Thread: Lowepro Flipside 200 Mini Review

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lowepro Flipside 200 Mini Review

Lowepro Flipside 200 Mini Review

As some of you on here know I have had a number of camera bags over the last few months, after swapping a few times between different models I am now quite happy with my Lowepro flipside 200.

I have been using a Lowepro slingshot 100AW for a few months but after last weekend where I was carrying it all day at the Launceston meet up I found it was simply too heavy and hard to carry on a single strap for long periods of time so this week I was looking for a new bag that carried a bit more gear then what the slingshot 100AW would carry and also had more than one strap.

The flipside 200 looks more like a normal backpack then a camera bag and this can be a good thing if you go in to some less than ideal areas with it as it draws less attention to you and what you are carrying.

The flipside 200 can hold a lot more gear then what it looks like, with my Nikon D40 and 18-135mm lens attached I can still fit my 55-200mm VR lens and easily fit another 2 lenses or 1 lens and flash easily, at the top of the main compartment it has a removable case which is perfect for chargers and cords to live in.
    On the side it has a pocket for memory cards and other smalls things plus a drink bottle holder on the other side, the front features a tripod holder which is also perfect for attaching another small case to if you wish, the arm straps feature the slip lock straps for attaching small cases if you wish.

Once you put the bag on its main feature comes to light and this is one of the main reasons I decided to buy it, if you have it on your back and have the waist band done up you can take your arms out and swing the bag around to your front, you can now open the back of the bag (the part that is normally against your back) and get your gear out or change lenses without having to put the bag down, this is also a great security feature as it means people can’t open your bag while you are wearing it and steal any of your gear.

Once I have had this bag a bit longer and have used it more I will update this review but so far I am more than impressed with it.

Paul

http://pgbphotographytas.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information above on the Lowepro Flipside 200. I am thinking seriously about getting the Lowepro Flipside 300. I carry alot of gear with me when out and about taking photos. At present I am using a shoulder bag and it really wears me down after a few hours. So looking forward to getting a 300.
    www.wjdphotography.net

My Gear - Canon 40D, Canon 350D, 17-85mm, 18-55mm, 50mm 1.8, 75-300mm, Tamron 18-250mm Manfrotto Tripod,
    Lightroom 2.4, Photoshop Elements 6

____________________________________________________________________________

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at a new bag. Was thinking of the Slingshot or the Flipside. I like the look of this and thanks for the writeup. Sounds pretty much like exactly I want. Now to decide what size.
    Michael.

Camera: Canon EOS 400D w/ Battery Grip (BG-E3)
    Lenses: Sigma 10-20, Sigma 24-70, Canon 50 f/1.8 & Sigma 70-200
    Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.4 and Photoshop CS3
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrjorge/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Flipside300 takes the 1D with 150-500 attached plus spare batt and charger. Love it!
    Canon 1D, 5D, 7D & D2000 plus lotsa extras
    See here for gear list: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...d.php?p=151869

My photo website http://www.touring4x4.com/
    Travel & photography blog: http://www.touring4x4.com/blog/

PP & CC is OK

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the mini review. Might have to go to Diamonds and check it out. I've used the whickey n cox crumpler but i'm not happy with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it looks quite long, quite big. I wonder if it's suitable for me wanting to store a D90+2lens+SB900?
    How strong is the tripod hook? My tripod has a case already, I usually carry it separately..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    it looks quite long, quite big. I wonder if it's suitable for me wanting to store a D90+2lens+SB900?
    How strong is the tripod hook? My tripod has a case already, I usually carry it separately..
    It would be fine for what you have. The tripod foot sits in a flap that tucks awway when not in use & the strap just holds it verticle. I have a manfrotto 190ProXB & it sits there just fine. I thought it would move aound but it doesn't at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats the feeling Slingshot vs Flipside? slingshot looks useful w/o taking it off, but irl?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that I want to be able to grab the camera with the battery grip and 70-200mm attached out of it and park three other lenses around it -the Flipside 300 looks longer than the others and the price is not too bad -

Still thinking about it but Im definitely going to go check it out at a Store and make sure what I want to go it in can fit before I go and buy it online from OS (10 percent + cheaper) on Ebay.. if Im patient enough to wait that long

Im not sure Id want to carry that weight around all day on my back anyway so putting the bag down in between the tripod legs for landscaping (closed and hog tied to the tripod itself) should be safe enough.
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 6D & 1Ds Cameras l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Canon EF 70 - 200 F4.0 L USM Lenses I Manfrotto Tripods I Adobe Photoshop CS6 l Lightroom 3.0 I Lee Filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a 70-200mm and won't unless I win the lotto, which makes me wonder about these bags a bit. Tho none of these seem to help 'in the field' lens changing. Anyone have a good technique for lens changing not requiring a table etc to place things? And I don't mean the ppl that wave their body around not caring if dust flies in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    I don't have a 70-200mm and won't unless I win the lotto, which makes me wonder about these bags a bit. Tho none of these seem to help 'in the field' lens changing. Anyone have a good technique for lens changing not requiring a table etc to place things? And I don't mean the ppl that wave their body around not caring if dust flies in.
    There is a few ideas here

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Kkjf

I like the idea of using a clear plastic bag and doing it all inside a bag if your really worried about dust particles etc... Actually one of the people in the thread above puts paid to the 'myth' around turning the camera off first which I found interesting. I think you can draw a few ideas from that thread and try them out yourself.

PS: I went and got the Lowepro Flipside 400 today from the local camera shop- its a beauty.