User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: how to photgraph clear objects?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how to photgraph clear objects?

i am trying to photograph clear flat pieces of acrylic, and so far been unable to. they are product photos for my online store.
    here is an exaample.. https://sixcubed.imgur.com/all

basically, the flat pieces all fit together to make the box. i can take a photo of the whole box ok, however when i try to take photos of indavidual pieces, it seem the whole lighting parameters are completely different, and after 30+ hrs, i still cant work out how to photograph them.

i am using a samsung s23 ultra

thankyou

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your link does not work. So hard to give you help when we cannot see the example.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by jfoldbar; 21-08-2023 at 10:46pm. Reason: more info

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I can see, you need to look at how you light these "clear" objects to separate them from
    (in this case) their dark background (BG). As shown here (and more on this below) the whole scene is
    illuminated, and you feature the BG as part of it. The other thing to look at is how you do the post
    processing (PP) of the images.

The lighting should "pick out" the main subject in some way, either to make it look "transparent" and
    only showing certain aspects of the subject, or by reflecting light from it for the whole lot.

Try shining narrow beams of light (by masking off your light source) from the sides, so that the light
    picks out the edges. The result should be something like the image I displayed below, but with a more
    reduced BG. The other method is to illuminate some light surface in front of your subject and have the
    white light reflect from it, again before a dark BG.

When doing PP on your images, aim to darken and diffuse the BG to make the subjects stand out. I do
    not know your skill level for this, nor what PP tools you have, so I won't be specific.

Lastly, presentation of images on AP: it's fair enough this time that you presented all your work in a
    single link this time. Usually, though, the images in question should display in the post itself without
    clicking through subsequent web pages. To achieve this, you copy the image location and paste it
    into the body of the post, using the format shown below without quotes:

"[img]"https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oZyVBAxpWd4dYGEC4rqC_-1ERsi9O4VT"[/img]"

And worse - I have found Google Drive links to be troublesome and impermanent for displaying links
    on forums.

Do ask if you need any further clarification.

CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all about lighting it correctly. I am no expert but here is someone who is (or at least seems to know what they're talking about): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfwe...hannel=Adorama

Also, a light tent is a cheap and effective way to light product shots.
    Last edited by Hawthy; 23-08-2023 at 9:26pm.
    Andrew