User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Quantitative testing and reporting of cameras and lenses

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quantitative testing and reporting of cameras and lenses

I used to use DXOmarks huge data base and test results. It was excellent, but it is not updated and well out of date. DP Review was an only just alternative but it is also closing.
    Is there some other source available. Even when viewing gear offered for sale, specifications are abreviated.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martycon View Post
    I used to use DXOmarks huge data base and test results. It was excellent, but it is not updated and well out of date. DP Review was an only just alternative but it is also closing.
    Is there some other source available. Even when viewing gear offered for sale, specifications are abreviated.
    I have no particular offer for your query, but about DPR, no it is not closing.
    It was taken over by Gear Patrol months ago and is running well.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.the-digital-picture.com Bryan has been running The Digital Picture for many years. He is careful, thorough, methodical, and very balanced. No other review site I have seen even comes close to TDP.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Am. I was looking at its reviews for compact cameras for a friend, and their last entry was I think a few years ago. I shall go back there and look further.
    regards marty

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Tony, I shall look at TDP. If you ike it so will I.
    regards marty

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^That would be about right, Marty. - Compacts are AFAICT not being produced anymore.
    This is from some recent posts I've seen on DPR. But check out Tony's site to verify.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use TDP back in the day too, and like Tony says, he's fairly thorough with his info.
    Only small tidbit of 'annoyance' with some of his reviews is that he's gone from one camera type to another, which makes it harder to directly compare some lenses, as the pixel pitch has changed from lower to higher levels and high pixel density image sensors appear to show either more or less sharpness from some lenses. Also, hard to compare(ie. directly) image quality with his third party lens tests with non-Canon camera systems. Non Canon folks need to extrapolate the data a bit. Totally understandable tho, not trying to undermine his efforts.

Other sites of note for lens review data, that may not be fully complete but of honourable quality with their data are:

CameraLabs
    Lens Rentals
    ePHOTOzine.

Lens rentals noteworthiness is that in their blogs, they used to also make commentary on some lenses' durabilty and fixability levels too.
    I can't remember this info being part of their reviewing, but if you havea particular lens you have in mind for purchase, and you'd like to know of the lenses level of manufacture, they have some of this info in their teardown blogs. How reliable is the focusing system, how durable is the internal mechanics, how easy to fix(eg. if it ever needed doing) etc.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bryan at TDP, so far as I know, doesn't do compact cameras. He used to only do Canon SLRs and lenses, plus third-party ones to match, but these days naturally does mirrorless ones, and for the last four or five years he's done a little bit of Nikon stuff as well. I haven't been there much to mention these last few years since Canon stopped making cameras I might be interested in.

Last time I noticed Canon were still making compact cameras but very few new models and only a small range these days. Let me check .... yep, the G9X has gone but they still make the G7X III and five other models. (One upon a time it would have been dozens.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    https://www.the-digital-picture.com Bryan has been running The Digital Picture for many years. He is careful, thorough, methodical, and very balanced. No other review site I have seen even comes close to TDP.
    "Powered by Christ" apparently. Can't get better than that!
    Canon 5Ds, 16-35mm F4 L, 24-105mm F4 L.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded62 View Post
    "Powered by Christ" apparently. Can't get better than that!
    Everything has it's positives and negatives, and websites and lens reviews are not immune to this phenomenon.