Thread: Any Recent Scam Attempts...?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any Recent Scam Attempts...?

My latest came to my Gmail account.

It momentarily looked "legit" because I had recently had plumbing done and had given them my
    email address for the bill, and the amount was in the range they had quoted. But this wanted
    payment using Paypal -- and in BITCOIN!!! Then there were the oddities like who they were,
    the shortened amount figure they used, some hint about a subscription I had never made, and just
    its general shoddy appearance. But I thought how some people could be easily taken in by it.

I tried calling the number with my private line, but it went silent after a few rings and so I
    couldn't tell them off Ahh, now to report it. (And I don't even have a Paypal account )

Recent scam...
    scam1.jpg
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We seem to get scam attempts every day. So much so I've had to set the do not disturb function on my phone at night to ignore numbers not in my contacts list.

We recently purchased a new home. In emails, contract docs and their web sites, the real estate and conveyancer stressed in importance of calling to check the account details before any funds were transferred.

I'm not concerned for myself as we are sceptical about any unsolicited communication but my 85 yo and 91 yo parents are another matter. Dad has no clue and Mum pretends she does.
    Canon 5Ds, 16-35mm F4 L, 24-105mm F4 L.