shaded and highlighted parts.

3. Adds the lenses that support the aberration correction function.
    Now supports the EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro + Life-Size Converter, and MP-E 65mm f/2.8.
    Download your updates from the usual locations (for example here).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks jev - will update

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merged the software update posts - there's a zoom browser one out also looking at this (which doesnt appear to be linking at pres)?
    Last edited by Miaow; 20-10-2009 at 11:28pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cat. Couldn't find the thread and it didn't appear in the list of similar existing threads when creating a new one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah the original was hard t find -we got new comp and hard to find it took me a while a couple weeks ago - have stickied it now so easier to find/update

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miaow View Post
    there's a zoom browser one out also looking at this (which doesnt appear to be linking at pres)?
    Zoom browser update is linking ok now thought I should add

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon Digital Photo Professional 3.7 release

The latest version of Canon Digital Photo Professional 3.7.2 has been released (about 1 month ago now) for those that are using the Canon RAW program for their image processing. Can download the update here from Canon Europe http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0035755.asp

**mod edit:Merged posts on this subject together **
    Last edited by Miaow; 19-11-2009 at 3:16pm. Reason: merged posts
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the "heads up". I hadn't known about the update until your post. The update has some nice features.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did an update awhile ago, but unsure of what version. Will have to check that out tonight when I get home and update if needed
    Rachel
    Canon 50D/ 5DMK2; 24-70 f2.8L; 18-200 IS (kit); 50 f1.8 II; Sigma 10-20; 430 EXII; Lowepro bags; plus other accessories
    LR3, CS5 & PSE6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have just moved this post in here today (canon specific) as it has been in the hardware/software section quite a while now - thought I'd move it in here as a sticky since is more applicable here and so more canon users would see the updates

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast