User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Comet EX-1 flash meter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comet EX-1 flash meter

I have an old 120 mm baffle type camera that has limited f-stops and shutter speeds. I'm looking at buying a cheap light meter to help me with exposure values.

Has anyone used the Comet EX-1 Flash meter as an exposure meter? It has an Ambient light mode so I assume it can be used to find out the values I need to set the camera for correct exposure?

Any advice welcome.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Spidy. I've never heard of the Comet EX-1 let alone used one. However, like you I'd assume that the 'ambient' mode would give you the info you need. I did a quick search and found a user manual but it was in Japanese and couldn't get google to translate - you might have more luck.

I have only an occasional need for a light meter so I use an app on my phone - this one. It's accurate but I find it a bit cumbersome to use - the ISO window is small and hard (for me) to read and is also easily moved accidentally. The app is also a bit hard to read in bright sunlight (but that's a phone issue more than the app). There is an IOS version available which offers a more modern user interface (as well as the 'classic' design I think). Cost's around $3 or $4 from memory.

If I was looking for a meter for frequent use I'd probably get a Sekonic L-208. (Highly reputable brand, after sales, warranty, etc).

If your camera has a shoe-mount, TTArtisans make a small 'box-shaped' meter (~ $100) that clips into the shoe-mount making for a 'tidy' setup. (I think it might be a copy of a Voigtlander model ?)

Anyhow, hope this helps some...
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidy View Post
    I have an old 120 mm baffle type camera that has limited f-stops and shutter speeds. I'm looking at buying a cheap light meter to help me with exposure values.

Has anyone used the Comet EX-1 Flash meter as an exposure meter? It has an Ambient light mode so I assume it can be used to find out the values I need to set the camera for correct exposure?

Any advice welcome.
    I'm wondering what you mean by "baffle" here. I thought perhaps "bellows", but if not, I'd like to know

I haven't used it, but from the light sensor dome and the description in this eBay ad, I'd say you can.

Gosh, talk about NO INFO about this product!!!

The PDF manual that Fillum found seems to be an image file, but I used Google Translate app over the part with
    symbols on page 8 of the manual and found that:
    - F is for ambient light, and the symbol is for flash.
    - It is also both an ambient light AND a reflected light meter, from page 7.

Good luck with further info.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG Yes, I meant bellows.

Fillum, thanks for the info. I ended up downloading a light meter app for Android. I think the light meter you link might confuse me. However, the Sekonic digital meters look interesting.

Ameerat42, thanks for translating. Though the price is right for the Comet, I think I might just wait and bite the bullet and buy a Sekonic. Probably the L-358.

I also have an Olympus OM-10 with Manual Adapter that I can potentially use the light meter for.

I'm only just getting back into film photography after a long hiatus. Looking forward to many adventures.

Thanks again guys for your time, effort and advice.