Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Not Really "Help", But...

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not Really "Help", But...

- A General Lament (and any insights would of course be appreciated)...

I connected my phone to the computer via USB this morning, with the aim of backing up some
    weeks worth of pics. After a while I got a repeat of the usual "B-DOING" connection sound, and
    then it stared going "B-DING, B-DANG, B-DOINGGG!!!" The connection was breaking off.

A different USB port, a different cable, all eventually did the same, so I suspect it's the port
    on the phone It's still within warranty, but what a pest!

I tried plugging it into the charger and that worked OK.

Now I decided to put in the SD card I got months ago and am transferring images to that. I will
    then remove it and use the USB card reader to xfer them to backup. After that, I will switch the
    camera to record straight to the SD card instead of to Internal Memory. That way I can take the
    card out and do backups.

(Did I say pest!?)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might find that your phone needs a reboot?
    Canon 5D Mark III, EF 15mm f/2.8 fisheye, EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS, Sigma 105mm f/2.8 DG Macro, Canon Speedlite 580EX, Canon Speedlite 580EX II

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, EM..., and I forgot to specifically mention that I had done so in my lament above
    However, putting the SD card into the phone required another switch off and re start.

I can now report that after inserting the SD card and backing up to that, I could connect it again
    later and copy the images from there to my computer. I will try it again with other folders.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 04-06-2023 at 11:21am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta love computers and devices.... When they work!!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    /

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I never connect any drones, cameras or phones by USB cable to my computers and have always used a card reader

Many computers in history past have had problems with their USB ports depending on the manufacturer
    You could try it on a different computer

However, if it's worked correctly for you using the same computer before, a software update to the phone or computer could be the cause of the problem

Regarding SD cards, some newer phones don't have a SD card port at all, so we will be forced to upload to a remote cloud storage, use wireless or a cable to transfer to our computers...

Some years ago, I went to update to a Samsung S4 phone as I checked that it had a SD card port and removable battery
    There was no stock so I bought an S5 model online. I knew but forgot that Samsung had taken out the S5 SD card slot and so I couldn't use a card reader

I never use cloud storage. I think I can manage to keep my photos and information more securely on my portable external USB SSD drives
    Last edited by flashc; 04-06-2023 at 5:37pm.
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input, Flash. But the Galaxy S5 does have a card slot. I had two of them
    floating about until recently. You just have to pull the back off them to access the card
    slot, which is above the SIM slot.

That was a good model, but the battery eventually would not hold charge, and even before
    that the OS was starting to show its obsolescence We upgraded to a Nokia G50 and a
    Samsung Galaxy A33, respectively, - both of which sport a 5000mAh battery Actually, try
    to find a like battery in the latest crop of phones!!!

Yes, for a couple of years card slots were treated as if they were on the nose, but they're
    coming back into vogue. Both ours have one, mine doubling as a spare SIM slot, but I found
    that having two SIMs in the one phone had drawbacks, so I sometimes carry two phones.

Now back to my er..., problem. Well, it hasn't played up since this morning, but I have been
    using a different cable. Oddly, it was playing up on this same cable as well this morning. I
    can't tell what - now if any - fault still exists, but I'm glaring at the phone, so it's on notice!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished reading this, I don’t have a mobile phone and got no idea how to fix your problem if this helps,,,

Al

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because of the time dilation effect, it did help, because it hasn't happened since that day.

When I'm game, I'll try the original USB cable again, but I hope it doesn't send me back
    in time - or worse, the future!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Because of the time dilation effect, it did help, because it hasn't happened since that day.

When I'm game, I'll try the original USB cable again, but I hope it doesn't send me back
    in time - or worse, the future!
    Glad I could help

Al

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't really help the current situation, but I'd swear by my current camera/phone set-up to anyone interested in photography.

I use the Lightroom Mobile app (does not require an Adobe subscription - free app) and this app has a camera function within. I take all my pics through this app because you have the option to shoot in RAW (DNG files, to be exact). Then, when it comes time to upload to your computer, I upload and share the photos via Airdrop, which kindly drops all the photos, as DNG files, into the Downloads folder on my laptop. Very smooth, and no cables required.

Just for future reference, if this interests you.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta, Geoff. Half of my cable connection needs are for phone charging.
    Yes, I have found hat the USB connection is also the fastest for file
    transfer. The Bluetooth took too many clicks to establish, and the xfer
    rate is lower than for the cable.