User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: sony lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sony lens

can someone help me understand the need or why you would need a $20000 600 f4 over a 200-600 f5.6-6.3 . I realise the f4 allows a lot more light in but with the technology of the mirrorless bodies and the high iso numbers on these new cameras wouldnt this over ride the need for such an expensive lens. I hope this is not a stupid question and to add a bit more to this i use the first edition 5D with a sigma 150-600c for bird photos and if i was to put my sigma lens onto a sony a1 body would this improve the quality of my photos ?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzza View Post
    can someone help me understand the need or why you would need a $20000 600 f4 over a 200-600 f5.6-6.3 . I realise the f4 allows a lot more light in but with the technology of the mirrorless bodies and the high iso numbers on these new cameras wouldnt this over ride the need for such an expensive lens. I hope this is not a stupid question and to add a bit more to this i use the first edition 5D with a sigma 150-600c for bird photos and if i was to put my sigma lens onto a sony a1 body would this improve the quality of my photos ?
    It's a pretty hard question. You've no doubt done a bit of research already to try to get an answer.
    I did too, and just as hard is to separate the guff from useful info in some of the reviews. The main
    such piece of info I got to separate the two lenses was that the 600/4 could boast a [marginally]
    better IQ. Thus, if you "need" that edge, and if you could afford it, that lens might be the one for you.

The thing is that both lenses exist, and there must be a reason for that besides just for maximising
    sales by catering for all market segments.

Other than that (IQ) I can't think of any reason for the "need" in your curve-ball question.
    Clearly, you are not asking about affordability, nor why one is so much dearer than the other.

Only in closing, and not as a usual opening platitude, let me assure you: "Good question."

I look forward to seeing further replies about this.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 14-04-2023 at 5:45am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your thoughts and your right it’s not about the money it really is about the performance or capabilities of the equipment and I guess your own skill level to be able to get the most out of your equipment and I put this question in Sony gear because this is what I think I would like to purchase

There is a bit more to this question but it’s more about photography than brand so I will start a new thread under general photography or something

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your thoughts and your right it’s not about the money it really is about the performance or capabilities of the equipment and I guess your own skill level to be able to get the most out of your equipment and I put this question in Sony gear because this is what I think I would like to purchase

There is a bit more to this question but it’s more about photography than brand so I will start a new thread under general photography or something