This topic often comes up in various forums. Up until now I think we can agree the reason could back up has not taken off domestically is most likely due to the speed of uploading GB/TB's of data. Cost has also been a factor (for me anyway).

I normally load all my photos onto an external hard disk tethered to my laptop and that in turn is back up to a NAS in another room. Every now and again I do a copy of my external hard disk and put it in a safe. This method has worked fine for me but it is not without its faults (break-ins, fire, and not copying over to the disk in the safe often enough).

Most of my non photographic data is kept in my MS OneDrive. I find this very convenient because I can access it from many different devices over a wide geographic area.

Recently I started investigating cloud back up and how has it changed. I found a place where the cost is affordable ($60AUD for 5TB of space). Around three years ago we moved from wireless internet to the NBN and more recently the infrastructure has been upgraded to fibre to the house - so this gets over most of my upload speed issues.

I have decided to take the plunge and back up around 3TB of data to the cloud. The initial back will take approx 1000 hours (give or take) but this is no inconvenience as it just runs in the back ground (had to stop my laptop from going to sleep). Once it is fully backed up then it becomes an automatic back up as files change. I can restore one file, one folder or it worst comes to worst the complete back up data itself.

The company I chose are based in Sydney and I have already tested their support desk for some help in the initial set up (and they were excellent).