0 Thread(s)

Canon software updates

Canon just released new versions of the following software:
    DPP 3.5.1
    Zoombrowser EX 6.2.1a
    WFT Utility 3.3
    Picture style editor 1.4.1
    EOS Utility 2.5.1
    Canon RAW codec 1.4 (updated 2 weeks earlier or so, but nevertheless...)

I updated DPP today and at first sight there's nothing new under the sun. That is, until you have a look at the generated EXIF. Seems it finally is complete! Further more, this update adds / extends support for the 5DII, 50D and G10.

Warning: if you're running Windows 2000... do not install this one; support for Win2K is ended with release 3.5!

Last but not least, download here
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff, thanks for that Jev. I'm off to start updating.
    Osprey Photography

Canon: 5D Mk II, 40D, 10D all gripped, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 24-105 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS, 50 f1.4, 100 f2.8 Macro and other assorted accessories.

Some stalk, some chase and some pursue... but I hunt.

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, thanks for the news. I was reading the other week that there was a new version of DPP out but noone seemed to be able to find it to download. Thanks, will be interested to see what updates there have been do DPP. Sounds like there is nothing much in the way of new though.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played with the new DPP a little more. It seems the EXIF information added consists of interoperability- and (finaly!) all manufacturer custom settings. Interesting for who uses DAM software!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just purchased a Canon 40D but as yet not installed any of the software.

I find the packaged software is usually bloated with things one never needs, my question is, do you think the Canon software is usefull or necessary????

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like using DPP for its quick batch file conversion capability, especially good when dealing with a lot of images for a panorama, or for preparation for HDR.

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find there is over-duplication in many of the programs but find DPP priceless for RAW processing and batching. To me it has something that other RAW editing programs cannot match in terms of output.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DPP is not bad at all, and OES utility isn't bad either. Personally I'm no fan of BreezeBrowser that is also included, but I don't think it's very bad either. The latter however totally does deserve the title "BloatWare" IMHO - it installs a number of things that could've been handled as well or even better in the same package.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Canon 400D and don't use any of the Canon software. I use Lightroom for all my importing and cataloguing as well as some RAW tweaks and CS3 for more advanced stuff.

Am interested in the thoughts that come out in this thread because I have always wondered what others get out of the Canon software that I might be missing.
    Michael.

Camera: Canon EOS 400D w/ Battery Grip (BG-E3)
    Lenses: Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70, Canon 50 f/1.8 & Sigma 70-200
    Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.4 and Photoshop CS3
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrjorge/

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJorge View Post
    I have a Canon 400D and don't use any of the Canon software. I use Lightroom for all my importing and cataloguing as well as some RAW tweaks and CS3 for more advanced stuff.
    Apples and pears! I never understood the popularity of lightroom... why pay big bucks for software that doesn't offer more functionality than what you get with your camera + $69 for a DAM package (euhm... or BreezeBrowser that you got with the camera - same issue ofcourse )? Or, for that matter, pay > $1000 for CS3 when all the things you do you can do for free with GiMP or at low-budget with a package like PSE or PSP?

Am interested in the thoughts that come out in this thread because I have always wondered what others get out of the Canon software that I might be missing.
    What you are missing is style-support and probably Canon specific things like dust deletion, automatic lens correction and perhaps CA correction? I'm not familiar enough with ACR to know exactly what it can do these days... . There is one thing that you cannot do in DPP that bugs me: image rotation is not supported
    Last edited by jev; 24-11-2008 at 9:10pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is one thing that you cannot do in DPP that bugs me: image rotation is not supported
    Oh Dear!!! I must have a rogue copy of DPP as under Adjustments it says
    Rotate left Ctrl L
    Rotate right Ctrl R

I shall re-install it from the CD immediately!!
    Graham

Canon- EOS 7D with BG-E7 grip, 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, 24-105L f/4; Speedlites 580EX II, 550EX, 430EX.
    Sigma- 18-50 f/2.8, 50-150 f/2.8, 120-300 f/2.8, 50-500 f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS, 30 f/1.4, 150 f/2.8 macro, Sigma APO 1.4x and 2x Teleconverters;
    Kenko Extension tubes; Benro- M-257 tripod & B-1 ballhead; Wimberley- Sidekick.
    Home made "bag" on wheels; heaps and heaps of other minor stuff!

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverlander View Post
    Rotate left Ctrl L
    Rotate right Ctrl R
    Okay, I should've been more clear: there is no free rotation possible, just in steps of 90 degrees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post
    What you are missing is style-support and probably Canon specific things like dust deletion, automatic lens correction and perhaps CA correction? I'm not familiar enough with ACR to know exactly what it can do these days... . There is one thing that you cannot do in DPP that bugs me: image rotation is not supported
    Thanks for that info. Very tired this morning but will try to find some links later on to figure out exactly what all that means and try to decide if I am missing out on something useful. Again thanks for the info, muchly appreciated mate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bookmarked this post and only just finally remebered to update these today (bad memory didnt remeber till now lol)

Just to let others know there's 2 more updates out now dated 7th Jan 2009

Digital Photo Professional 3.5.2 Updater for Windows
    Picture Style Editor 1.4.2 for Windows
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beauty, thanks for that, Cat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Helen - I thought I'd better let people know that there were more new updates out now

Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post
    Okay, I should've been more clear: there is no free rotation possible, just in steps of 90 degrees.
    I usually use irfanview for custom rotation - so far i havent found any other software that i have that has that function in it apart from irfanview - it can do even like a decimal point correction on a pic which is handy though it seems to loose a bit of the sharpness in a pic when you do it :/
    Last edited by Miaow; 21-01-2009 at 9:33pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads-up Cat, I did notice there was a new version out but didn't get around to checking out the changes.

On the topic of (free) rotation: almost all other editing software is able to freely rotate. I used Picasa to edit a couple of pics from a recent trip (shot RAW using a Fuji bridge camera for which Picasa is about the most decent free convertor I could find) and that has free rotation possibilities. Almost all other generic editing tools I have in my toolbox provide the same functionality: GiMP, PSP, Pixelmator, PS Elements, IrfanView, they all can do it. Except the Canon software (both, DPP and ZoomBrowser).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah didnt know gimp could do it (which i have ) just worked out how LOL

agree strange though really DPP doesnt have it if other free software does

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to mention - noticed a couple of more updates are available since the last updates mentioned

ZoomBrowser EX 6.3.1 Updater 12/3/2009

Changes of ZoomBrowser EX 6.3.1:
    1. This updater supports: PowerShot A480, PowerShot A1100 IS, PowerShot SX200 IS, PowerShot D10, IXY DIGITAL 510 IS/Digital IXUS 110 IS/PowerShot SD960 IS, IXY DIGITAL 210 IS/Digital IXUS 100 IS/PowerShot SD780 IS, IXY DIGITAL 110 IS/Digital IXUS 95 IS/PowerShot SD1200 IS, IXY DIGITAL 830 IS/ Digital IXUS 990 IS/PowerShot SD970 IS, PowerShot SX1 IS(RAW model).
    2. Enables users to edit MOV/AVI movies.
    Canon RAW Codec 1.4.1 25/1/2009
    Last edited by Miaow; 25-03-2009 at 4:58pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm not sure on this been trying to work out the edit video (avi/mov) feature on the new zoom browser - seems i can create them but i cant load an already existing file...
    If someone gets this working on an exisiting one can they please tell me how

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast